It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nonaligned Nations Seek Broader Definition of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
STORY

HAVANA -
Iran,
Syria,
North Korea and more than 100 other nations are pushing to broaden the world's definition of "terrorism" to include the U.S. occupation of
Iraq and the Israeli invasion of Lebanon.
ADVERTISEMENT

Converging on
Fidel Castro's communist Cuba for a summit this week, members of the Nonaligned Movement complain of a double standard: powerful nations like the United States and
Israel decide for the world who the terrorists are, but face no punishment for their own acts of aggression.

A draft of the group's joint declaration condemns "terrorism in all its forms," especially violence that targets civilians.

I agree that terrorism is a deliberate act that targets civilians, but what constitutes a deliberate act?

I'll be hated for it, but I don't see airstrikes targeting terrorist strongholds and incidently killing nearby civilians as "terrorist acts". However hijacking an airliner and flying into a building certainly is. The same for a "militant" who straps a bomb to his torso and blows himself up in a cafe. I still don't see the US invasion of Iraq as a "terrorist" act nor the Israeli bombing of Lebanon. It's unfortunate that so many innocent Lebanese were killed, but it could not be avoided with Hezbollah working its way into the infrustructure as it has. If anything, I'd blame other western nations for not giving the government enough support, enabling them to hold control over southern Lebanon and dispose of Hezbollah.

The non-aligned nations are a joke anyway. Iran, Syria, North Korea, and Cuba? Please.

join