It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Base - Dawsonville GA

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder413
BTW,
I don't think I have anything going on this weekend. If I get a chance I will run over to Dawson Forest and snap some pictures to post.

In the mean time. Here is a link to some pictures of Dawson Forest on the GeoCaching web site. The picture called "The Ford" is the reason you need a four wheel drive to continue down the gravel road I mentioned before.

www.geocaching.com...

I would just like to say excellent post above, describing the base in the best detail yet on this thread. If you ever do return to the base, remember to bring a camera and try to snap some clear, relevant pictures that could give us a better visual of the base and its surroundings. I myself, am still planning a trip to the Dawsonville area to study this base for myself. Despite a lot of people already have seeing this for themselves, I would like to be added to that category.

I don't have a definitive date for when I will be travelling to the Dawsonville base, Hopefully before next spring, but as far as my work schedule is concerned, I won't be sure for some time.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is cool stuff. I wish I had a secret underground base teeming with radioactivity nearby. I wonder if the whole "nuclear" part is a smokescreen, a thing to try and scare potential snoopers away, or if it really is just a nuclear wasteland that will make you have three-headed babies if you happen to get past the concrete. If the rumor you heard about there being trucks and file cabinets down there is true, it would interest me to know why they would seal it all up like that. Were they afraid of going there to get the stuff back? What's down there? Man I wish I still lived in Georgia!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
whatafoolbelieves is right....

To tell you all a little about myself. I live 1/4 mile from the Dawson Forest, Atlanta Tract entrance. I work for the local government and I have spent time with the DNR and walked with the guys with thier radiological meters while they do thier triannually check ups. Most things spoken of here was corrected by whatafoolbelieves. The rest is easy and can be found at the University of Georgia, in the open records and researches. The event that closed the facility was in combination with the change of presedency, money's allocated for the research, redirection towards nuclear subs, and a tornado that caused a small spill of powderized cobalt 66 on a hill side. (which was an expensive event) NOT A COVER UP, just plain politics, millitary research and money. Many urban legends and myths have encircled this place and TONS of adults and children have destructively tried to make entry into these places spoken of. Some people have been successful on entry, but it is blocked off for the publics safety for a reason. As far as real danger..... Above ground there is none, the fences are there to keep people from climbing on these structures and the cost of tearing it all down and hauling it all away would be costly as well. It is a cool place and it's an interesting piece of N GA history. I walk around there all of the time exploring and there is A LOT to see. Old train tracks, substations for water and power, old bridges, underground hallways, old roads, tombed equiment, old shielding walls, and more. Be safe everyone and if you have anymore questions, I will check this thing a few more times. See Ya.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawsoninformer
whatafoolbelieves is right....

To tell you all a little about myself. I live 1/4 mile from the Dawson Forest, Atlanta Tract entrance. I work for the local government and I have spent time with the DNR and walked with the guys with thier radiological meters while they do thier triannually check ups. Most things spoken of here was corrected by whatafoolbelieves. The rest is easy and can be found at the University of Georgia, in the open records and researches. The event that closed the facility was in combination with the change of presedency, money's allocated for the research, redirection towards nuclear subs, and a tornado that caused a small spill of powderized cobalt 66 on a hill side. (which was an expensive event) NOT A COVER UP, just plain politics, millitary research and money. Many urban legends and myths have encircled this place and TONS of adults and children have destructively tried to make entry into these places spoken of. Some people have been successful on entry, but it is blocked off for the publics safety for a reason. As far as real danger..... Above ground there is none, the fences are there to keep people from climbing on these structures and the cost of tearing it all down and hauling it all away would be costly as well. It is a cool place and it's an interesting piece of N GA history. I walk around there all of the time exploring and there is A LOT to see. Old train tracks, substations for water and power, old bridges, underground hallways, old roads, tombed equiment, old shielding walls, and more. Be safe everyone and if you have anymore questions, I will check this thing a few more times. See Ya.

Do you think it would be appropriate if you could spend an afternoon guiding a select group of ATSers to the site? I know I'd come from Atlanta to Dawsonville for such an outing.....

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
A guided tour would be fine. I can make time to spend in the forest. It would be more of an all-day'er, than an evening. This IS 10,000 sqaure acres and some terrible terrain. I would encourage for the people to be in good physical condition and to be prepaired to cover up to 8-10 miles of foot travel. I use GPS for most of my travels, but the forest is thick and unforgiving in this area. Depending on how much exploring that is desired, we can stay on most of the horse trails and bike trails. Following these trails does make the venture longer though. It's been a year since I've made time to actually hoof this place, but I'll go again.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawsoninformer
A guided tour would be fine. I can make time to spend in the forest. It would be more of an all-day'er, than an evening. This IS 10,000 sqaure acres and some terrible terrain. I would encourage for the people to be in good physical condition and to be prepaired to cover up to 8-10 miles of foot travel. I use GPS for most of my travels, but the forest is thick and unforgiving in this area. Depending on how much exploring that is desired, we can stay on most of the horse trails and bike trails. Following these trails does make the venture longer though. It's been a year since I've made time to actually hoof this place, but I'll go again.

