It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can there ever be peace in the Middle East?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Can there ever be peace in the Middle East?

For as long as I can remember, the Middle East has been a "powder keg". One country or another, in the Middle East, has, at one time or another, attacked Israel. In turn, Israel has done it's share of actions that others find disagreeable. Frankly, it's been "tit for tat", like children arguing for far too long.. Unfortunately, we are not talking about a couple of kids fighting over a soccer ball. In this intance, people's lives are affected -- people are killed, maimed and a cycle of pain continues.

Through various threads and posts that I have read, here at ATS, I have noticed a variety of opinion on this issue. Some people have called for the destruction of Israel with the elimination of the Jewish people as a "solution" to this. On the other hand, there have been those who have, similarly, called for "nuking" Iran or Syria or some other Arab or Muslim nation. Can destroying one side or the other really resolve anything? If the Arab or Muslim nations destroy Israel, would the problem go away? If anything, it would justify Israel's posture of self-defense. In fact, it would demonstrate that Israel was, indeed, the moderate influence in the region. On the other hand, in a similar vein, if Israel were to destroy Syria, Iran, Lebanon -- whatever nation -- would that not only demonize Israel even further?

Surely there must be some sort of middle ground. But what could be done to bring true resolution to this "endless war"? How can the perpetual "tit for tat" exchange be amicably, justly ended?

Given that Israel "has a right to exist" what would Israel have to do to "make amends", "atone" or, from the other perspective, "justify" their position bringing closure to this conflict -- and I am not simply referring to the present punitive incursion into Lebanon.

Given that the Palestinians have been "victimized" by Israel and the World Community, what would help resolve the issue of a permanent Palestinian state? How can this ever be acheived.

Given that Iran has called for the destruction of Israel, what can ever bring about a change to this attitude? What could ever be done to change the attitudes of other Arab or Muslim nations from similar views to one where Israel can finally be accepted into the region as a full friend and partner state?

Or are we all destined to witness this eternal drama of hate, violence and pain long into the future finally ending in the destructin of one side or another?

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Sigh...

Even if the whole world was destroyed, leaving only one country, with its people following the exact same values... even they would eventually find a reason to fight each other over some tiny little difference.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm a Christian and a realist on foreign policy. I don't see there ever being a lasting peace in the land of Palestine. Of course, there are wars in other places. I suppose as long as humans inhabit the earth, there will be war. It's human nature. And the law of the jungle.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I'm a Christian and a realist on foreign policy. I don't see there ever being a lasting peace in the land of Palestine. Of course, there are wars in other places. I suppose as long as humans inhabit the earth, there will be war. It's human nature. And the law of the jungle.

sad but true. the next generation of children on both sides of this conflict have already been brainwashed into believing in their cause, seen the pics of kids signing artillery shells in Israel and children in Palestine lining up to become suicide bombers, what hope for peace when the next generation is already intent on killing each other.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
What was that saying?
so long as there are humans, there will be wars.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I really do wish to see peace in the middle east.But as one other member has mentioned,there will always be a petty reason to fight.

I can tell you one thing for sure.A single group is responsible for this current situation.I do not know on what side or who it is,but the current situation in the middle east is the responsibility of a certain single group.It always is and if youmany of you would read the history of the middle east conflict,you can narrow down all the conflicts to one group that set it off.I surely hope God will punish them for this.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
the problem is when the peace steps in, if it does. the islamic countries will be looking for ways to get back at israel for what they have done. that is the front of the situation. as soon as israel started this war they had to finish it. if they turnback they are just asking for more trouble.

on the thing of a group being responsible, yep probably is. this is probably due to some longer plan to gradually get this region to goto all out war. for what reason did israel bomb outside south lebanon if they wanted to get hezbollah. there was no reason for it.

there will never be peace until they have all out war, and then after the exhaustion of that, they probably think that there may be peace.

AS LONG AS THERE ARE DIFFERENT RELIGIONS IN THE MIDDLE EAST THERE ALWAYS WILL BE FIGHTING. every side thing that jerusalem belongs to them.

top topics

join