It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borley rectory.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I heard this story a long time ago, and its suposed true. Here goes...
The rectory was built by the Rev. Henry D. E. Bull in 1863 near the river Stour, Essex, to house himself, his wife and their 14 children. The house was said to be haunted monks built a monastery on the site which would later hold the rectory. Legend told of a nun from the Bures convent, 7 miles southeast of Borley falling in love with a monk from the monastery. They had decided to elope to be together, but the elders discovered their plans. A friend of the monk was to drive a carriage to help them escape. On the fateful night they were captured by the elders. The coachman was beheaded, the monk hanged and the nun was bricked up alive in the walls of the vaults beneath the rectory. Their ghosts have haunted the site ever since.

Every night they would see a ghostly figure, walking down thier pathway. Sometimes even a horse drawn cariage. One time thile they were playing tennis, they saw a nun looking through a window in thier house. It happened regularly. Eventually they bricked up the window out of fear. When the father died, the younger Bull was named Harry. He heard voices saying 'Dont, carlos' The voices called him Carlos.

They also experianced Lights being switched on and off and rocks throw. One of the more famous paranormal activities was the writing on the wall

The ghost or poltergeist would be writing or scribbling on the wall. But the scribbles can be made out ever so slightly.

The ghosts got more violent. They were breaking glass objects, and throwing metal around. After an atempted excoricism, One of the daughters was being thrown out of bed. I am not sure but i think the family left the house and it was re-purchased. One night the house caught a-blaze and was burnt to the ground. A few weeks later in the rubble, a picture was taken of a floating brick.
Please read the full story here
www.ghost-story.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Scary Story
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by Sapphire]

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   
A Professional Ghost Hunter did some in-depth research into Borley a few years ago accompanied by a TV documentary crew (I wish I could remember what the program was called!).

He spent two weeks in Borley with his team of Ghost Hunters, and what he found is that that Rectory site itself showed no evidence of haunting whatsoever. However the local church yielded some very spooky results. Tape recorders and cameras malfunctioning, strange voices and noises picked up on tape etc, when there was no-one inside the church and the building locked from outside.

The flying brick? Myth. It's just a brick being thrown through the air, nothing paranormal about it atall. The guy who took the photograph has stated previously that it was a 'lucky' photo taken when the builders were ripping the place apart after the fire, and one threw a brick through the door just as he was taking a photo.

I've just recently 're-discovered' my interest in such ghostly matters online, and what really amazes me is how many websites pass off information as fact (the flying brick for example), when they have either been thoroughly debunked, or an explanation given by the photographer, in a number of offline written sources.

It's the same with UFOs. It seems the vast majority of sites carry pictures which are, if you bother to read books, classic fakes, yet are proclaimed online as amazing evidence of fact. Again, I've seen instances where the original faker has admitted and explained how they took a photo (anything up to twenty years previously in some cases!), yet that photo is the main body of proof for the existance of UFOs online.

The dangerous thing about this is that it damages the integrity of 'the paranormal', and only serves as more 'un-proof' for the non-believers to laugh at.

The good thing about the internet is that information can be attained freely and easily. The bad thing about this is that people do tend to take incorrect information from one source, and perpetuate (wether by accident or design) the fake/false story. People these days all too often confuse the act of taking information from one website and placing it on their own with the act of 'research'. If you're constructing a website about the Moon, and a guy down the pub told you it was made of cheese, would you then state that on your website? Hopefully no, you'd check up with a variety of sources beforehand, offline and on.

However, to many paranormal websitebuilders, the moon, sadly, is cheese.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Very interesting story. The history on it is amazing. And Sabby, thanks for your inquiry, now I won't take things that I see online out of context, but rather as a means of information yet to be proven or unproven.

join