It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mona Lisa was a mother

page: 1

join
share:
Ox

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
In an amazing discovery, a team of Canadian scientists have not only determined the identity of the woman portrayed by the Mona Lisa, they have also determined that she was a new mother and had recently given birth to her second son. The portrait is a commemoration of this event.

au.news.yahoo.com
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Mona Lisa, the mysterious woman immortalized in Leonardo da Vinci's 16th century masterpiece, had just given birth to her second son when she sat for the painting, a French art expert said on Tuesday.

"We can now say that this painting by Leonardo da Vinci was painted to commemorate the birth of the second son of the Mona Lisa, which helps us to date it more precisely to around 1503."

The young woman with the ambiguous half smile has been identified as Lisa Gherardini, wife of Florentine merchant Francesco de Giocondo. She had five children.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The story also mentions a gauze dress that was worn by Italian women who were pregnant or had just given birth, This had not been seen before due to the darkness of the painting but was revealed by 3D Infra red technology.

This is an absolutely amazing find, for centuries experts have theorised to the indentity of the Mona Lisa and now this. This is truly an amazing example of technology and determination. Perhaps this type of technology could be used for other forms of art depiction.

[edit on 28-9-2006 by Ox]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Not only is the pregnant aspect of the Mona Lisa fascinating, I found in a similiar article covering this story that the scientists still couldn't figure out the techique used, no brushstrokes....

could be another early photograph type image like the shroud of turin which some give da vinci credit for creating.

Ox

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
WorldWatcher.. youre right.. it's amazing..

I'm curious to know if this type of technology could be used in other aspects of scientific research, for example, using it on the pyramids.. collecting data by creating 3D images of tombs not yet opened.. etc..

Just a thought..

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
If you look at the way she is posed in the painting...with hands held almost protectively across her belly, coupled with the wry, enigmatic smile...almost seems like she knows something secret...perhaps that Francesco de Giocondo wasn't the real father of her 2nd son??
Nontheless, that we now have a historic and personal context to one of DaVinci's most iconic works is truely amazing!

Ox

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I wouldnt go that far..
Women in that time were very loyal.. The only ones who werent, were the prostitutes..
I am interested in why Da Vinci painted her with her hair down, as historic events say her hair was in a bun, only girls and women of poor virtue wore their hair down, and I highly doubt her virtue was poor

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I am interested in why Da Vinci painted her with her hair down, as historic events say her hair was in a bun, only girls and women of poor virtue wore their hair down, and I highly doubt her virtue was poor

Maybe Da Vinci was the father and it was a secret because she was in fact a woman of lower class?

Ox

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Possible.. but if that were the case there would have been possibly some historic account of her being of lower virtue.. I dont know really.. Again, it's possible..but.. you have to remember this is artists interpretation.. The artist probably never meant for this painting to be a masterpiece and/or never meant it to be an exact interpretation of the woman, he merely used her for the portrait.. Or.. he felt like she would be better portrayed with her hair down... Either that or his personal thoughts were that she was a hooker!.. Easy enough

join