It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy refuses to send troops if Israel keeps shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
The Italians are refusing to send troops as long as Israel keeps shooting while there is a cease-fire in place. I guess its perfectly understandable that since Israel has already proven it is more then willing to kill UN troops that they do not want to place the lives of their men in jeopardy.

Source
Italy won't send troops to Lebanon force if Israel 'keeps shooting'

By Shlomo Shamir, Haaretz Correspondent, and Agencies

Italy, which has offered to lead a United Nations peacekeeping force in Lebanon, will be unable to send troops if Israel "keeps shooting", Italian Foreign Minister Massimo D'Alema said Tuesday.

"From Israel, we expect a renewed effort, this time truly binding, to respect the ceasefire," D'Alema said. "It's fair to expect that Hezbollah put down their weapons, but we cannot send our troops to Lebanon if the [Israeli] army keeps shooting."

Italy has said it would be prepared to send 3,000 soldiers - the largest contingent to date - but has not committed to specific numbers, raising calls in some quarters for the Italians to take charge.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Which is very good news indeed! Hopefully they'll decide not to send any troops to the region. Which lunatic would send his troops to maintain peace between parties that obviously don't really want peace.

What if Israel accidentally hits an Italian convoy in Southern Lebanon, how would the Italian government respond, and rather important, how would that be sold to the Italian public?

There should be a real peace agreement prior to actually sending any troops from any country. In my opinion that will only become a possiblity after Iran and the US have finished their conflict, which shouldn't be expected to early.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
dont see why they should risk the lives of their soliders if israel keeps fireing carelessly into areas of lebonen

all UN troops should have the right to defend them selves against both hazbullah and israel

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Which is very good news indeed! Hopefully they'll decide not to send any troops to the region. Which lunatic would send his troops to maintain peace between parties that obviously don't really want peace.

The only thing bad with that is they refuse to lift the Air, Land and Sea embargo until other forces are in place. They are not allowing in direct flights or cargo without forcing them to land elsewhere first. Making a lot of delays.

Pie

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

The only thing bad with that is they refuse to lift the Air, Land and Sea embargo until other forces are in place. They are not allowing in direct flights or cargo without forcing them to land elsewhere first. Making a lot of delays.

If Israel refuses to lift the embargos on flights ir ship born aid to Lebanon, then the UN should threaten them with sanctions. Not that I think it will bother them, The US or either the UK will again block it. Like the USA and the UK they ignore International Law and do what they like.

If I was the Italian PM. I would warn anyone if they are fired upon while trying to get aid to Lebanon, they will retaliate against eitherside.

That should up the anti

top topics

join