It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What constitutes a "world war"?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Might sound a stupid question but with all the talk of WW3 being thrown about on this site, i thought i'd bring it up.

When does a conflict involving a couple of countries become a world war? Let's see, so Israel is attacking Lebanon, Syria and Iran gets in on the action, the US then decides it's thier cue to make a stand and takes the UK with them as they stand up because Blair's still hugging Bush's leg.........oh yeah and Kim decides that too many people are playing without him again.......but thats still only a few countries.

Obviously not every country takes part in world wars, some choose not to, some are unable to. Who decides that we are now in a "world war"?

CX.

[edit on 21/7/06 by CX]

[edit on 21/7/06 by CX]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'd say that a 'world war' is not so much about the number of countries that take part but more so about WHICH countries are fighting. Two small nations involved in a struggle is far far different to two major world powers head to head... Say for instance China and the US were to enter a situation, it would have such MAJOR effects on not only military matters but economical and sociological levels that it could be deemed a 'world war'... you could say that the definition is purely relative since some peoples 'world' is very small... but for now i hope that helps a little

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
A world war is a conflict that is taking place around the globe. The conflict can vary from open warfare to a clash of culture/societys values. The fight against radical islamic extremists is a global conflict so in effect it is a world war.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I would say what defines a "world war" is the amount of effect that it has on the world and the other countries. It would be the magnitude of fighting and how much the economy, cultures, lifestyles and so on is effected by it, not just by how many participate.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
A simple definition of world war is a war that affects the world economicaly or physicaly.That would be my guess

top topics

join