It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California sues car manufacturers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Claiming damages for global warming, apparently.

As a non-American, can someone explain to me whether or not this 'suit' is under the political direction of the state government, or is it just some D.A. getting enthusiastic off his own back? I just remember Schwarzenegger driving a big Humvee!

Is this significant, or do Californians just sue a lot?

guardian story

TD

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaupeDragon

Is this significant, or do Californians just sue a lot?

TD

The state and national elections are coming up in November. That is the only reason.

Election year posturing.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Fine! If California wins this suit, No more new cars shipped to and sold in California! Then let's see how far California goes with this.

That is what should have happened in the stupid Tobacco Suit years ago, the Tobacco companies should have refused to sell in the states involved.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
That's what I don't get. This is the *government* of California suing car manufacturers?

If they win, it means *what?* - no new cars sold? An 'enviromental' tax on new cars?

Wouldn't it just be simpler to tax Humvees to the hilt, or even increase gas tax to encourage fuel efficient cars? Or would that be electoral suicide, and this makes for a pain-free way for the politicians to 'do something' - even if it doesn't achieve anything.

Surely legislation would be faster and more effective than litigation if it was the government doing this thing.

I still don't get it.

TD

edit - Here's another link:

Arnie

[edit on 21-9-2006 by TaupeDragon]

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Yes, this really doesn't make any sense. This will get shot down right away. Auto manufacturers didn't shove cars down their throats or hold them at gun point and make them drive them. It would be interesting to see how many SUV's are driven in California.

And yes, Californian's do like to sue a lot.

join