It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for some experts on antique cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I have a 1977 Oldsmobile that has original motor and is still running, (does need some body work and interior work to spiff it up, some damage to body behind left rear wheel).

Hubby and me were looking through a car magazine and it is reported the year this one was made that they only put in a certain type of engine (small difference in engine) in 350 cars that year, we have one of those that only 350 were ever made. I'm trying to find out the value as is, and after we have the work done on it. I imagine there aren't many of those left.

I've went to a few of those car enthusiast's website but can't find out much. I'm hoping someone here will either know where to go or who to ask, or know the value because they are an expert on such things. TIA

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Can you be a little more specific on what engine type your Olds has compared to the total production? Engines in themselves may have been a unique option for your car at that time, but not exactly a rare find for an engine. Considering all things, if the car itself is unique with that engine then that would be something, which is what you are trying to get at.

So, what engine displacement are you looking at here and any other characteristics that made it rare?

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The first thing that comes to my mind is the cars equipped with a 350 regular engine converted to diesel engine by Oldsmobile. I believe those are unique for 1977 as well as Oldsmobile but most there are a lot more than 350 made. Could you post a couple of pictures of the engine?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It ROCKED!

I miss my olds cutlass's. Those things would run forever and haul a..

Produced from 1968 through 1980, the Rocket 350 was entirely different from the other GM divsions 350's. It used a 4.057 in (103 mm) bore and Oldsmobile small-block standard 3.385 in (86 mm) stroke for 350 in³ (5.7 L). 1968-1974 350s were painted gold, while 1975-1980 models were metallic blue, at which time the "Rocket" name disappeared from the air cleaner decal. Output ranged from 160 to 320 hp (119 to 238 kW). All Oldsmobile 350 engines had cast-iron crankshafts with harmonic balancers.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.google.com...

Still pretty hard to consider a '77 an antique. Guess I'm getting pretty old.

[edit on 1/20/07 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
First off, post the make of the car, delta 99, S coupe, etc., and maybe some photos of the engine and car exterior/interior, this would make things SO much easier.

Technically, a vehicle over 25 years of age is considered "antique", yet most gearheads give it till 50 for it be be a true antique in their minds.

I have a 71 rocket 350 S coupe, all original (currently being restored), and it runs excellent, just as it did with 10 miles on it. It's over 30, and I consider it a muscle car, not an antique, but for the record books, let DMV sort it out.

It's all just paperwork anyway.

The most obvious thing that comes to mind in '77 is that Oldsmobile reached the 1 mil. mark of # of vehicles made in one production year.
Also in '77, Olds had to deal with the "chevymobile", in which they (unknown to the public or dealers) switched the olds rocket with the LM1 350 from Chevy. While this was still a GM product, and virtually the same, save some minor bore/stroke ratios, it no different, but with a rocket sticker on the air cleaner. The public didn't really like being decieved, so Olds offered for thier customers to come back and swap it with a true oldsmobile-motored car. This was not really rare, and was rather common. It created alot of stink with the buying market, but it didn't classify the '77 as rare.

As far as the diesel, I don't believe that was an option until 78, to which buick also offered a 231 v-6 as option to the 350 as well. If your model is a late '77 production model, it could be billed as a 78, but that can only be designated by the vin tag. This diesel was only put into the 88 and 98 versions starting in "production year" '78. The diesel came with a special rotary-injection pump to replace the car and distributor that worked in sub-zero temps.

One special note though, in '77, after the gas cruch, olds was concerned about weight vs. gas consumption, so they opted for use of some aluminum parts, such as a hood. Other parts may have been used fashioned out of aluminum, but I am unsure on what. They did offer a 4-4-2 option in '77, although it was more appearance than anything, to which the front of the car was sloped.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but if you need more info, try looking up the vin classification and researching the head stampings HERE

Other sites you could try are:

A good olds forum, dedicated to all things Oldsmobile
Olds performance site/forum
My favorite automotive site--any vehicle question on the planet you want answered.

I hope this helps at least a little, but I am interested in seeing what you have there, care to post some pics?

Good luck

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Sorry, double post, mods plz delete

thank you.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Kingalbrect79]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. .

It's a 1977 2 door sedan, 442 oldsmobile with a 403 engine, only three hundred and fifty of them were made with that type of engine in 1977.

Sorry should have clarified that when I say the number 350 I am not referring to the rocket 350.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The 4-4-2 was a very powerful car in the late 60's and dipped a little, but still formidable in the early 70's, but after 72, the 4-4-2 was nothing more than a namebrand to sell more cars. The horsepower on those cars was FAR from stellar with all the new emissions being put into place.

It is still hard to come by though, even moreso than the older models, because not many people wanted them. It's like finding a saleen pinto, if it ever exsisted (it doesn't)

I would still be interested in seeing pictures of it anyway, as i'm sure some of the other members would as well. I don't think i've seen a 4-4-2 in any other years above 72. Oh, I did see one 80 Hurst-Olds, but that isn't the same.

Then I might be able to get an approximate value to the car.

I would need interior shots, engine shots, body shots, and mileage.
any other special things should be noted as well, like custom rims, special stereo, or anything like that.

Then I'll see what I can find for you.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The 442's were cool.

But ya, Kingalbrect79 is right about the 422 fading in the late 70's.

The 442 option was just a handling package, but its presence was announced in huge block letters on the door panel, and deck-lid, along with a sloped aerodynamic nose, a configuration that would be used in NASCAR racing. The $169 W-29 option included heavy duty shocks and springs, seven-inch wheels, and beefy sway bars. The 455 big-block was gone, but there was a new 403 cubic incher that provided 180nhp. The emphasis for the 442 option, as in the previous year, was strictly suspension and flashy graphics.

77 Olds 442

I think the 403 was stock on the 442 between 77 and 79 since the 455 was gone, but a common option was the 350. The 403 was not an uncommon motor for GM in general, and was used in a variety of vehicles during those years. So we would probably have to have the VIN # or more info about the motor to find out more details about the 350ea. of that 403 to help, since the 403 was common then.

Ebay has a catagory just for the 442, and you may want to check in on it to help you try to get a value on the car by the time you fix it up.

But in the end, the car will be what you make it during rebuild. Anywhere from $400 to...

$37,000 1977 Olds 442 w/455

$22,000 1977 Olds 442 w/350

$6,650 1977 Olds 442 w/455

Wiki 442
www.cardomain.com...
Olds Owners
442.com/Olds Faq

[edit on 1/21/07 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Thanks for all the info, hubby was aware the engine was not that powerful for the reasons you listed. We were not aware that only 350 of them were made with that type of engine until we picked up a car magazine with a story on the olds and that's where we found the info.

I guess we will start having it redone this summer, hubby has a friend who has a friend that can do the interior work, and I intend to have it painted at a body shop.

When we get it done, I will put some pics on here for you guys, it will probably take that long for me to figure out how to upload pics, hubby won't let me post pics until the car is looking in mint condition anyway. I am sure you guys understand that.

new topics

top topics

join