It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dick & Rick Hoyt: Greatest Story Ever! Take A Moment and Pay Tribute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Please Take a Moment to Read through this and View the Links! I Promise you will not Regret it!

I subscribe to Sports Illustrated on a weekly basis and a few months ago I read the Life of Reilly, he spoke of a father and son named Dick & Rick Hoyt. In the article it talked of the son being handicapped, unable to speak, walk etc. At birth it was mentioned to let him pass on but the father would not allow it. He fought through and struggled on a daily basis. Not sure how it began but they wanted to start doing things together so they trained to run Marathons, Triatholons, etc.

What they do is they run these together, bike together and so on in real marathons where the other competitors are running on their own. It was an amazing story I read in the article. I'll post some links and allow our members to learn the story for themselves.

You will not regret it.

Team Hoyt

Dick & Rick Hoyt Marathon Tribute - Great Video!

You can find the SI article on the link below as well as a speach from the United States House of Representatives:

Strongest Dad in the World

Here are a few quotes from the page.

Mr. Speaker, I rise tonight to pay tribute to a man who is not from my districts or even from my State, but who certainly must be one of the most wonderful men of whom I have ever read. The story of Dick Hoyt of Holland, Massachusetts is one of the most amazing, inspiring stories I have ever read.

The Hoyts were told Rick would be a vegetable for the rest of his life and that they should put him in an institution. They refused.
When Rick was 11, they took him to engineers at Tufts University to ask them if there was some way to allow him to communicate. They were told, no way, nothing was going on in Rick's brain. "Tell him a joke," Mr. Hoyt said. "They did. Rick laughed." They had noticed the way Rick's eyes followed them around the room. There was a lot going on in Rick's brain.

From Reilly's Article...

I try to be a good father. Give my kids mulligans. Work nights to pay for their text messaging. Take them to swimsuit shoots.
But compared with Dick Hoyt, I suck.

Eighty-five times he's pushed his disabled son, Rick, 26.2 miles in marathons. Eight times he's not only pushed him 26.2 miles in a wheelchair but also towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming and pedaled him 112 miles in a seat on the handlebars--all in the same day. Dick's also pulled him cross-country skiing, taken him on his back mountain climbing and once hauled him across the U.S. on a bike. Makes taking your son bowling look a little lame, right?

Now do yourself a favor and go read this article, it still amazes me and I have read his story countless times.

Strongest Dad in the World

mod edit:
Quote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

[edit on 27-8-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
That is a totally awesome story. Thanks so much for sharing that with us all.

Im not regarded as being an emotional person but that brought a tear to my eye, such courage, determination and love is to be admired amongst the greatest traits a human can have.

I shall endevour to do more with my life out of respect for those that do and acheive so much even when the odds are stacked horrifically against their success.

Thanks again for sharing chissler,

peace.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Optimus my hats off to you for giving this thread some life. It went unnoticed for a few days and I was alittle dissapointed as this is a story alot of people should take a moment to learn.

So, I thank you.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
pleasure dude, its an awesome story, everybody should read it.

SO COME ON AND READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I just recently came across the video that I posted, which gave me the idea to do alittle searching to find some information. Then I thought I would share the story with ATS.

Physically, this is an amazing accomplishment let alone the sentimental effect of it.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Simply... an amazing story. Very good... definitely brought a smile and happy feeling to my day which was actually a bad one.

I'm definitely gonna link this to people.

Thanks, Optimus

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike

I'm definitely gonna link this to people.

-prophetmike

Thank you!

It is a story that I would like have people read. Amazing what this man has done for his son.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Thank you!

It is a story that I would like have people read. Amazing what this man has done for his son.

Thank YOU for posting this.. my thanks to Optimus was for making this thread known... I didn't catch it until today. It is indeed amazing and just great to see the strength and willpower of some people. I hope I can be at least 1/4th of a good father as he is when I have kids.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
kind of makes your whinging about everyday rubbish seem so unimportant doesnt it?

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
kind of makes your whinging about everyday rubbish seem so unimportant doesnt it?

Well said.

Does put everything else in check. What I find amazing is how such a negative situation has developed an unbreakable optimism in these guys.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Chissler
Thank You, I am ashamed. We take our lives for granted and viewing such heroism puts my own pitiful life in perspective.
WIS

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I don't think you should feel your own life is pitiful, only appreciate the gravy alittle more!

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
hey chissler!

looks like BREAK are covering your story with a video!

www.break.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
hey chissler!

looks like BREAK are covering your story with a video!

www.break.com...

Really?

I will have to take a look at this. Thank you for the link Fett.

new topics

top topics

join