It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lebanese army cant deal with Hezbollah!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Its like Ive been saying since this all started - the Lebanese Governement and Army cant control Hezbollah!

Makes it pretty clear that the only force in the region capable of dealing with Hezbollah is the Israeli army.

Its unfortunate that the Israelis have killed many innocent civilians, but this information just shows that they had no choice but to act to stop the terrorists attacking their people.

bih

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
neither stronger israel could handle them
at least someone had the ballz to stand against israel

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bih
neither stronger israel could handle them
at least someone had the ballz to stand against israel

Pity that someone was a non-state terrorist group =/

Their actions have brought ruin on their country! Some freedom fighters...Hiding amongst civilians while shooting rockets at a larger and well armed military..

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekiel
Pity that someone was a non-state terrorist group =/

Their actions have brought ruin on their country! Some freedom fighters...Hiding amongst civilians while shooting rockets at a larger and well armed military..

I thought it was the IDF's guided missle attacks on civilian buildings and infastructure that ruined lebanon? Hiding amongst civilians? Every rocket attack i saw from IDF footage shows the rockets being fired from some sort of hilltop, i never ever seen a rocket being fired into Israel from Beirut.

Yes the IDF is larger and well armed, yet they were to pussy to acturly send a large ground force in from the start. Their constant airstrikes and no ground forces have been their downfall, insted of flattening half a city they could of sent their "well armed" forces into Beirut, to dismatle hezbollah while then gaining the appreciation of the inocent Lebanese people, by not making hundred of thousands homeless and killing over a thousand innocent civilians.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wang
I thought it was the IDF's guided missle attacks on civilian buildings and infastructure that ruined lebanon? Hiding amongst civilians? Every rocket attack i saw from IDF footage shows the rockets being fired from some sort of hilltop, i never ever seen a rocket being fired into Israel from Beirut.

Yes Im sure they showed EVERY rocket being fired too. While I agree some would have been fired from surrounding areas there can be no mistake that many have been fired from within civilian areas.

Yes the IDF is larger and well armed, yet they were to pussy to acturly send a large ground force in from the start. Their constant airstrikes and no ground forces have been their downfall, insted of flattening half a city they could of sent their "well armed" forces into Beirut, to dismatle hezbollah while then gaining the appreciation of the inocent Lebanese people,

You might want to check up some of your information there. They havent flattened half a city, they have struck exact targets often leaving the surrounding buildings intact and unharmed, save for some debris.

by not making hundred of thousands homeless and killing over a thousand innocent civilians.

As was reported by a LEBANESE reporter (link in another thread of mine) most of the refugees fleeing the south left their homes intact and in one piece and will return to find them that way. Yes they have been displaced and yes they have had to leave, but its not like Israel has been bombing and shelling every empty house they can find in an attempt to leave these people homeless.

Once the fighting is over and they head home, most will be able to go back to their homes which will be intact and undamaged.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   

You might want to check up some of your information there. They havent flattened half a city, they have struck exact targets often leaving the surrounding buildings intact and unharmed, save for some debris.

As was reported by a LEBANESE reporter (link in another thread of mine) most of the refugees fleeing the south left their homes intact and in one piece and will return to find them that way. Yes they have been displaced and yes they have had to leave, but its not like Israel has been bombing and shelling every empty house they can find in an attempt to leave these people homeless.

Once the fighting is over and they head home, most will be able to go back to their homes which will be intact and undamaged.

Not true on Australian news this morning, channel 10, a report from a town with a population of 7000 with virtually no buildings left standing or safe to inhabit. I'll see if i can find a source to the story, but here's this for starters.

www.guardian.co.uk...

