It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter and the expanding body

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
farout!

cant believe it. Its been so cold here lately and so guess I have been sitting down a lot. lol

well, like today, I have sat at the pc all day and only got up to get food & drink. Lazy...

anyway, the point I am getting at is recently I had a car accident and had to see a Doctor; now I havent seen a Doctor for years...I cant even remember the last time. So I get on the scales, also cant remember the last time I did that.

Like wow! I am 54 kg. I am only 163 cm. I have always been 45 kg so I was like wowzers penny. How can you not notice 9kg extra weight?? Its a gradual thing and you just dont 'see' it. Quite a few people have said lol 'where did you get your boobs from?' ha ha cos I er yanno, was quite modest in that area. lmao

Part of me was like pffft, I dont care and just went back to everyday life and didnt think about it BUT today, I am sitting at the desk and noticed how padded I was and it wasnt the chair. lol Now I havent done anything different at all so how is it it just happens????

Is it just winter???
Middle age spread????

What the???

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
lol I can SO understand! (I just finished e-mailing my friend back home in Melbourne in response to her e-mail about this very same thing lol I know it's cold there you poor things while it's so hot over here in Japan)

I am not-so-mad at being in Japan now for the most part because the extra kilo's I was carrying from 2 years of not doing much other than sitting on my butt kinda just fell off.

I would put it down to eating as per usual and not moving enough to burn it off. You gotta move more and eat less to lose weight but to just manage it move enough to burn off what you're consuming

Perhaps make it a point to at least do like 20 mins of excerise, even just walking, every day, to compensate for the internet surfing

[edit on 28-7-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
Perhaps make it a point to at least do like 20 mins of excerise, even just walking, every day, to compensate for the internet surfing

[edit on 28-7-2006 by ImJaded]

That is sound advice. lol
Earlier I decided to have some biscuits and now cant find the lid to the biscuit container...so I have walked around the house to try and find where I put it. so far havent found it. Who loses things like that?

I once couldnt find the iron and when I got home from work I went to make a coffee and there it was in the fridge! lol

oh well, better eat all the choc biscuits or they will go soggy... lmao

and work some exercise into the daily routine....

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777
I once couldnt find the iron and when I got home from work I went to make a coffee and there it was in the fridge! lol

I put my mobile in the freezer once:bash::bash:

It,s not a winter thing..It,s 48 degrees over here and I still went from 85 to 95kg.
It,s ATS TO BLAME.. this is the real conspiracy...

It,s secret sponsor is Slimfast

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Hi NJE777/
Winter being cold and gloomy and all, makes us not want to go out and exercise, unless we walk to the Fish'n Chips shop ...or order some take out bad food....
:shk:
Anyway.... Gaining extra weight in winter may not be so bad after all ...our body does this for safety measures against the cold, just incase we happen to get the flu or a cold and get sick and all(which happens often in winter)and having a temperture also makes the body use energy,so gaining some weight, may be not such a bad thing, but, would also make some of us not very happy....

I read somewhere that in winter,you can actually burn more energy by wearing fewer clothes...it's a way of tricking the body in thinking it's summer ...
so,
Cold weather makes the body temperature go up, and therefore when we wear less clothing in the winter, the body itself will 'up' its own body temperature for safety against the cold.
So, put on less clothes, and go for a quick walk.....add some weights to your ankles...
Oh, and alternate between a hot and cold shower....
But yeh, we all tend to put on extra kilos .....don't worry too much about that!
I think, the more you stress over this, the more you want to eat.....and i'm guessing it's not health food you crave.

(I'm guessing your female,only because it's the woman that feels weight gain may be a problem...sorry if not female.
45 kilos does not sound like much, and you say your 54 kilos now?
That's not bad....and don' worry!)
......helen

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Hi Helen

I dont mind carrying the extra weight just surprised I didnt notice it!!
Like I went an bought a leg of lamb the other day for a roast. That was just over a kilo and it was pretty big. lol well I was thinking about that and then thinking about the 9kgs and sort of worked out that I have been carrying 9 lamb roasts around with me. lmao

I am female too...so ur right. It is good to carry a bit of extra weight around though, the risk of getting the cold or the flu in winter, body needs it.

