It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush acknowledges echoes of Vietnam in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
And yet there are still people that believe we can "Win" and that "victory can be obtained.To admit the similarites between Iraq and Vietnam,is to admit this war is unwinable.What echoes even more is the fact that this administartion is taking advice from Mr.Vietnam himself,Henry Kissenger.Seeing as there will be a mass pull out,with little accomplished,except a mass loss of life,ala Vietnam.So how many are going to sit back and continue to watch people slaughtered without purpose?

"Victory & To win"?

(Raw Story)-Asked by a reporter whether the latest deaths would prompt US President George W Bush to change strategy, White House spokesman Tony Snow said: "No, the strategy is to win."

Bush "grieves for the people who have served" in Iraq, but victory "comes at a cost," Snow said. rawstory.com...

And then he says this....

(The Times Online UK)-George Bush has for the first time conceded that there may be parallels between the increasing violence in Iraq and the brutal assault against the US during the Vietnam War.
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Asked in an interview last night if he agreed with the opinion of Tom Friedman, a New York Times columnist who compared the strife in Iraq with the Tet Offensive, the President responded: "He could be right. There’s certainly a stepped-up level of violence."
www.timesonline.co.uk...

It is the first admission from the President that similarities may exist between the two conflicts. When talking about Iraq, Mr Bush has until now been keen to avoid references to Vietnam for fear of souring opinion further against the war. Donald Rumsfeld, Defence Secretary and one of the Iraq war’s most determined defenders, has always rejected Vietnam comparisons in the past. www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Yeah,I heard about this interview on talk radio this morning. The talking heads are fuming about some of Bush's remarks of there being similarities between Iraq and Vietnam. Hey, it is what it is. It surprises me that he has even addressed the notion,really.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Yeah,I heard about this interview on talk radio this morning. The talking heads are fuming about some of Bush's remarks of there being similarities between Iraq and Vietnam. Hey, it is what it is. It surprises me that he has even addressed the notion,really.

For what it is worth,I really do not se the parallells though,other than it being a quagmire. We haven't even come close to losing as many soldiers as we had lost at this point in Vietnam. We were losing 5,000+ soldiers every year in Vietnam. How many have we lost in 3 years time in Iraq, a little over 3,000? I don't see the similarities figure wise.

[edit on 19-10-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Mmmmmmm.... so Bunnypants see's parallels with Vietnam. Another war during which he sat safely at home enjoying the trappings of an elitist lifestyle

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Britguy, my dad,God bless him, when he was still living used to call George W.Bush "shortie." I started laughing and asked him why he called him that. My dad said, "Well, if you pay attention, he is always shorter than everyone else around him." I suppose it's true. Bush only stands about 5'11".

new topics

top topics

join