It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to Outlaw Cell Phones

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Here's more fuel to the anti-cell phone fire :p Saw this on CNN right after re-reading this thread, figured I'd toss it in. Seems more people use their cell phones as watches now, affecting the watch market (4.9 decrease in sales in 2005).

And, frankly, that's about the main thing my cell phone gets used for. I just wish I could manually set the time on it to match the work timeclock, so I don't have to keep trying to remember if I'm 4 minutes late or 5 minutes late...

Originally posted by Mosher5150
if you dont like listening to acell phone conversation just dont listen.or walk away simple as that.some people get mad at the lamest things.i mean people get killed everday.theres more important things to think about than someone elses cellphone convo.

While your point is taken about there being more important things to worry about, I don't understand why I should have to wander out of a checkstand line because some idiot wants to yell into a phone about his girlfriend cheating on him with his uncle, or force myself to not listen as someone relegates disturbing tales about working at a restaurant I frequent.

It's should just be common courtesy, a simple respect for those who may not want to listen to your private/work life, that would keep people from doing that in the first place. Or at the very least, a modicum of self respect in not wanting everyone to know you're married to a guy who's sleeping with anything that casts a shadow. Why should the public have someone's private life forced on them, and everyone else has to adjust to suit the offender?

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Thats just silly, outlawing cell phones, imagine if someone was breaking into your house and cut the power, how would you call the police, also thats peoples choices if its a health risk, same as smoking and drinking, you might aswell outlaw them too if thats how you view cell phones, also cell phones are the only way of calling for roadside assitance. I dont truly understand how you can not like mobiles phones...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
The kid’s today- their whole life revolves around the cell phone. Take it away and they are lost. Also the way they take their phones out and inspect each other’s phone capabilities? That’s how kids evaluate each other today…. By who has the coolest phone

Yeah, my generation, especially the younger counterparts, really stinks.

Originally posted by krax
Thats just silly, outlawing cell phones, imagine if someone was breaking into your house and cut the power, how would you call the police...

That shouldn't be a problem, as the power for the phone lines is sent over the same lines. Now, if they cut the phone lines you may have a problem. Sorry, I couldn't resist an obnoxious comment there.

Grady, excellent posts within this thread.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Yes they are just tools, but tools that in my experiances, people misuse more often then they do correctly. I'll admit to the bias, but cheeze...I get so tired of being forced to listen in on one side of a very uninteresting conversation, or worse a soap opera moment...seriously people...I could not possibly care less whether or not George said that Billy was an ignorant bodypart, and that julie, bless her, agreed. Don't care, never will care...

Huh...If I didn't know better I'd swear this was my rant. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's ok. Get it off your chest.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Another thing. The one my wife got for me... piece of crap!
It keeps cutting out. I can barely hear the other person.
Yesterday, I nearly hit a tree trying to answer it while driving. The menu sucks.
Also, has anyone else ever been talking on one while driving for a while, hang up, and then can't remember how you got from one point to next? They're freekin dangerous!

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
Another thing. The one my wife got for me... piece of crap!
It keeps cutting out. I can barely hear the other person.

What kind of phone is it? Who's your service provider? I bet I can tell you the problem.

Yesterday, I nearly hit a tree trying to answer it while driving. The menu sucks.
Also, has anyone else ever been talking on one while driving for a while, hang up, and then can't remember how you got from one point to next? They're freekin dangerous!

No offense, but I think this is where the "user problems" a lot of us have mentioned about come into play. No one mandates that you have to answer your phone while driving. If you must, pull over.

[edit on 8/28/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Although I don't "hate" cell phones I personally don't have any reason to get one. When people start telling me how and why I should get one I respond with "I don't need to be in constant contact with another human being to validate my own existence." That tends to shut them up.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
What kind of phone is it? Who's your service provider? I bet I can tell you the problem.

Don't know if I'm allowed to say it on this site but the provider sounds a lot like "Sing-Goo-Lar" and the phone manufacturer sounds like "Know-KIA".

No one mandates that you have to answer your phone while driving. If you must, pull over.

I won't drive and talk anymore. But it's hard not too. Who wants to have to pull over every time? Plus I think many, many more people should consider pulling over too!

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Yeah, my generation, especially the younger counterparts, really stinks.

I don't think you all stink...LOL....It amazes me how different things are from when I was your age. :shk: Furthermore, I'm not agreeing that cell phones should be banned...only relating personal frustrations from this new cell phone era. When I was your age... I would have had a stroke if my mom had constant access to my where-a-bouts. Thank goodness I didn't have to figure out how to say that to you in question form!!

[edit on 8/29/2006 by jensouth31]

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I use to have a cell phone and I end up really hating it. It wasn't cheap about $300.00 dollar it had Mp3 player, IM, other thing like that but it was such a pain cause everyone want to say "hi" and then there those talk so load in front of pubic space, and there the IMing god what a pain I end up returning the phone.

To be honest all these hand held music players, phone, and computers. Are killing what it mean to be a good person.

First of many people treat pubic place like they own it. It make so many people ruder. Here an example I was walking I Jersey City,New Jersey chilling you know and then there was store I wanted to go to so I when there. Right in front of me was a old lady and having hard time just moving, but then there was a guy talk on his cell phone and when in the store and slam the door right on front in of the old women!!!!!!!!!!!!

