It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would u be scared?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
How many of you would be scared if you found out that the person sitting next to u on a plane is a muslim. What would your reaction be. Seems like a study shows that 1 out 4 americans have a steretypical view of muslims as terrorists.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I’d be more afraid to be sitting next to a Jehovah’s Witness.
~Plug in ear phones... do not make eye contact.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
How would you tell a Muslim from a Jew. Are you talking about the people that dress in a particular manner and have brown skin?

Something else that study you cited reveals, is that l in 4 Americans are morons and are more than ready to suckup any and all propaganda espoused by anybody in authority.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Not at all, I've sat, ate and slept near Muslim faith people, and they are just like you and I, exept they are nicer than media has lead viewers to beleive.

We spoke about many things, from religion to politics and even differences and US sunjects. All this happened in D.C, and I am grateful. It was the Muslim brother I asked on the street just down the road from Du Pont Circle, near the Holiday inn, that we met. He was dressed in "traditional"garb and the only one, that is how I noticed him. Conversation of other Muslims who didn't dress as he, because they were self concious of what the non Muslims might think, he didn't.

I was in Washington only a short time, but no hotels or anything had vacancy, so I asked him for help, and it surprised him. for obvious reasons. We walked back to the park and spoke, he was very unsure of me at first, what would you do if a stranger called you brother and asked questions. I am white, he is black.

He took me into his apartment in the Virginia area, and shared half of his only meal with me. A bit of chicken and a potatoe.

Having spoken for hours and exchanging much of our personal opinons, he said to me that I as I am was more Muslim, to him than his fellow Muslims have been. Now I am familar with the Koran and understand the faith Isreal and Abraham well enough to impress him, and he was not young. He must have been late 40s maybe 50, going by that he has a daughter my age.

Don't go by what the media has preconvieved, it is distorted and some one elses idea of a situation, person or thing. Make that choice for your self, it is yours to do so with.

On my flight back to Michigan, I was sitting next to a lady and relayed the above to her. She was taken back and had a change of heart, she would never have thought that would be possable today. She wanted me to let him know that too, as he and have contact info. I let him know later, and he just laughed.

You see she was surprised, because I had my suit inside my ACUs as a travel protector bag (since I have none), and that was what he saw when I approached him. A white male with ACUs over his shoulder, instead of on like every other military person in DC.

That is my unique first hand account, and for sake of typing an auto bio have left many details out. That sums it up very well though I hope, and have no issue answering questions.

Hope this helped, and was what you wanted.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I wouldn't be scared at all. Depending on the person's age, gender and how they act, I would probably be a little more cautious and keep an eye out for any suspicious activity.

But that wouldn't last long cause I usually rack out right after take-off

I do that with all people though, it's not limited to people from the middle east. Yeah, I guess you could say it's sterotyping....a little. But it's not discrimination, just cause I'm a little more cautious of someone doesn't mean I treat them any different than I would anyone else.

Sporty

[edit on 13/9/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by half_minded
How many of you would be scared if you found out that the person sitting next to u on a plane is a muslim. What would your reaction be. Seems like a study shows that 1 out 4 americans have a steretypical view of muslims as terrorists.

1 in 4. So I guess all the hard work from the US admin has paid off huh?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Its good to know that most people still have some common sense in them and that they dont just assume that someone is a terrorist based on his race or religion. iy still saddens me though that there are people out there who have a stereotypical view of a muslim as a terrorist.

So a few groups of people who call themselves muslims blow up buildings in the name of Allah and suddenly the entire muslim population becomes suspects. Its just so stupid. killing of innocent people is NOT ALLOWED in islam so if these people did it then they are not muslims. They might have muslim names but they are NOT muslims. If a muslim person is praying in a plane....im sure lot of people wud give him stares and look at him suspiciously.

Western media and news these days is filled with steretypical view of muslims and islam and is subliminally promoting hatred against them. To an american it might be just a bunch of theories and conspiracies but look at it from the views of people of afghanistan or iraq or lebanon, etc. their homes were destroyed. their streets ruined. are they not people?

a few thousand people died in america on 9/11 and it became a world news which is still remembered and mourned (not that its wrong...innocent died who shudnt have) but what about people in lebanon for example. their homes were destroyed. thousands killed. no one mourns the day they were attacked. they have to start their lives all over again. wat abt the rights of ppl from afghanistan and iraq. wat gave US right to go and bomb them?

the world is a sad place and im sad to be a part of it. i wish i was a martian or something. Einstein was right....the universe is so big that it can be considered infinite but human stupidity surpasses it.

top topics

join