It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mysterious book about earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
my dad once told me a story about a book. it is called the "Whole Earth Book" this book i was told holds all the earths history between its covers. my dad told me that this book makes its way around to the people that need to see it and then it just disappears. i have looked and looked and even brought the subject bakc up to pops but he dismissed me telling me to forget about it. he said the knowledge it holds is dangerous. does this ring any bells or does anyone know about it? let me know

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Wow very interesting, I am not usually one to put much stock in such a thread; but for some reason this post is very intriguing. Good find (well find not so much, you know what I mean!) Looking forward to everyone elses input.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It's an urban legend that arose sometime in the 1970's-1980's. There were any number of these legends going around (including secret books of life, etc, etc.) When you try to check out the origin, it's always "someone said" or "it mysteriously vanished" or "in the hands of a secret sect in Tibet"... and so forth. It's also (mysteriously) available in some language that is able to be translated only by the person reading it (have you ever tried to translate a foreign language text... a language and alphabet you didn't know?) and is in the hands of some guardians.

Usually.

Anyway, sorry, this is an urban legend.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
While I haven't heard of this particular urban legend, that is what it sounds like to me. This would make a cool idea for a novel though, if that isn't where the idea came from in the first place.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
sounds like the book of mormon to me
www.irr.org...
you have to translate the original by sticking your face in a hat and it only works if your name is Joseph Smith and you have had a chat with Jesus first
allegedly

IIRC the best version of the Joseph Smith story was re enacted on South Park

Joseph Smith was called a prophet
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
He started the Mormon religion
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Ever read or see the movie The Way of the Peaceful Warrior? Well I saw the movie and read the second book, and I would recommend them to anyone. Anyways in the second book the main character (a real person by the way) is studying under a hawai'ian shaman woman. She tells him that she met his first teacher in a school in japan that trains "peaceful warriors," and that there is also a book somewhere "in the desert" (sorry I dont remember but I would imagine in the 'middle-east' somewhere) that holds the meaning of life. Now if you read this guys true story of spiritual awakening, you would not think that he or his teacher would make up a story of a book or ever believe in it if it did not actually exist.

Dont know if this is related, but it reminded me of this story. So, good luck on finding the book. Maybe your dad is one of the peaceful warriors?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViolatoR
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior? Well I saw the movie and read the second book,

Wow. I LOVE the first book... it is one of my all time favorite books. I did'nt KNOW there was a movie or a second book
Thats a nice trip to the liberary for me tomarow, Thank you ViolatoR
Nice addition to this thread

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by canneverdecide
my dad once told me a story about a book. it is called the "Whole Earth Book" this book i was told holds all the earths history between its covers. my dad told me that this book makes its way around to the people that need to see it and then it just disappears.

Okay I bite.. who or what was your father that he should be so priviledged to have the secrets of earth in his hands? Secondly, what would your father do with such knowledge if he had it?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
i've heard this urban-legend as well

when i heard it, the book was described as an old, crusty, leather-bound text

and that the book has hundreds of empty pages just waiting to be written in

new topics

top topics

join