It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Admissions Court Case May be used to Promote Racial Profiling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In a major court case regarding college admissions (Grutter v. Bollinger), the U.S. Supreme court stated that race may be used as a factor if other factors are used in reaching a decision and doing so serves a compelling government interest.

This point was argued by Dov Hikind (NY State Assembly) in support of a law (Bill A11536) allowing racial profiling, stating that preventing terrorist attacks:

...is an even more compelling governmental interest" than education, making it therefore acceptable to factor race and ethnicity into what he calls "terrorist profiling.

Source

Could this lead to the U.S. Government saying it is OK to use race as a factor in Terrorist Profiling, perhaps even making race the pivotal factor when determining whether someone should be ‘pulled’ for additional screening. I have to admit this worries me. Once it starts, it may be difficult, if not impossible, to stop.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Could very well be. When you have Neo-Cons supporting a type of affirmitive action, something is up. Perhaps giving up some ground for affirmitive action will open the doors for reverse uses of it, i.e. profiling.

Im quite against any sort of affirmative action or race-based selection process, whether it be favorable or unfavorable.

join