It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sandi Thom; the girl that got famous because of webcast!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Did anyone already hear of this girl?

I just bought her album.

From The Label:
The girl that webcast from her basement in Tooting to thousands of people across the globe now releases her debut single I wish I was a punk rocker [with flowers in my hair]. Too broke to go on the road, 24 year old singer/songwriter Sandi Thom decided to set up a webcam in her South London flat and staged a three week world tour from the basement. She spread the word about the 21 Nights From Tooting tour via Myspace.com and her own site, inviting fans to watch the tour live on the web or in person at the very modest underground venue of her basement. Pulling in an audience of 70 on the first night, news of the gigs spread like wildfire on the internet and by the end of the ‘tour’ she had 100,000 web viewers from as far afield as Russia, the USA and Pakistan. Drawing on a musical palette that varies from Bob Dylan and Jeff Buckley through Carole King and Stevie Nicks to Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin, Sandi Thom joins the dots between black and white music. The album Smile… It Confuses People seamlessly blends folk and soul strains and influences

Description:
Debut album from young Scottish singer-songwriter, who allegedly landed a deal with RCA after webcasting gigs to tens of thousands of net users from her Tooting basement. This is a solid set of summery, acoustic adult pop, heavily influenced, like Thom's contemporary KT Tunstall, by female folk and rock artists of the 60s and 70s. Includes the no.2 single I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker [With Flowers In My Hair].

This is her website: www.sandithom.com

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
1. You wasted a lot of money on that CD didn't you?
2. Don't believe the hype
3. It would make more sense if she sung about punkrockers with needles in their skin and Jack Boots on her feet. (she would likely have had the flowers pounded out of her by punks in blighty i can assure you.)

(is it an easy task to stream live music and video for 100,000 people worldwide from someone who lives/performs in a basement assuming that MYSPACE didn't fund it)

4. Where is she now? (in hiding i suspect..)

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creeping Jesus
1. You wasted a lot of money on that CD didn't you?
2. Don't believe the hype
3. It would make more sense if she sung about punkrockers with needles in their skin and Jack Boots on her feet. (she would likely have had the flowers pounded out of her by punks in blighty i can assure you.)

(is it an easy task to stream live music and video for 100,000 people worldwide from someone who lives/performs in a basement assuming that MYSPACE didn't fund it)

4. Where is she now? (in hiding i suspect..)

I have to say, I quite enjoy her music actually. It's kinda different. She has a great voice too and funny lyrics. So I don't think I wasted any money. It's a hype I agree with you, but it's not every day someone that casted herself on the web got famous and receives a record company contract, isn't it? I heard she's been visited by almost every record company.

Are you saying that her story isn't true? If it is, it's a good story I think. Neverteless I like it

[edit on 16/8/2006 by rai76]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I made a thread about Sandi Thom. I said that she is pants. And she still is. I hate the stupid rhythms that she uses.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I havent heard her stuff, but i have read that there was a huge net-based spam campaign to get the publicity up (i guess what im trying to say, is that if she was too broke to go on the road, its because she blew all her cash on the pr company).

Smart? yes
Credible? In this day and age.....its hard to say

top topics

join