I have always been thin so is nice to have some shape, oh and some boobs! lol
I cant handle the cold weather at all and wear so many layers of clothes...so dont think I will bother about the wearing less clothing ... I prefer 9kgs rather than being cold

cheers
Nat

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Hi Helen

I dont mind carrying the extra weight just surprised I didnt notice it!!
Like I went an bought a leg of lamb the other day for a roast. That was just over a kilo and it was pretty big. lol well I was thinking about that and then thinking about the 9kgs and sort of worked out that I have been carrying 9 lamb roasts around with me. lmao

I am female too...so ur right. It is good to carry a bit of extra weight around though, the risk of getting the cold or the flu in winter, body needs it.

I cant handle the cold weather at all and wear so many layers of clothes...so dont think I will bother about the wearing less clothing ... I prefer 9kgs rather than being cold

cheers
Nat

Hi there NJE........
lol,
I hope you didn't eat the whole 1 kilo lamb?
Did you?
lol,
I guess when you look at it like that........like in those shows about carrying a sack full of potatoes or butter or similar type....

then thinking about the 9kgs and sort of worked out that I have been carrying 9 lamb roasts around with me. lmao

Whereabouts are you in Australia?
I'm in Melbourne and it has been quite cold and chilly and all......I seem to want Summer to come now!
And when the sun is out, it feels so nice to just sit outside....
So, dont worry too much about your weight......

I cant handle the cold weather at all and wear so many layers of clothes......

You sure that your ''layers'' of clothes aren't making you weigh heavier?,lol,....
I hate wearing so many clothes.....i wear just a singlet with a long sleeve top, and a heavy jacket if real cold.....even shorts with a jumper, i'm a bit wierd, i've been told.....i sometimes do the opposite in summer,
Anyway, do take care, and if your close by, we could go for coffee.....

(winter tend to makes one feel a little sad and all, so that's why i'm talking way too much in here...)
see ya
helen

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I was only saying the other day how long this winter felt. Its been the longest winter I have known. I am in Adelaide Hills so very cold too. I go to Melbourne quite a lot for famliy reasons so could catch up...so long as there is cake with the coffee. lol I generally fly in and fly out for the weekend which doesnt leave a lot of time. The travel time peeees me off. Even though I get into Tullamarine at 6 ish I really dont land until after 8pm. Time difference as well, lose 30 mins straight away.

oh and cant believe it, I still havent found the biscuit lid. I have looked every where! oh well.
lmao Maybe I ate it?

There is actually a medical condition called SAD..seasonal something depression. Your body needs sunlight and I think the lack of sun and vit D causes seasonal depression. Not always but it can happen.

Nat

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Even though I get into Tullamarine at 6 ish I really dont land until after 8pm. Time difference as well, lose 30 mins straight away.

Wow, you sure you haven't been abducted by aliens?
The 30 minutes 'time lapse''
lol,

oh and cant believe it, I still havent found the biscuit lid. I have looked every where! oh well.
lmao Maybe I ate it?

The biscuit lid,I have a few extras, lol, better to lose the biscuit lid then the whole Biscuit tin!

There is actually a medical condition called SAD..seasonal something depression. Your body needs sunlight and I think the lack of sun and vit D causes seasonal depression. Not always but it can happen.
Nat

Yep, I have heard about that...documantary on 'Alzeimers patients' or Psychiatric,can't remember what it was exactly, spoke about patients been allowed to go out in the sunlight a few hours or so a day, makes them feel better and all.
It also helps depressive moods,must be a chemical thing in the body that reacts as a ''feel good factor''
Almost like Chocolate!

see ya....
helen

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Yes, Winter does this to a body. Also, have you noticed that summer clothes stored during Winter have to be restretched to fit; I think the clothing fibers get frozen or stiff in Winter. And some articles of clothing just won't fit after storage, no matter what! I just give them away and find something in a store that fits.
Now, sometimes Winter clothes stored during Summer do the same thing, but I think that's not so much storage as, being Winter clothes, they act like they're all wool, and shrink like they've been washed in hot water.
My husband's clothes seem to follow a different rule for shrinkage (not necessarily season dependent); so I think this seasonal shrinkage might just affect women's clothes.

top topics

join