It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEUROSCIENCE genetics and the search for eternal life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This has been a dream of man every since we have existed. Right now we are on the brink of becoming Methuselah. The possibility of a life of 650 years is happening right now. Scientist have broke the code of telomeres. They have found caloric restriction slows the ageing process but these are just drops in the pan to what is happening now.
Cynthia Kenyon and a group of neuroscience, geneticist biologist and genetic engineers have accomplished the impossible.

FROM THE LABS OF University of California San Fransisco
Our laboratory studies the regulation of aging. Not very long ago, most people thought that aging was something that just happened. We just wear out, like cars. Not true! Several years ago, we discovered that mutations in the gene daf-2, which encodes an insulin/IGF-1-like receptor, double the lifespan of the nematode C. elegans. Since then, insulin/IGF-1 endocrine systems have been shown to regulate the longevity of flies and mice as well. We have found that this system is regulated by sensory neurons in C. elegans, and that signals from the reproductive system also regulate aging. Amazingly, if we perturb insulin/IGF-1 signaling and reproductive cells in the same animal, we end up with animals that live SIX times as normal! What's more, they stay vibrant and healthy until the very end. We have also discovered that a different regulatory system involving mitochondria functions during development to set the rates of behavior and aging. We are now trying to understand how the insulin/IGF-1, reproductive and mitochondrial pathways, as well as another perturbation, caloric restriction, influence lifespan at the molecular level.

Finding the Fountain of Youth
Where will UCSF biochemist Cynthia Kenyon's age-bending experiments with worms lead us? www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2005/05/29/CMGD8CH62P1.DTL

The magic is combining all we know telomeres, caloric restriction and insulin growth factors. With these adjustment combined it will extend your life to 300 400 quite possible 650 years.

I want to find as much information as possible on this subject if you think we should or should not, that does not matter the knowledge is out there and we need to know it.

Threw genetic manipulation there is nothing we can not become the possibilities of human evolution are endless and adjustable. And can happen right now

Threw use of insulin growth factor 1 a mutation occurs in the myostatin gene
Want super strength for ever, it is available now. www.cbc.ca...

Super cow
www.unc.edu...

mighty mouse gene found in humans/ its just waiting for us to turn it on
www.hopkinsmedicine.org...

www.newscientist.com...

Help me find the answers. Tell every one, the moderators of this site, the scientist you know, this information belongs to all of us and should not be with held.

[edit on 10-8-2006 by leapofdreams]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
You don't find it amazing that we are at a point that allows us to determine what direction we are to evolve to. for example we haed to another solar system stop the ageing process and adjust our genes for optumum surivibility for the plamet we are heading for. Or adapt gills the posibilities are endless.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
It is amazing,
I just hope we live that long to reap the benefits.
Dont know about the rest of you people but I have no problem living forever.
I dont beleive in god so maybe thats why, in any case I would love to watch/participate
in the future of mankind.

[edit on 11-8-2006 by R3KR]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
We're not quite there, yet, I mean you can't go in and
have your genetics tweaked with, but yeah were very close.

I think it is very cool.

Even though, I believe in a form of afterlife, I still would'nt mind
living for thousands of years or more.

I hope to be able to one day visit Delta Pavonis,
so this kind of stuff is sof a great interest to me personally.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I read that in Google scholar search that we can tweak our RNA threw a procedure using a virus shell. The process is to remove the harmful component of the virus and replace that with the enzyme, compound or RNA that is required to initiate the mutation. when ever you got board try searching maybe we can find a site with copies of the lab work being performed on mice.
UCSF used to have all the lab work and journals pertaining to the research performed on the nematode subject. However now that the research has advanced to mammalian it is no longer available to the public.

I don't believe in god but i believe in quantum physics. i have a theory of religion that is entirely based on science perhaps i should get to work and post a thread on that.

Lets see if we can find some more info on this.

[edit on 11-8-2006 by leapofdreams]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
i personally wouldnt want to live to be 650 because if everyone did this planet would become very overcrowded

also i believe in the egyptian afterlife so i would like to know about that

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Careful of the beast. Pray to whomever you like.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Humans always want more and more, whatever it may be that satifies them, hence why in a monetary system, a way of life, they want more and more of it because it satisfies their psychological needs and/or cravings of wanting more. It's a part of their neurological sensors and they're always going to want more, regardless of what it is they like or satisfies them. When your brain wants more something, it sends a signal and it's always gonna want more of whatever it wants or feel is best. So, in a monetary system, humans want money to purchase things that make them happy or satisfy whatever their brain wants satisfied. Whether it be food, royalties, opposite sex, or power. Etc. Which is why we have all sorts of people, including those who we call "evil" because they having lots of money/power satisfies them.

I know this is a bit off topic but if you think about it, the exact same way we need things from our body to simply live can be applied through a much larger scale to where a planet needs it's components (animals, plants, insects, solids, gases, liquids, energy, etc)to be a thriving, expanding planet, meaning it's always growing or if you'd like, perhaps following a cycle that grows, keeps spinning, and is always moving. Might be why they say the universe is constantly expanding and you never hear them say it stops growing. Everything grows in some way as it ages. This system may not lead a bright future for us such as claiming to be a type two civilization and so on, so either most of us die off and sprout a new system or we change the one we have now to either a resource-based economy or whatever best suits humans wants/safeties.
This can also be broken down into atoms whether they crash into each other/ are bonded to each other, they end up forming newer kinds of atoms, hybrids if you will, still carrying it's blueprint from both atoms in it. eventually they keep bonding, crashing, or whatever, thus forming different atoms which then makes newer kinds of atoms usually more improved according to it's environment. Somewhere along the line, consciousness was created which opened up "god knows how many more" possibilities. Hence why there can never be "eternal life because you cannot live as longer than a certain time if time never ends.
edit on 12-1-2012 by InvalidUser23 because: Incorrect text format.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Just heard about this today while listening to some radio...came to search the interwebs about Cynthia Kenyon...not alot.. found some wiki en.wikipedia.org...
but apparently this was big news 6 years ago...not so much today...hmmm to bad.
I'm always jumping on the bandwagon after the fad is long gone....bummers

she gots a website elixirpharm.com that I can't get to open? whats that about?

new topics

top topics

join