It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europeans move Iran resolution without U.S

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   

The European-drafted resolution would ban most nuclear and missile cooperation with Iran, according to portions of a draft version read to Reuters. It would halt overseas financial transactions and travel by Iranians involved in the nuclear program, except for certain humanitarian-related trips.

"States shall take necessary measures to prevent the supply, sale or transfer directly or indirectly from their territories or by their nationals or using their flag vessels or aircraft to, or for the use in or benefit of, Iran and whether or not originating in their territories, of all items, materials, equipment, goods and technology which could contribute to Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile programs," the draft states.

States should also "take the necessary measures to prevent the provision to Iran of technical assistance or training, financial assistance, investment brokering or other services and the transfer of financial resources or services related to Iran's nuclear or ballistic missile programs," it says.

The draft exempts "construction" of Bushehr and appears to allow some 1,500 Russians to continue working at the site in southwestern Iran, said the European diplomat.

The exemption does not extend to fuel deliveries, the diplomat said, meaning Russia would not be permitted to fuel the reactor, which it promised under contract to do in 2007.Nuclear-related technical assistance to Iran by the International Atomic Energy Agency would be limited to "medical or humanitarian purposes" or "safety standards," according to the draft.The diplomat said most IAEA technical cooperation concerns safety issues at Bushehr and thus could continue.

Source

I wonder how Iran will react on those sactions (as soon as they are implemented). Ahmadinejad stressed that Iran would not sit down and wait like Iraq did. Let's see if he's a man of its words, since he's been saying a lot, yet none of his words has become reality.

Edn

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Lol there must be some dumb people at the head of the EU. They seem to think Iran would need outside help to go forward with there nuclear plans? sure it would help but I'm fairly sure Iran has its own nuclear engineers and scientists.

The only thing they are ensuring is forcing a possibly undereducated country on the workings on nuclear power to try and work things out on there own which could end up leading to accidents.

[edit on 25-10-2006 by Edn]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Lol there must be some dumb people at the head of the EU. They seem to think Iran would need outside help to go forward with there nuclear plans?

I am a European myself and proud of my country being a member of the European Union.. but yes, I also question the capabilities of the Union's leaders. I am not a champion of Bush, but I admire his leading skills, which in my opinion some European leaders tend to have a lack of.

Originally posted by Edn
sure it would help but I'm fairly sure Iran has its own nuclear engineers and scientists.

They are dependent on Russia. Why do you think Russia is constructing the Bushehr facility, why do you think Russia delivers the nuclear fuel? Because Iran is not capable of doing so (yet). They are, like Chinese, capable of copying Russian and Western products and then reproduce on a massive scale.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   

UNITED NATIONS The United States indicated it wants tougher sanctions on Iran for refusing to suspend uranium enrichment than the measures in a U.N. resolution drafted by Britain, France and Germany.

European diplomats said the proposed sanctions — banning the sale of missile and nuclear technology to Iran and ending most U.N. help for its nuclear programs — are narrowly focused in hopes of winning Russian and Chinese backing.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Wednesday the Europeans, who have been the main negotiators with Iran, were left with "no choice" but to pursue sanctions after Tehran's refusal to halt uranium enrichment.

The United States, which has consistently pushed for tough sanctions to punish Iran for defying a Security Council resolution to suspend enrichment by Aug. 31, indicated the European proposals were too weak.
Herald Tribune

Suddenly, I remember the US abusing its veto to block resolutions forcing Israel to stop its violent campaign in Lebanon at once. Fortunately, this time the tables are turned as both Russia and China won't agree with tougher sanctions.

Besides, the European proposal seems balanced enough to me:

The draft resolution orders all countries to prevent the sale and supply of material and technology that could contribute to Iran's nuclear and missile programs, he said. It imposes a travel ban and freezes the assets of people involved in these programs — and also orders countries to freeze the assets of companies and organizations involved in Iran's nuclear and missile programs.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I am not a champion of Bush, but I admire his leading skills

Like? Really, this is Cheney who's running the show, not little Bush.

top topics

join