It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True 3D Plasma Display

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I would think this technology would be more suited to advertisement and displays.

True 3D Plasma Display

www.technovelgy.com...

Figure 1 A 3D-object displayed using a 3D-image spatial drawing device we have developed.

A true 3D display was demonstrated earlier this month in Japan by the Japanese National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) in collaboration with Burton Inc

History of Research Work
Keio University and Burton Inc. noticed a phenomenon that, when laser beams are strongly focused, air plasma emission can be induced only near the focal point. Thereby, they succeeded in the experimental fabrication of a device displaying 2D-images in the air, which are constructed from dot arrays produced using a technique combining a laser light source and galvanometric mirrors. To further form 3D-images in the air, the scanning of the focal point in the depth direction along the laser optical axis is essential. However, for such a purpose, the quality of the laser and the technique for varying the position of the focal point must be improved, and thus as yet there are no 3D display devices.

www.aist.go.jp...

I have heard a few times that the government is about 50 years ahead of the private sector.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
This has been posted a couple times before and I'm not that impressed. The Heliodisplay, though not 3d, is way more sophisticated in the amounts of Colors it can display at high framerates and frequencies.

www.technovelgy.com...

I have heard a few times that the government is about 50 years ahead of the private sector.

Why would they hold back on display technologies? I know that the Private sector will hold back until they get a return on their investment on LCD's and Plasma displays, but that is par for the course in IT. The Private Sector does most of the work for the government anyways so how do you draw the line between Government Tech and Private Tech? They are so intermixed nowadays that it is impossible to tell.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Yea I like the Heliodisplay. I agree government and the private sector seem to blend, as to my comment about the government being ahead by 50 years, could they project say a tank or something larger and realistic looking.
Or even fighter aircraft.
Just speculation really.

Anyway any Mods feel like pulling the plug.

[edit on 4/9/2006 by Sauron]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Have you ever heard of that Plasma display that project psudo-3d images to people viewing the screen from certain angles without the requirement of Shutter-Glasses? I'm trying to find the article now, but am having difficulty. That is the display that I want hehe. I've heard that they can even do full screen "split" screen for video games. What that means that two different people looking at the screen from different angles will see completely different images(sort of like those crude holo-thingings that changes as you view it from different angles), they even put in directed Audio to make sure that each person sees and hears what they want to see and hear without disturbing the person next to him. Catching Screen lookers is way easier to as they have to phyiscally move their body to see your screen.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by sardion2000]

apc

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I stated in one of the previous threads on this tech an excellent use for this.

Force fields. These things create plasma balls in mid air. Very very very hot plasma balls. Make a tight grid of them and no organic material could pass through without being destroyed.

Although I'm sure someone could come up with a suit of some kind to defeat it. But I dont know of one yet.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
How hot does the plasma get? I can think of quite a few materials that could withstand quite high temps.

apc

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
uhm I dunno... what temperature does gasious air become a plasma state? I think that's what this is doing... using laser interference to superheat a single point in space to the point that the gas becomes plasma.

The best analogy to a force field implimentation I can think of is in the movie 'I Robot' ... the field that only the main character robot can get through because of his special alloy construction.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Have you ever heard of that Plasma display that project psudo-3d images to people viewing the screen from certain angles without the requirement of Shutter-Glasses?

There are a number of companies that manufacture these types of 3D LCD displays, one of the companies is Dimension Technologies Inc. they manufacture a 3D display called the Virtual Window 19.

Geez, I can only imagine what playing UT2007 would be like on one of these. And imagining it is about all I'll ever do, because with a price tag of $3,695.00 US, it's just a bit beyond my budget.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
4 grand? (cnd) That's much more reasonable then I thought. Perhaps in 5 years it will be affordable.

top topics

join