It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Organizations... just schizophrenia?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I draw this idea from several sources of inspiration.

In the movie 12 Monkeys there was a man at a mental institution that believed he was on another planet surrounded by aliens and he was fighting them.

In the movie Beautiful Mind (based on a book by the same name), a brilliant mathematician began to believe that a government organization was using him to find codes being relayed to soviet agents through newspapers and magazines. He lived with this hallucination his whole life and every week delivered his cracked codes to a mailbox outside an abandoned building. He did this his whole life and finally his wife went to the mailbox and found it stuffed full of letters - there was no organization no soviet agents, no codes.

Finally, I watched a Stargate re-run tonight and there was a man in it that thought there was a military resistance forming on his home planet. He delivered supplies to them as well as technological secrets. He even got other people interested in his cause because others believed he was telling the truth.
Until he hit his head and was taken to a hospital - where they discovered he had a very advanced form of schizophrenia, and the military resistance was false.

If schizophrenia can really do that - then what's to say that many supposed contacts with alien governments aren't really just massive hallucinations? This would also explain why very few stories line up. i.e: very few alien abductees believe the aliens are here for the same purpose.
Some think the aliens are here for sinister purposes, some think they are here to enlighten us. Some think the aliens are working with the government, some think they aren't.

Wikipedia Article on Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia can affect not only your senses, but also the way you think. It can affect your beliefs, emotions, behaviors, everything.
An abduction could be you having a schizophrenic 'trip'.
Many will say "my family has no history of schizophrenia, neither do I." Schizophrenia isn't just genetic, it can come from substance abuse, stressful environments, or heck even a good smack to the head.
Many psycho-active drugs can bring out latent schizophrenia. That mushroom you ate during your college years with your buddies could be telling the aliens where you're at

Any further thoughts on this? Agreements? Disagreements?

Beautiful Mind Movie Adaptation

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I'll counter that claim, and up the ante with:
Schizophrenia=The Great Cop Out

"If you don't want to deal with it, don't." type of thing.

If you talk with those that truely suffer from a mental illness, there is a lot of interpretation that can be led (skewed) through by the interviewer. Almost all recognize it as irrational when they later achieve a "balance".
On the hand of alien interaction, though, most maintain a somewhat sterile approach, and are very objective (countering the it only happens to me). I'll also add there is a common thread of whether or not "aliens" have helpful/harmful intent. Whereas, if it were a delusional state the mind would try and rid itself of the thoughts it found discomforting.

new topics

join