What worse is that he broke her hand in doing so!!! He saw what happen and said "oh sorry but I have to this call" I got soooooooooooooo angry he didn't call and 911!!! I when right up to his face took his cell phone and broke it RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS FACE and said "Don't you even care for this poor women. Which is the same women that hand you #%*^@!$ broke!!!!!!!!!!" What even whose is that everyone feel bad for the MAN cause he has a Sidekick 3!! Not the old women. That just is right you know. Finally an ambulance came to help the poor women who probable doesn't have much life in her. :shk:

These thing are are much people colder than I will like
all I saying is that this need to change!!

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Since this is my rant on cell phones, please allow me to continue...

I hate them. I never wanted one but my wife felt that now that she is working again I should have one for emergencies. So, reluctantly, I agree.

Besides being a piece of crap and me almost getting killed trying to talk/dial while driving, I hate the thought that I can't get a moment of piece. Now that I have this thing I am firmly plugged in and connected whether I like it or not.

Some of you have suggested "just turn it off". Well that doesn't work either.

Yesterday I was to meet my wife after work for my son's open house at school. My son, daughter and I are waiting outside the school when suddenly she pulls up. Furious, she says "WHY ISN'T YOUR PHONE ON? I'VE BEEN TRYING TO CALL FOR A HALF HOUR!"

She says she forgot to pack some of my son's school supplies and wanted me to stop at home before coming but she couldn't get a hold of me (of course its not her fault she forgot to pack the supplies).

I say I had it with me... on... in the car. Then she asks if I even bothered to check my messages. I didn't know I was supposed to. I thought it was supposed to be just for emergencies.

We argue for quite awhile that night. She says I didn't check my messages because I'm just being lazy and didn't "think" to check. "Didn't it occur to you that I was late and that there might be a problem?"

So you see... even if you "just turn it off" it doesn't matter... Now I have to not only have it at my side at all times but I also have to make a point of checking my messages regularly! Who cares if it's turned off.

You know... why not just RFID chip me right now so I can be tracked everywhere I go at all times.:bnghd:

[edit on 31-8-2006 by mecheng]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I think the wife is the problem, not the phone! Does she have a power down option?

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I feel your pain. Yesterday I was having a cup of coffee on the porch with my neighbor guy and the land line rings... I didn't answer it, so then my cell phone starts to ring.... I didn't answer it:shk: So the land line starts ringing again :bnghd:

So I'm thinking...maybe I better get the phone...maybe it's important! Well it's my son (who's in the truck with HIS DAD) and he asks me if it's okay to go work out at the gym for a while....What The Hell??? Don't you think his dad could have gave him permission to work out at the gym?? But no.... I guess I must be the boss around here and the anwer had to come down from the top.

So anyway I go back inside, because now my soap opera is on (Days of our lives) and I keep hearing this irriatating noise while I'm trying to watch my show... and it's my cell phone telling me that I missed a call from my son, while I was having coffee with my neighbor! LOL
I swear there is no relief from being tracked down!! I think my kids may have had a gps chip implanted inside my body somewhere ROFL because they can find me no matter where I go, or what I do, with or without my cell phone

[edit on 8/31/2006 by jensouth31]

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I;m on both sides of the fence with this issue too. On one hand Cell phones are usefull. On the other people are way to reliant and attached to them, Texting has gotten way out of hand, and people who already suck at driving are made much worse when they drive and talk on a cell. People also need to realize that they are in their own world babbling when they're in public on a cell phone and they do seem like selfish rude people at the time even if they're in actuallity really nice. I can't stand people who freak out because they couldn't reach me on a cell phone once or twice. What would they be doing 20 years ago when nobody really used cell phones. Same thing with IM's stop calling me every 2 seconds to bombard me with trivial stuff- its just thoughtless and rude. Get a real life and do something that doesn't revolve around filling and wasteing your time, wasting mine.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I;m on both sides of the fence with this issue too. On one hand Cell phones are usefull. On the other people are way to reliant and attached to them, Texting has gotten way out of hand, and people who already suck at driving are made much worse when they drive and talk on a cell. People also need to realize that they are in their own world babbling when they're in public on a cell phone and they do seem like selfish rude people at the time even if they're in actuallity really nice. I can't stand people who freak out because they couldn't reach me on a cell phone once or twice. What would they be doing 20 years ago when nobody really used cell phones. Same thing with IM's stop calling me every 2 seconds to bombard me with trivial stuff- its just thoughtless and rude. Get a real life and do something that doesn't revolve around filling and wasteing your time, wasting mine.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
why did it double post damn sorry about that.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
My mobile phone is a must have, It's with me 24/7. I use it for everything, work, home, calculator, on the spot pics, text messages. I rely on it so much that I never bothered to get an alarm clock, I just use my phone. Don't get me wrong, I can function without it, but having one makes life so much easier in a fast paced world.

Sporty

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Mine just gives me stress and anxiety. Damn bill collectors! Howed they get my cell number. Turn it off! Turn it off! I don't need "unavailable number" ringing every 10 minuts over an issue I've already settled with the bozos. Although I agree with the comic whos idea it was to make our license palte our cell number. Damn that would be great, thanks for cutting me off Jack ass!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join