It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Socket 939 mobo(S) wont power up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
So I finally decided to upgrade my old pc.I currently am running a socket 7 (amd xp 2500+) and I wanted to move up to a different mobo/cpu/vid card.

I got a pretty decent deal on a gigabyte mobo with a amd 64 3700+ SD core.

I installed mobo #1 and it wouldnt power up..wtf..I called gigabyte and their tech after asking me a few questions said that the mobo was DOA.I rma'ed the mobo,got a replacement yesterday,same problem.So I went out and bought me a diff brand mobo (still socket 939) and same problem AGAIN.It wont power up. So thats 3
socket 939's that wont work,all having the same exact problem.

I took my psu down to the local shop here,they tested it and said that he couldnt find any errors with it,eventhough he couldnt tell me how many watts it was producing (its rated at 450).(And before you ask yes I plugged the extra 4 pin plug into the board)

I put my old pc back together and bam..no problems what so ever.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow this psu wont or cant give the socket 939 mobo enough juice to powerup.Yet it has enough to run the old socket 7 mobo.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
A couple of things to check... board shorts... is the stand-off pattern the same as your old mobo? If not there may be an old stand-off beneath the board shorting stuff.

I have also seen the over-torquing of stand-off screws actually do something similar too... some boards do not "like" some power supplies regardless of wattage. Perhaps borrow a PS from a bud of a different manufacture.

If no joy... strip out the mobo and PS and vid and run it on an insulated pad on a workbench and uses a jumper (anything) conductive across the power switch pins to light 'er up... oh yeah, we had one new machine about 3 weeks ago that would not light-up at all... turned out to be the floppy has a short and the PS (an Enermax Liberty 500) was "smart" enough to prevent the machine from starting.

I have also heard that some newer PS's (likely not yours) that simply will not fire up in homes wired with AFI (Arc Fault Interrupt) as opposed to the older standard GFI (Ground Fault Interrupt).

Hope you get 'er figured out... best luck to you!

Victor K.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply..it evedently was my psu/case combo..a friend gave me another case w/psu and it fired right up..

Still not sure exactly what the problem is but it is somewhere between the two.

Mods close this thread please thanks!

new topics

join