It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mac Outage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I don't know very much about Apple computers, but the four day outage of web-based Mac services is causing headaches for users.

.Mac users mock Apple slogan

I'm pretty sure that this is pretty irritating for Mac users, but my guess is that things will return to normal and life will go on. Their nerves may be fried, but what the heck. They're really no better than us Windows users. They'll be better grounded to reality now.

[edit on 2006/7/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
SWEET !!!!
Bout time those apple heads got a little tase of downtime !

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Er, that has nothing to do with the computers, it is a web host outage. Which, I’m willing to bet is not run off of Mac OS software.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Er, that has nothing to do with the computers, it is a web host outage. Which, I’m willing to bet is not run off of Mac OS software.

Did anyone say otherwise?

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
You did imply that this somehow put Mac users on an equal footing with Windows users, thus equating the OS's.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well, if you ignore the totality of my post, I guess you could get that idea. The whole Mac versus PC argument really boils down to operating system preference, at least until Boot Camp came out.

Regardless of the operating system, the idea of buying a computer that cannot have it's components upgraded as the user sees fit, leaves me kind of cold. But, that's just me.

apc

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Still funny though

Besides, Ive had plenty of Macs puke all over me. They can crash and burn with the best of them.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ya it was my mistake for blurting out something that sounded bs. I understand it was a web site that went down, would be stupid if i didnt, however it seemed to be a web site that mac users need/rely on/download from. Sorry for not being so black and white. Next time Ill remember to remove my emotions and drone myself to sheep status.

[edit on 31-7-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Regardless of the operating system, the idea of buying a computer that cannot have it's components upgraded as the user sees fit, leaves me kind of cold. But, that's just me.

You don't know much about macs, then. They are very upgradeable. My mac is a 8 year old beige tower that has been totally upgraded.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
8 years old.....
Upgraded or gutted ?
I think if its that old, it would be safe to say there isnt an original piece in there. If there is....dude its time to go to comp usa !....LOL

And on the upgrading part....
There is NO WAY you can tell me that macs can be changed/upgraded like PC's.
I have NEVER heard of someone buying a new cpu for a mac with out replacing
their motherboard, as far as my personal experience at work, we dont even bother!
Just get a new mac !!!

[edit on 1-8-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I'd have to agree with what those disgruntled Apple users had to say about Mac's technical support: IT'S APPALLING!!

I have never come across such a poorly laid out support website, with totally uncontactable technicians! I was shocked. But then again, I suppose I'm just used to the Microsoft suite (on that note, Firefox is better than IE. Go Firefox.).

Let the dishin' begin!

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

According to Netcraft the site is running on MacOSX.

And apparently the problem has been solved, but I do not have any means to know it.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
There is NO WAY you can tell me that macs can be changed/upgraded like PC's.

In fact, they can. The thing is though, that for PCI/AGP/PCI-E cards you have to have Mac-specific addons because of the build-in software in those. And it can be quite a hazzle to find, since there arent many Mac shops around..

The only thing that you cant get, is motherboards, because Apple is the only manufactor of them.

I have NEVER heard of someone buying a new cpu for a mac with out replacing
their motherboard, as far as my personal experience at work, we dont even bother!
Just get a new mac !!!

Actually, it is definately possible, since I've done it myself. The motherboard thing is probably because the manufactors of the CPU upgrades has a service in which you send in your motherboard and then they swap the CPU, so you are sure not to break anything.

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
I'd have to agree with what those disgruntled Apple users had to say about Mac's technical support: IT'S APPALLING!!

I have never come across such a poorly laid out support website, with totally uncontactable technicians! I was shocked. But then again, I suppose I'm just used to the Microsoft suite (on that note, Firefox is better than IE. Go Firefox.).

Let the dishin' begin!

And it is a pity. Apple's support department was unmatched in the early 90ties.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I'm willing to bet the servers Mac was using were running Windows Operating Systems.

apc

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
doubtful... Ive never heard of dotMac before this thread but it appears to be a kind of online operating and communications environment... probably Unix or whatever the latest Unix-ish evolution of MacOS is these days. Im not well studied but I think the first release of OSX was built around a consult with the homies at FreeBSD.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Do you know where I can get mac upgrades ?
It would be helpful because if I want to upgrade my video card in a mac, or my harddrive in a mac, or my powersupply in a mac...ect.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I love Macs, especially since MacOS X came out, since I'm a UNIX fan too...but .Mac is just a waste of money I think, I'm not a subscriber.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I'm willing to bet the servers Mac was using were running Windows Operating Systems.

Originally posted by apc
doubtful... Ive never heard of dotMac before this thread but it appears to be a kind of online operating and communications environment... probably Unix or whatever the latest Unix-ish evolution of MacOS is these days. Im not well studied but I think the first release of OSX was built around a consult with the homies at FreeBSD.

The site is running on MacOSX.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Apple's servers havent touched Windows in 5 years. Its an official statement, which can also be checked (At least on the external servers, se post above).

Originally posted by imbalanced
Do you know where I can get mac upgrades ?
It would be helpful because if I want to upgrade my video card in a mac, or my harddrive in a mac, or my powersupply in a mac...ect.

A good site with links is www.xlr8yourmac.com, if you live in the US.

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I love Macs, especially since MacOS X came out, since I'm a UNIX fan too...but .Mac is just a waste of money I think, I'm not a subscriber.

Most of the times it is a waste of money. But if you have several macintosh computers and stay at several places often, it is actually worth the money. But otherwise, not at all, way too expensive.

new topics

top topics

join