It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New found Book of Psalms doesn't predict doom; Experts say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   

DUBLIN. July 28, 2006. KAZINFORM - It's not the end of the world, experts announced today. The opening passage of a thousand-year-old Christian prayer book discovered in Ireland does not say that doomsday is near. When the medieval text—a Book of Psalms dated to about A.D.1000—was unearthed by a construction worker in a bog last week, archaeologists described the find as a miracle; KAZINFORM refers to Blake de Pastino for National Geographic News.

But the discovery has since met with some nervous speculation about its possible religious significance.

Doomsayers have focused on the passage that the 20-page text, written in Latin, was opened to when it was first uncovered: Psalm 83.

In the King James Bible, the psalm is a lament to God describing the attempts of nations to wipe out the name of Israel.

www.inform.kz...

Funny, should have expected some sort of falsehood to come from this.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Im lost here. First off, what does a thousand year old book of psalms have to do with the end of the world? especially seeing how the book of Psalms is a book of poetry, song, and prayers written by King David, who was not a prophet and made no prophecies? Its mainly the books of Revalation, Issaiah, Jeramiah, Eziekiel and Daniel that have to do with prophecy and endtime stuff.

I am not seeing a connection?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian
In the King James Bible, the psalm is a lament to God describing the attempts of nations to wipe out the name of Israel.

The psalm describes nations trying to wipe out Israel and that's what Hezbollah
and Iran are trying to do today. Most Arab nations would love to see Israel gone.
The UN clearly has anti-Jewish feelings as well.

I do see the book being opened to that as a sign (heck, you can see a sign
anywhere!). It shows that for thousands and thousands of years people have
been trying to destroy the Jews, and yet the Jews still survive.

It is a reminder of the worst of humanity - the bigotry and hatred towards the
Jews - as well as a reminder of the fortitude and perseverence of the Jews.
(who have a right to live in their little country and be free of terrorist attacks)

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Im lost here. First off, what does a thousand year old book of psalms have to do with the end of the world? especially seeing how the book of Psalms is a book of poetry, song, and prayers written by King David, who was not a prophet and made no prophecies? Its mainly the books of Revalation, Issaiah, Jeramiah, Eziekiel and Daniel that have to do with prophecy and endtime stuff.

I am not seeing a connection?

Hello Skadi

I would like to just say, your belief here, is not quite right. The whole of the Bible, is full of prophesy.

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul in his letters, and John the Revelator all have Prophesy in them, and Prophesies starts as early as Genesis "3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

So, to suggest there is only a few portions of Prophesy, is not quite accurate. I just wished to note this for you to consider.

Have a good evening

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The suggestion is that Jesus made it so that people would find a book of Psalms opened up to a particular psalm that laments that isreal is being attacked, at the same time that hezbollah and isreal are at war with one another, and that perhaps this is a sign of the end of the world.

THe problem, as the article notes, is that the book wasn't opened to a Psalm that laments attacks on israel.

The newfound prayer book, they explain, is an ancient Latin translation from the Greek known as the Vulgate. But the King James Bible, which was translated from Hebrew to English more than a thousand years later, assigns different numbers to the psalms.
So the Psalm 83 found in the Irish book, they say, appears in King James as Psalm 84, which is a song of praise and longing for godliness.
"Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee," the passage reads, "… who passing through the valley of Baca [the vale of tears] make[s] it a well."

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Yossarian

The psalm describes nations trying to wipe out Israel and that's what Hezbollah
and Iran are trying to do today. Most Arab nations would love to see Israel gone.
The UN clearly has anti-Jewish feelings as well.

I would just like to note, that we are talking APPLES and ORANGES here, when discussion falls to these thoughts.

David, was King of Israel, and Israel, at this time, was 12 Tribes (although some can suggest 13. Levi became part of each Tribe, due to their Duties at the Temple).

