It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well now I'm truly disgusted, but not surprised

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The thread about US soldiers killing a British reporter has two pages of replies, meanwhile the thread about a Navy seal throwing himself on a grenade to save his fellow seals has seven replies. That tells me just how people think about the USA-obviously we can't do anything right. I guess it's much more hip to be an armchair general or diplomat and bash us, than it is to take a moment and recognize this man's bravery and admit than one American did a valiant thing. Okay, I get it now, and thanks...

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Or could it be that a Seal selflessly sacrificing himself isn't a surprise? That's what I thought when I read the thread. You are comparing apples to oranges imo.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It may not be a surprise to those aware of such groups but the average citizen can't compute what this means I think. Would they do it? To the average person such selfless acts would label you as crazy by many.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
With all due respect to our troops and their families. Most people get upset at the idea of War and what the troops put themsleves through. The public has been mildly upset about the wars and all, and when they come to the boards. It's unlikely most people want to discuss it.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Deltaboy posted that in recognition of an honorable man, and short of that recognition, there isn't much else to be said.

Things like this are not open to debate; there isn't much you can type that sufficiently acknowledges the sacrifice this soldier made for his team.

I understand your point stan, but in a thread like this, all any of us could do is try to relate to it through personal opinions or experience, which would just be a stain on the subject.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
I just this second read this story and was wondering if it was posted on ATS.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Jak

[edit on 14/10/06 by JAK]

How can you debate that? That's why there isn't more discussion on that topic.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If we weren't lied to in the first place, the Seal would be alive today, the reporter would be alive today, all those servicemen would never be on trial for murder and torture, people wouldn't be so down on America as much and most importantly thousands of innocent Iraqi's who never even thought about hurting a hair on an American head would be alive today.

Instead of blaming people for having the feelings they do have towards us, blame the people who put us in this position , and lied right to your face to get there.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

How can you debate that? That's why there isn't more discussion on that topic.

I didn't think there should be debate on that thread at all-just recognition, however small. My point was that people come out of the woodwork to bash Americans but are somewhat slow to recognize the good things. I don't in any way think that a few words on a board could be a reasonable tribute to a person who would give his life for another, I was really commenting on the fact that even a sacrifice such as this couldn't get the bashers to take a moment and type the words "good man." It just made me mad but in the scheme of things it doesn't matter, I can't expect others to think the way I do, I come from a big military family, so I guess I'm skewed.

top topics

join