It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excuse/catalyst for militarization of police?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   
This thread www.abovetopsecret.com... got me thinking of what has happened when I have questioned the militarization of police, directly to the faces of some of the people involved.

I wish I could come up with a better synonym, but the term "militarization of police" is the best way to put it. So bear with me if it gets repetitive.

Yes, I have attempted to have a rational discussion about this topic on several occasions to different people who are directly involved in promoting their departments' militarization. And the excuse is always the same..."the North Hollywood Bank Robbery Shootout showed departments just how vulnerable they are."

After which furthur questions usually result in stammering and lots of "uhhs" and "ahhs."

For those of you not famililar, this site is excellent:

www.student.oulu.fi...

I am putting forth for discussion my ideas as follow:

It is my opinion (I tried to make that italicized but it didn't work) that the US government staged the 9/11 attacks as an excuse/catalyst for the "war on terror" and the taking of citizens' rights.

I am now beginning to wonder if some governmental element is responsible for staging the North Hollywood Bank Robbery as an excuse/catalyst toward the militarization of police. Especially seeing how it's the same reasoning I have been told by several different SWAT officers.

[edit on 22-8-2006 by therainmaker]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Rain maker.

Here in the UK, the police are moving away from the traditional uniforms to 'trousers tucked in boots' style like the military.

the are moving away from blue to black uniforms, with a harsher cut to them, and are alot more aggressive when approached. They walk along, and here in oxford they look troubled as if your a piece of crap if you even dare ask directions or a question... This was apparent at a 20 person demonstration in oxford last month. 200 police were on duty, Including some officers from other forces.

This use of 'riot gear' to police a small protest is unacceptable in my opinion, as it gives off a message that force is not far away from being used and you should be scared of the police, not see them as law and order but your oppressers.

Match this with the camera police, getting right in the faces of a peaceful protest to take pictures and footage of protesters as they walked along, it was very very oppressive indeed ( And i was not even on the march and felt the police were itching for violence)

Maybe thats it - there shifting from policing by consent to policing by any force necessary without any consent asked for.

join