It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to open Uranium Enrichment Center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Russia and Kazakhstan are going to open a uranium enrichment center in the city of Angarsk. The idea is to defuse situations like Irans nuclear program. Countries could get their uranium from there and then return it. Thereby removing the potential for misuse.

en.rian.ru
Earlier in October, Russia and Kazakhstan established their first joint venture to enrich uranium in Angarsk, near Irkutsk, about 5,000 km (3,100 miles) east of Moscow.

The city "has always been connected with the nuclear sector's civilian side. The enterprise in Angarsk can be put under IAEA control, and it has additional reserve capacities," Kiriyenko said then.

Kazakhstan holds 15% of the world's uranium reserves and has an expanding mining sector, which aims to hit at an annual production of 15,000 tons of uranium by 2010. Under the Soviet system, Russia and Kazakhstan shared a nuclear power infrastructure under the Ministry of Medium Machine Building.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Great, just what the world needs, more radioactive material. Although it 'shouldn't' be weapons grade, I still don't have a good feeling about this.

But, on the other hand, we do need to save the planet from global warming. So we'd better start finding alternative means of getting our energy.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is probably the most progressive idea on the table that I've yet seen. I figure so long as Iran has nuclear energy but can't use it for weapons then there's really no problem. Hopefully with proper security (which I'll admit will take a lot of work), we could see an actual compromise instead of this my way or the highway BS that both parties keep spewing.

new topics

join