Judah, was ONLY 1/12th of Israel. So, at THAT time, (of David's Psalms) the hate being assigned ONLY UPON JUDAH HERE, is not accurate. The Hatered was against Israel as a whole country, and only 1/12th of that hate would have been directed towards Judah

Certainly, in the Today scenario, as the Media and Talking Mouths wish us to believe, Israel is only our brother Judah, and the Cainites claiming to be Jews. Due to this, the emnity is focused solely upon Judah.

But I just wished to note, this was not the case, during David's reign.

And I do not know what has been seen, in respects to this Latin vs King James Text,

KJV Paslms 83

1 Keep not thou silence, O God: hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God. 2 For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: and they that hate thee have lifted up the head. 3 They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones. 4 They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance. 5 For they have consulted together with one consent: they are confederate against thee: 6 The tabernacles of Edom, and the Ishmaelites; of Moab, and the Hagarenes; 7 Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; the Philistines with the inhabitants of Tyre; 8 Assur also is joined with them: they have holpen the children of Lot. Selah. 9 Do unto them as unto the Midianites; as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison: 10 Which perished at Endor: they became as dung for the earth. 11 Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb: yea, all their princes as Zebah, and as Zalmunna: 12 Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession. 13 O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind. 14 As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire; 15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm. 16 Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD. 17 Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish: 18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Vulgate Psalms 83

1 In finem, pro torcularibus filiis Core. Psalmus.
2 [Quam dilecta tabernacula tua, Domine virtutum!
3 Concupiscit, et deficit anima mea in atria Domini; cor meum et caro mea exsultaverunt in Deum vivum.
4 Etenim passer invenit sibi domum, et turtur nidum sibi, ubi ponat pullos suos: altaria tua, Domine virtutum, rex meus, et Deus meus.
5 Beati qui habitant in domo tua, Domine; in sæcula sæculorum laudabunt te.
6 Beatus vir cujus est auxilium abs te: ascensiones in corde suo disposuit,
7 in valle lacrimarum, in loco quem posuit.
8 Etenim benedictionem dabit legislator; ibunt de virtute in virtutem: videbitur Deus deorum in Sion.
9 Domine Deus virtutum, exaudi orationem meam; auribus percipe, Deus Jacob.
10 Protector noster, aspice, Deus, et respice in faciem christi tui.
11 Quia melior est dies una in atriis tuis super millia; elegi abjectus esse in domo Dei mei magis quam habitare in tabernaculis peccatorum.
12 Quia misericordiam et veritatem diligit Deus: gratiam et gloriam dabit Dominus.
13 Non privabit bonis eos qui ambulant in innocentia: Domine virtutum, beatus homo qui sperat in te.]

Now I am no Wizz at latin, but Psalms 83 carries the same thoughts through it's text, although it appears not to be as specific as the KJV (IE denoting the peoples against Israel)

As for Psalms 84

KJV Psalms 84

1 How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts! 2 My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. 3 Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God. 4 Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah. 5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them. 6 Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools. 7 They go from strength to strength, every one of them in Zion appeareth before God. 8 O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer: give ear, O God of Jacob. Selah. 9 Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of thine anointed. 10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness. 11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. 12 O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.

Vulgate Psalms 84

1 In finem, filiis Core. Psalmus.
2 [Benedixisti, Domine, terram tuam; avertisti captivitatem Jacob.
3 Remisisti iniquitatem plebis tuæ; operuisti omnia peccata eorum.
4 Mitigasti omnem iram tuam; avertisti ab ira indignationis tuæ.
5 Converte nos, Deus salutaris noster, et averte iram tuam a nobis.
6 Numquid in æternum irasceris nobis? aut extendes iram tuam a generatione in generationem?
7 Deus, tu conversus vivificabis nos, et plebs tua lætabitur in te.
8 Ostende nobis, Domine, misericordiam tuam, et salutare tuum da nobis.
9 Audiam quid loquatur in me Dominus Deus, quoniam loquetur pacem in plebem suam, et super sanctos suos, et in eos qui convertuntur ad cor.
10 Verumtamen prope timentes eum salutare ipsius, ut inhabitet gloria in terra nostra.
11 Misericordia et veritas obviaverunt sibi; justitia et pax osculatæ sunt.
12 Veritas de terra orta est, et justitia de cælo prospexit.
13 Etenim Dominus dabit benignitatem, et terra nostra dabit fructum suum.
14 Justitia ante eum ambulabit, et ponet in via gressus suos.]

