It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe wants ground rules for U.N. force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Europe is uniquely positioned to take the lead to help end the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah militants. But so far, no European countries have stepped up with a large contribution of troops.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

external link

[edit on 8/21/2006 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Europe is uniquely positioned to take the lead to help end the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah militants. But so far, no European countries have stepped up with a large contribution of troops.

I do not blame them either. If Iwas Head of a Gov, I would have expected there would be rules of engagement incase either side involved in this conflict fires at the UN Forces, weither it be Israel or Hezbullah.

On and btw Do not expect the UK to help they are way to overstretched right now anyways. And do not think the lebanease would wany any British Troops on their land anyways.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Israel is now trying to dictate who will make up the UN peacekeeper force, which is interesting. For one thing they have objected to the idea of a French led force, I suppose because they view the French as insufficiently in their pockets... they have called for the Italians to lead the force. They've also objected to Islamic countries like Malaysia and Bangladesh taking part, even though so far they're the only ones who have been proven willing to supply large numbers of troops.

I'm not particularly surprised that the Europeans have been less than eager to supply troops, given that Israel has not proven shy about targeting UNIFIL troops.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It has been reported on Sky news, Weither you believe them or not. The Italian Pm has said, "Italy are ready to take the leading role" in the UN Peace Keeping Force in the Middle East. When I find the link I shall post it.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Israel is now trying to dictate who will make up the UN peacekeeper force, which is interesting. For one thing they have objected to the idea of a French led force, I suppose because they view the French as insufficiently in their pockets... they have called for the Italians to lead the force. They've also objected to Islamic countries like Malaysia and Bangladesh taking part, even though so far they're the only ones who have been proven willing to supply large numbers of troops.

I'm not particularly surprised that the Europeans have been less than eager to supply troops, given that Israel has not proven shy about targeting UNIFIL troops.

your quite right!

Israel is dictating to the UN, or at least trying too, just whose troops are 'kosher' to police the 'cease-fire'.

Any States which do-not recognize Israel's right to exist are excluded from taking active participation in dis-arming Hezbollah, or making the cease-fire work.
--that is the Israeli stand- - - - (sorta like a jury selection process, eh?)

it remains to be seen if the UN will adopt that Israeli caveat...

new topics

top topics

join