The town centre was utterly destroyed, reduced to a line of disembowelled buildings cloaked in ashen dust. Gigantic craters pitted the roads. Scorched vehicles slouched in the gutters.

check this out

Most will not be able to return to their homes as they have been warned not to until the army has cleared unexploded cluster bombs, 1 child killed and many injured yesterday. Also most of the homes that havent been destroyed have suffered significant structural damage and are unsafe.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Here's some more evidence of what lebanese civilians will be returning to.

source

It's believed more than 100,000 homes in southern Lebanon have been destroyed.

this from ninemsn

source

Southern Beirut has been hit by more missiles than any other part of Lebanon. It's long streets of high-rise building have been turned into valleys of rubble. It's breathtaking. I've never seen so much destruction on such a scale. Perhaps Dresden was like this in WWII. Multi-storey buildings have pancaked down to a few metres of concrete. Street upon street has been levelled. Most of the buildings have long been emptied, the residents fleeing as the war began. Israel maintains that Hezbollah commanders are here, or at the very least their missiles, somewhere under the rubble.
The only resident we meet in the half hour we're allowed is a woman returning to her home. It's on the ground floor of an apartment building that was perhaps 10 storeys high. All those floors are now flattened on top of the one still standing, their enormous weight threatening to crush the one floor left. Incredibly, she goes inside to look for what few artefacts of her life might still remain. And a handful of photographers go with her. My cameraman Kaine and I stand outside. This is not worth the risk, and we tell the others that.
They leave, without incident. As we turn the corner, we hear a loud crash. A building, just like the one they were just in, has come crashing down, in a cloud of dust.

So safe to return home. Do you have links other than one lebanese reporter saying that homes have not been destroyed or are safe to occupy.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
Not true on Australian news this morning, channel 10, a report from a town with a population of 7000 with virtually no buildings left standing or safe to inhabit. I'll see if i can find a source to the story, but here's this for starters.

www.guardian.co.uk...

The town centre was utterly destroyed, reduced to a line of disembowelled buildings cloaked in ashen dust. Gigantic craters pitted the roads. Scorched vehicles slouched in the gutters.

check this out

Most will not be able to return to their homes as they have been warned not to until the army has cleared unexploded cluster bombs, 1 child killed and many injured yesterday. Also most of the homes that havent been destroyed have suffered significant structural damage and are unsafe.

That looks like one of the areas that has taken the most damage, though if you put on the labels on the maps it does show the area with the most damage as the Hezbollah headquarters that was fenced off and surrounded by guards! FENCED OFF AND SURROUNDED BY GUARDS! Im sure lots of civilians lived in there....

So really that photo shows what I have been saying, they are attacking areas that are hezbollah targets and minimising the damage as much as possible to surrounding areas. It is unfortunate that the civilians suffer the collateral damage, but when Hezbollah have a stronghold right in the middle of a suburban area - RIGHT NEXT TO A HOSPITAL AND A MOSQUE they are endangering the community with their reckless attacks!

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
One of my posts stated over 100000 homes destroyed. An earlier post by you stated that "most will be able to return to their homes" I am merely pointing out that this is obviously not the case. I dont believe either side deserve any credit, what i do believe in is fair and accurate comments backed up by facts.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

So safe to return home. Do you have links other than one lebanese reporter saying that homes have not been destroyed or are safe to occupy.

I never said they were safe to go home NOW - i said that when it is safe, they can go home.

Also, I never said there was no destruction. I stated that the destruction was limited to areas in which hezbollah fired rockets from or where they based their operations from (as the map you linked confirmed).

During the start of this conflict the majority of the fighting took place in a number of towns in the South of Lebanon where Hezbollah had their strongest support and safehouses (again, shown by the map you linked). That is why the people of the Southern parts of Lebanon were the greatest sufferers in this conflict.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   

One of my posts stated over 100000 homes destroyed. An earlier post by you stated that "most will be able to return to their homes" I am merely pointing out that this is obviously not the case. I dont believe either side deserve any credit, what i do believe in is fair and accurate comments backed up by facts.

I have not heard that figure confirmed anywhere, though I havent heard it refuted either so Ill take your word on it.

I still stand by my comments that most of the people that have fled north will be able to return home.

I would be assuming that most of those homes were in the Southern Parts of lebanon where the figthing was intense at the start of the conflict, when Israel was trying to root out Hezbollah from the southern borders of Lebanon.

Regardless it is tragic and I hope that these people have some assistance from Israel in rebuilding.

[edit on 14-8-2006 by Ezekiel]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   

most of the refugees fleeing the south left their homes intact and in one piece and will return to find them that way.

Hmmmmm

Edit, sorry code.

[edit on 14/8/06 by mojo4sale]

top topics

join