Again, this seems inline with each other, but as noted, Latin is a foreign Language, and not a strong suit of mine.

Now, whether there is some "Adjustings" that have been done in the Polyglot Bible, that seems to have aligned these verses with eachother, I can not say. Please feel free to Verify this with the two following links, and those with a flare for the Latin Tongue, maybe a confirmation, or notation of differences could be offered in light of this.
www.sacred-texts.com...
www.sacred-texts.com...

It would be much nicer to have some CONCRETE Assistance one way or the other, than relying on commentary from UNKNOWN SOURCES, such as Nygdan has offered, (Not to be picking on Nygdan for doing so. He's only bringing more to consider)

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Actually, the two are NOT the same!

Originally posted by Shane
As for Psalms 84

KJV Psalms 84

1 How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts! 2 My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. 3 Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God. 4 Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah. 5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them. 6 Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools. 7 They go from strength to strength, every one of them in Zion appeareth before God. 8 O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer: give ear, O God of Jacob. Selah. 9 Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of thine anointed. 10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness. 11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. 12 O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.

Granted that... however...

Vulgate Psalms 84

1 In finem, filiis Core. Psalmus.
2 [Benedixisti, Domine, terram tuam; avertisti captivitatem Jacob.

Roughly an introduction to the psalm "in parts, the psalm of the son of Core"

(check this page for some direct translations of some of the Psalms. 84 is in there : www.sacredbible.org... )

3 Remisisti iniquitatem plebis tuæ; operuisti omnia peccata eorum.

You have remitted the sins of your people. You have covered all their errors.

.. and goes on, and does not match the psalm about the tabernacles and the sparrow. In the Vulgate, the one about the sparrow is Psalms 83. "Keep thou not silent" is #82 in the Vulgate, and so on.

I think you'll enjoy that page, Shane, and after awhile I think you may be able to pick out some of the Latin. I'm no scholar of Latin, but even with my few words and phrases I could spot that they were different immediately

[edit on 29-7-2006 by Byrd]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

I think you'll enjoy that page, Shane, and after awhile I think you may be able to pick out some of the Latin. I'm no scholar of Latin, but even with my few words and phrases I could spot that they were different immediately

[edit on 29-7-2006 by Byrd]

And yes, as note, I did enjoy that, and again thanks for the Guidance.

As expressed, it was nice, hearing, that these Two translations differed, but I believe it is nicer that we have that ability to confirm it in here.

And I have "Added to Favourites" this long, along with "Other" texts I have pasted, so yes, it was appreciated as well.

So I take it then, Psalm's 82 from the Vulgate, would have been reflective of the KJV Psalms 83, and Checking with your link, yes that infact is the case. Some of those names noted as missing, appear quite clearly here.

Your always a wealth of information and thanks again for addressing this here.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It shows that for thousands and thousands of years people have
been trying to destroy the Jews, and yet the Jews still survive.

This is the problem with the world...this is as bad as the Christians stubborn belief in a God (jesus) who listens to them, but in their deepest struggle will not utter a word, despite His all powerfulness.

What problem? That the Jews survive? You a Jew? Can you prove it? What is a Jew?
from what perspective? We make up a thing, let people call themselves this, and the "idea" never dies.

As anyone who studies Judaism knows, know one knows who the true Jew is...and I will go further, if there is one. But lets not go that far, lets stick to what is...no one but God konws the true jew from the mixed multitude, so who is surviving actually?

Irony for you...perpahs the Palestinians are the true Jews being beat up by the cousins calling themselves Jews. From a tree of life perspective the whold concept of left path and right path is interesting, as the right path may actually emenate evil and impose it as if its the left.

You will either get this or not...as it is.

But the point has been made

Peace

dalen

new topics

top topics

join