It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sydney synagogue attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   
www.smh.com.au...

Coupled with the shooting in Seattle and Mel Gibson's Anit-Semitic tirade, things don't look good for your average Jew at this time.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
When are people ever going to learn that beer then grass then your on your ass...?

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
...but grass then beer and your in the clear.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
When are people ever going to learn that beer then grass then your on your ass...?

Hey, grass and beer - I'm in! I don't get the reference though as it pertains to this thread.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well there's a bright side to this story too, for all the people who constantly as "where are all the moderate Muslims condemning terrorism, they need look no farther than this guy, Taj el-Din al Hilaly, Mufti of Australia:

Taj el-Din al Hilaly today said those responsible for the attack were not religious people.

"This is a very bad action. I condemn any terrorism attack. Australia is the land of peace," he told reporters at Sydney's Lakemba mosque.

He said that, even though a person from Bondi had died fighting for Israel, he did not want any of the Middle East conflict to be imported to Australia.

"We will not allow any member of our community to go and fight for Hezbollah in Lebanon," he said.

"We refused to import these problems into Australia."

Still, attacks like this are disturbing, because I fear that as this war goes on, people will take out their anger with Israel on innocent Jews that have nothing to do with the Israeli government's murderous campaign in Lebanon. Australian Jews cannot be blamed for the actions of the Israeli state. American Jews cannot be blamed for the actions of the Israeli state. Only the Israelis themselves bear responsibility for Israel's actions.

I have to say I have heard a lot more anti-Semitic comments since this Lebanon thing began - here in northern New Jersey, where we have a significant, well integrated Jewish population, this kind of talk used to be very rare. Now it is growing increasingly commonplace.

People must not confuse the State of Israel with ordinary, innocent Jews.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I agree entirely but I guess the root of all these problems is the irrationality of religion. When religion rules the mind then logic and reason cannot prevail. When will people preach that there is no right or wrong when it comes to religion. It is only opinion and opinion is only worth debating. It is not worth fighting over.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think it may be a little over the edge to say this was an attack on a synagogue.

From the link posted:

The Parramatta and District Synagogue in Sydney's west came under attack about 9.10pm yesterday when a block of cement was hurled through the glass doors of an attached residence and the windows of two cars on the property were smashed.
(emphasis mine)

If this was not a synagogue it would be considered just another normal act of vandalism.

In this case, neither the residence not the cars are places of worship, so this looks more like the media trying to create a bigger news from something not big enough.

Remember that this war in Israel and the South Lebanon started after the week with the lowest ever TV audiences were known.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Remember that this war in Israel and the South Lebanon started after the week with the lowest ever TV audiences were known.

hmmmmm....Is that a fact?

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Yes, it is a fact.

Apparently, the week of the 4th of July is usually the week with the lowest audiences, but this year was some 5% lower than last year.

CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox averaged 20.8 million viewers during the average prime-time minute last week, according to Nielsen Media Research. That sunk below the previous record of 21.5 million, set during the last week of July in 2005.

source

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Police are investigating the possibility that the attack was religiously motivated.

"There's NOTHING to indicate that, [but] that is obviously one of our lines of inquiry," Inspector Troy Platten said.

Then again..when have police ever been good at solving crimes??

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Yes, it is a fact.

Apparently, the week of the 4th of July is usually the week with the lowest audiences, but this year was some 5% lower than last year.

CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox averaged 20.8 million viewers during the average prime-time minute last week, according to Nielsen Media Research. That sunk below the previous record of 21.5 million, set during the last week of July in 2005.

source

so, are you saying that the war between Israel and Lebanon/hezbollah was created by the American media in order to boost ratings?

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
No.

I am only thinking that it is highly likely that what the televisions have been transmitting since the start of this "crisis", starting with the capture of the Israeli soldiers, has been strongly influenced by the need to boost the audiences in what is known as the worst time of the year for the TV networks.

As I live in Portugal and do not see any broadcasts from the US (and only 10 minutes per day of European broadcasts), I am incapable of knowing what type of coverage they have made and how they have treated all this situation.

Remember that I was speaking about the way that this "synagogue attack" was treated, I never meant to imply that the news stations were behind this war.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This simply won't do. I wish I could buy the place and fire them ALL. Our world leaders have allowed this to happen. They are at best incompetent. At worst... OMG we're toast phweet, poof, smoke.

Attacking anyone at, or any place of worship is as low as it gets in civil society. Justice must be sought.

Victor K.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
Coupled with the shooting in Seattle and Mel Gibson's Anit-Semitic tirade, things don't look good for your average Jew at this time.

Yeah looks really rough for these POOR guys right now. I'm betting that they will have to begin running for their lives like all those Lebanese are running for their very lives.

top topics

join