It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Black-Holes Stifle Star Formation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Supermassive black holes play a stealthy role in two major types of galaxies in the universe, bulking up until they are big enough to effectively shut down the formation of new stars, scientists have found.

The new results explain why scientists have observed in the past that massive galaxies have fewer young stars. Black holes, monstrous heaps of dense matter, grow at a different rate than the galaxies that surround them. But once a black holes reach a critical mass and become too large for its host galaxy, it zaps away nearly all the gas needed for young stars to form.

"Supermassive black holes in these giant galaxies create unfriendly places for stars to form," said Sukyoung K. Yi of Yonsei University in Seoul, who led the research team. "If you want to find lots of young stars, look to the smaller galaxies."

SOURCE:
Space.com

Very interesting finding in my opinion.
I wonder how long our galaxy has before this happens.
That leads me to another thought, if we ever find a way to
collapse quantum singularities so that they no longer exist,
than we should do it.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
not bad, so basically the black hole keeps growing in a galaxy, then it gets too big no stars form in the galaxy, then the balck hole keeps growing until it swallows up the whole galaxy and all you'll see then is darkness and blackness, dat close?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by INc2006
not bad, so basically the black hole keeps growing in a galaxy, then it gets too big no stars form in the galaxy, then the balck hole keeps growing until it swallows up the whole galaxy and all you'll see then is darkness and blackness, dat close?

I think thats what hes saying, but wow, thats scary, huge galaxy sized black holes, wow, I would hate to fly into one of those.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
It's not actually a galaxy sized blackhole.

What it is is the singularitie produces so much radiation and such
that it blasts the gas away, which is more like it disipating the
galaxy around it.

new topics

top topics

join