It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Van Allen Dies at 91

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Haven't seen this on the forums yet, so I figured I would post it for any interested parties to see.

U.S. Space Pioneer James Van Allen Dies at 91

Physicist James A. Van Allen, a leader in space exploration who discovered the radiation belts surrounding the Earth that now bear his name, died Wednesday. He was 91.

The University of Iowa, where he taught for years, announced the death in a statement on its Web site.

In a career that stretched over more than a half-century, Van Allen designed scientific instruments for dozens of research flights, first with small rockets and balloons, and eventually with space probes that traveled to distant planets and beyond.

Van Allen gained global attention in the late 1950s when instruments he designed and placed aboard the first U.S. satellite, Explorer I, discovered the bands of intense radiation that surround the earth, now known as the Van Allen Belts.

I didn't see anything in the article about it, though I wouldn't be surprised if they scattered his ashes in space. It's a very excellent article, and tells a lot about his life.

[edit on 8/11/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I saw that article on a link about a different topic.

Well, he lived to be a ripe old age, and his legacy shall outlast him for certain.

join