Man I am down. How does the week after Xmas look for you?

As far as the hike. I have been hitting streaches of the AT here in the Mts. of Va and trails in W.VA. So a 8-10 mile hike at a measly couple of hundred feet is nothing! LOL

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hello,

I am a regular visitor to Dawson Forest and can offer some evidence to support Hexed.

I hunt there often and have found a number of strange things.

Before I hunt in an area I load up google earth to scout out the area. The satilite image over the "base" that Hexed was speaking of has an interesting faded circle around it. I think it is what is left over from a massive "tree circle" Much like a crop circle, only much much bigger...

We know that other crop circles are created when alien ships land. I wouldn't want to imagine the size of the ship that made this circle.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Whatafoolbelieves offers some correct information. I think some others need to ease off the weed a bit.
I hunt the property, know most of the guys that work there and can offer this bit of info. Anyone visiting the property should stay out of the fenced areas. It cost time and money to repair the fence when people go in thinking there is some secret base they'll find. They will find nothing more than what they can see from outside the fence. Fact: If people are caught behind the fenced areas and have damaged the fence entering you can be charged with a felony so ask yourself is it worth it. Fact: DNR is watching these areas because people continue to enter in order to find absolutely nothing.

Fact: The 10,000 acre portion of Dawson Forest mentioned here is owned by the City of Atlanta. The Georgia DNR manages the wildlife, recreation and covers primary law enforcement. The Georgia Forestry Commission manages the Forest Resources and maintains the roads, fences, boundary lines etc. There is no cover up, ongoing secrets, or hidden treasures. The reason some of the buildings have the entrances blocked with steel doors and dirt is because people continue to try and gain access thinking they'll find some big secret. They wont! All people do is end up costing the city money repairing the damage. This place cost the public nothing to use other than the small fee for trail use and a hunting permit. People should enjoy the place for what it is and stay out of places they shouldn’t be.

The circle shown in the above photo is the remains of the 1000 yard perimeter fence that the government installed around the nuclear reactor site. Yes, there was a nuclear reactor on the property. The radioactive material was loaded onto train cars and moved to the cooling off area across the river (The bridge crossing you see at the river) and then once it cooled the material was moved into the hot cell building (the building behind the fence at the back of the parking area) where it was used to perform test. Test included how parts IE: seals and hydraulic hoses were affected by the radiation levels that would be seen during an operational aircraft. Due to a number of factors the nuclear powered airplane was never produced for use by the military. Some of the things learned at the GNAL facility (Dawson Forest) have been used in other developments by the government. Remember that this place was in operating during the Cold War. Top Secret activities were occurring and the place was guarded. It was a research facility people, you maintain a high level of security for these places. There was also a perimeter fence around the entire property so as to allow patrols by jeeps etc. A few of the offices and access tunnels were underground as are many of the old and new government facilities. There is nothing unusual about office buildings being underground. We were in a Cold War with the Soviet Union and the federal govt. took steps to insure security of such areas. Fact is, all of the underground office entrances were covered up with dirt so people wouldn’t enter into the places and drown or either fall in the dark and hurt themselves. It was a liability issue for the city so common sense tells you they have to be covered up with dirt , steel and concrete to keep people who think they’ll find something out. Ground water over the years has in fact flooded some of the underground office space but they are nothing more then empty concrete holes.

People with an interest of the history of the place can find out more by simply asking the DNR, GFC and reports on the web than trespassing into the fenced areas and spending the day walking around thinking they’ll find something. Even if people find something interesting they some times don’t know what they’ll looking at. There is no big secret to the place people. It is what it is. There is no dangerous level of radiation on the place so don’t go in thinking you’ll find something more than the EPA and EPD.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Piney
Whatafoolbelieves offers some correct information. I think some others need to ease off the weed a bit.
I hunt the property, know most of the guys that work there and can offer this bit of info. Anyone visiting the property should stay out of the fenced areas. It cost time and money to repair the fence when people go in thinking there is some secret base they'll find. They will find nothing more than what they can see from outside the fence. Fact: If people are caught behind the fenced areas and have damaged the fence entering you can be charged with a felony so ask yourself is it worth it. Fact: DNR is watching these areas because people continue to enter in order to find absolutely nothing.

Wait...I thought DNR monitored the ambient radiation levels of the area & nothing more? At least that's what was suggested of the Georgia EPA docs I found....

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Piney

The circle shown in the above photo is the remains of the 1000 yard perimeter fence that the government installed around the nuclear reactor site.

