It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Spam Invasion On ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Interesting Gem,browser jacker?

Can someone vouch for a program thats safe to use,maybe one of these?

www.google.com.au...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Here's a thread that indicates there is something in the wild, so to speak:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think it's just a ploy. Or else it's simply amazing despite the normal crashing, the hackers are forcing the ads to run as normal; with absolutely no modification, BTW.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
Interesting Gem,browser jacker?

LoL... Don't think that's a technical term. I finally resorted to HiJack This! (Download Source) and found a handful of possible baddies and removed them - so far so good...
(Just a note: When you use HiJack This! make 100% sure you know what it is you're deleting. If you're unsure, rather make a backup first or quarantine the file with an Anti-Virus Program...)

Edit: An goes before a

[edit on 28-8-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I happened to be looking at BitDefender's web site and saw this:

www.bitdefender.com...

Seems that this is most likely the problem some of us are having, since it started Aug. 16 . This would be in conjunction with some type of adware I'm guessing.

Still seems a little too convenient for me.

[edit on 8/28/2006 by bothered]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I don't think that is the source of our problems, the cookies set by the pages that appeared didn't had that name.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It may not be everyone's problem, but on my system I remember getting a malicious java script alert. Then I started having problems.

According to this site:
www.bitdefender.com...

it's pretty wide spread right now. Unfortunately, I don't have bitDefender. Hopefully, McAfee will address this.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
You can go to this site to scan your computer.

You can also use other companie's scanners, but maybe this virus only is a virus for Bit Defender...

In any case, here they are:

Trend Micro HouseCall
Panda Software ActiveScan
Symantec Security Scanner
Kaspersky File Scanner
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
F-Secure Online Scanner
McAfee freescan
avast! OnLine scanner

Good hunting.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The Pop-ups keep on poping-up (but they are blocked) in a fresh instalation of Windows Vista Pre-RC1, using Opera 9.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
The Pop-ups keep on poping-up (but they are blocked) in a fresh instalation of Windows Vista Pre-RC1, using Opera 9.

What is the min. system requirements for Vista. I know from Microsoft's website, but what are you running?
Does it seem pretty stable, fast, etc.

I don't want to try anything new right now until a stable product is availabe.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bothered
What is the min. system requirements for Vista. I know from Microsoft's website, but what are you running?
My computer is an Athlon 1900+ with 512MB and an old GeForce2 MX 400.

Does it seem pretty stable, fast, etc.
Yes, its faster than the Beta 2 and I do not notice any difference in performance between Windows Vista Pre-RC1 and Windows XP.

I don't want to try anything new right now until a stable product is availabe.
If you want to try it you are too late, the 100,000 downloads of Pre-RC1 ended yesterday.

More informations in this thread.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I'm getting the same problem as the original poster in the thread. Very annoying but there's nothing I can do as it's not my computer.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Im getting the SYSTEMDOCTOR scam popups still on my computer and ONLY at ATS! They don't happen all the time, so this makes me think its a random ad. I have run 5 free virus scanners and 4 free spyware scanners, hijake this and full versions of nortons and trend virus and spyware scanners. NONE of these picked up anything! If its on my computer its VERY VERY stealthy and I have not heard of such of a virus being so sneaky before. I have to assume this is something on ATS, where doesn't it show on anyother sites? I work in IT and visits LOTS of sites each day, ATS being one, and it only happens here.

Next time it happens, ill try and get an URL or something.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
thought i had it beat but im still getting systemdoctor and only on ATS. Only pops up after ive surfed a couple of pages but its starting to really pee me off.

Anywhere else and i wouldnt put up with it.

EDIT TO ADD : [B]BINGO[/B] just happened again as i posted!!!!!!

[edit on 1/9/06 by mojo4sale]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Seems to me, as I stated somewhere earlier, an ad-server convenienently became infected. After receiving a JS error, I have been receiving well-placed as well as well-timed ads.
I'm not going to do a re-install (which I do approx. once per 2 months) until there is some evidence of this being corrected.

It seems XP is on the backburner now, with the impending release of Vista. I doubt there will be much in the way of effective security updates. (I'm not trying to start anything by stating this, only noting past behaviours).

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Did someone say

Systemdoctor?

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I appreciate the effort, I run tools. I'm aware of standard protection.
I do not want to get into another patchit 'til they break it again war. It's too frustrating.
The ads are tolerable, right now.

Besides, the way my settings shift and exploits keep popping up on sites where they shouldn't indicates to me that someone at my ISP is having a little fun. (With all the stench from the mile high BS, it's really rather obvious).

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Not to even begin to mention CNET, whom I believe is running behind a crowd of hackers with new tools (from guess where).
Every damn time I re-route my re-route to http, CNET pops up established. And I don't even have a browser open at the time!

These ad companies haven't resorted to these tactics for some time. I feel the need for another open-ended server with random port adaptation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join