It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U-2 Operations during Vietnam War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Possibly called 'SCOPE SAINT,' there were a series of U-2 missions over Cambodia and other surrounding countries of which the last two flights were completed on 27th March and 3rd April 1968.

Also with reference to 1968, one line goes 'as evidenced by its success in downing five U-2s'. I can only presume that this line is talking about SA-2's.

I know this is all a bit vague, but I am wondering if anyone recalls anything they may have read or seen, as I have looked around the net but have not not been able to unearth any information.

Thanks for all help in advance, wtr

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Possibly called 'SCOPE SAINT,' there were a series of U-2 missions over Cambodia and other surrounding countries of which the last two flights were completed on 27th March and 3rd April 1968.

Also with reference to 1968, one line goes 'as evidenced by its success in downing five U-2s'. I can only presume that this line is talking about SA-2's.

I know this is all a bit vague, but I am wondering if anyone recalls anything they may have read or seen, as I have looked around the net but have not not been able to unearth any information.

Thanks for all help in advance, wtr

As far as I'm aware "SCOPE SAINTS" were practice quick deployments.

U-2's deployed to Vietnam under LUCKY DRAGON this later changed to TROJAN HORSE and then GIANT DRAGON.

Alos involved in the overflights of Vietnam / Cambodia and China was the C.I.A Det H.

I think the losses you are refering to are the ROC 35th SQ U-2 which were lost over China.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Ahh, that's why I said possibly. Only the time frame fit that codeword, nothing else.

And yes, thanks for the confirmation that it was China, as well as other program names. I tell you, that black stuff they use to mark out words can be VERY annoying!

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
There were several flown by ROC pilots that were lost due to weather, possibly shot down, and other causes. I had a website that had a comprehensive list of all the U-2 losses on it. I'll find it when I get home later and give you the link.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Link for U-2 Locations etc.

U-2 LOCATIONS - LOSSES

Another good source of U-2 Operations info is Chris Pococks book "50 YEARS OF THE U-2".

I'm trying to get a more more info of the 4080th SRW Operations on to my web site.

top topics

join