Not it's not. It's a landing pad for the mothership! I think you are an alien / human replicant just trying to throw us off the scent. The scent of aliens!

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
You said it right!...

These guys are over the edge for this thing. I like the space ship idea! (great for a laugh) Bagged me a decent seven pointer in Dawson Forest yesterday in the rain. You guys be safe and try not to get into too much trouble over this old place. It is neet to see, but no mystery here in D'Ville, just beautiful woods, mountains and rivers. ( and a few leftover remains of a neuclear test facillity) Take care and be safe.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
the history behind dawson forest is interesting. but, as much as everyone would like for there to be a cover-up, there is none. seven pointer huh? that's not bad at all, especially in the rain. did you stalk him or bag him from a stand? i hunt near a food plot that is close to devil's elbow on the north side of dawson forest. last year i killed two does during the first hunt in november. i would have liked to killed a buck, but i also wanted to fill the freezer at home so i took the does.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Aww come on Big P. I will not allow anyone to deface Govt property. I wanna see it ...just because. Look ya seen it....I have not. So i want to. You should join us. Help give the tour! I am buying the first round afterwards!

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
DNR's EPD division continues to monitor radiation levels but they have nothing to do with the management of the property other than making necessary recommendations related to areas were there used to be possible issues with radiation and public use. DNR's Wildife Resources division in cooperation with GFC has management input on the property. My understanding is EPD only comes out a couple times a year.

All of the old buildings are on the south end of the property. You can walk out and stand on top of the old reactor cavity. There is no fence around the reactor site. Enter the south gate and go to the pavement ends. The road continues to the old river crossing but you can park at the reactor site and walk around if you want. There are a few old walls left but its really pretty boring if you come expecting to see something real impressive. The reactor was small, only big enough to produce material for testing and possible production of an engine of sorts. I ran into two old fellows a year or so ago that worked at the site during its operation. They offered some interesting information. According to the gray beards Georgia Tech had another small reactor on site that they were using for experiments and such.

[edit on 4-12-2006 by Big Piney]

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Ok Folks back in ATL!!!!! Will be until the 2nd of Jan. Anyone up for a little hike?

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIEGE
What a great post. I envy you. Being so close and having tangible evidence
is like having your cake and eating it too!
Do you plan to return? Have you drawn a map of the lay-out of the base itself?
Did you find any signs or references to private companies on the base?
Could you talk to the company that poured the concrete, and ask them to verify
some of your findings?
Pictures?
Surely someone local knows something as most bases are not self-sustaining
indefinitely.
Good luck. And don't go alone again. Not good practice.
i agree with you so dont go alone

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This is my first post and I live in Cumming and have heard about this whole Dawson Forrest Lockheed base. I have been wanting to check it out for myself, however everyone I know is too scared to go check it out with me. Whats funny to me is that i just had a conversation with a friend of mine that has been out there and basically could draw you a map to see the buildings and the building that used to contain the reactor. Hexed was quite dead on with everything according to my friend and what he explained to me. I have been in the Cumming area just over 7 years and have been wanting to go out there. I am truly down if anyone wants to go. No sledgehammers though. My friend tried getting into one of the buildings and he said after 20 minutes or so of beating on the concrete DNR showed up and asked what they were doing. He replied "trying to get in there to see whats down there" DNR told him it is about 9 stories deep and flooded now please leave. So apparently DNR keeps a close eye on the area. I will be going out there soon and I definatly will take pictures.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
members.tripod.com...

use that to break the concrete without making too much noise or commotion. It may take a day or two (or of course never work at all) or maybe a few hours.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
www.angelfire.com...

sorry that is a better link

Everything in nature vibrates at a certain frequency. When an object is vibrated at its natural resonance, it begins to undergo severe shock, as it tries to shake itself apart. It would be ludicrous to imagine that a tiny oscillator could by itself bring down a building, if not for the principle of resonance. Like a child on a swing, only a very small force is required to maintain a fairly large reciprocating motion. A major vibration could be established in a house by coinciding each stroke of the piston with the return of the individual vibrations through the building to where the oscillator is. Every time the piston hits, it magnifies the force a little more. At frequencies of 1000Hz, the force build-up can be very appreciable! The frequency of resonance is linked to the time it takes for the vibrations to spread out through the building, reverberate, and the "echoes" to return to the oscillator again. By finding the correct frequency, ANY structure can be destroyed. In fact, the larger it is, the lower the resonant frequency is, so the easier it is to destroy. Tesla once joked that he could split the Earth with one of these devices, and no-one ever knew if he was joking....................

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I was keeping up on this thread and had forgotten about it until today and I've been reading all of the last posts.

Do any of you think it strange that several people are trying their best to discourage you guys from going in there?
Also, it seems to me that some of their posts are copy and pasted .

Are all of you still going there?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join