It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart
I've only just seen this thread, why is no one using Adblock?
I'm generally going through my massive TV and adverts on that are unbearable.

Y'all should have completely read the T & C...

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

The use of an Ad blocker is not allowed...

Although the blocking of offensive ads should be put into practice...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: tanka418

Oh man this fight ad is driving me bonkers!
I can't stand roll over ads, and this one even pops back up cause when you close it your mouse is still on it and it can pop up again!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Oh man this fight ad is driving me bonkers!
I can't stand roll over ads, and this one even pops back up cause when you close it your mouse is still on it and it can pop up again!

I know right!!?!

Actually there are a couple of ads that will pop up AND do s with their "close link" over the "roll over area", making it quite impossible to close the ad.

The worst of it is that these kinds of ads are actually counter productive, on any site. They tend to prevent navigation and frustrate the user (visitor) which is never a good thing. And, even worse, ads like this tend to decrease the potential for making money from such ads, and of course tend to lead the visitor away from the original site.

Anyway...if y'all use your "refresh" button, the ad will probably be replaced with another, perhaps less obnoxious one.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

have you tried signing in on mobile with the roll over ads? impossible to actually sign in on the site from there....so i don't anymore....

edit on 11-9-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I understand that advertisements are important to generate revenue to keep ATS up and running (or something like that, right?). My problem/complaint is that the ads become HUGE! I just had to click "close ad" or "hide ad" or some variation SIX TIMES in the time it took me to get from the "new topics" page to this FORUM and reply section. Isn't there a WAY that ATS can keep the ADS it needs without letting them become so INTRUSIVE?

( Note the witty way I tried to randomly insert larger font to simulate the frustration of going on ATS and having to close/minimize ads to see anything!
)

Thank you all for your hard work to keep our beloved site going. I hope that you will consider a slightly more minimalist approach to advertising.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The whole rolling over an ad with your pointer is pissin me off. I might be calling it a day here soon. I have no problems with ads. Back before the majority were just data miners I would click on some. Now I just got to a different site.

ATS, come for the discussion. Leave because of the ads.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ads have taken off in quantity and scope in the last three weeks.
edit on 28-9-2014 by newthings because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I don't understand the mentallity of an ad that drives you
to the point you remember forever how the ad made you
despise the product. Relentlessly! Like the one
with our little spanish speaking friends won't be seen as
provocation?

Get outta here with that!

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Cause it still gets their name in your head.
Kidnda like any publicity is good publicity

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yep, ATS has totally given in to the commercial grab bag. The ads are so invasive and taking over to the point this site is little more than ads with a small viewing window for posting. Sad move, owners.

Any when is that stupid pop up about being concerned about global warming going to be done? Now I get that popping up and an expanding ad coming from the right covering it so I can't even "x" close it because it's now partially covered.

And the threads now have HUGE ads in the middle of them. Yeah, is not about denying ignorance anymore, is about $$$. Like others I'll be looking for a more "user friendly" place to actually discuss things that really matter. Sad, sad, sad move, owners.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: wishes

I know right?!??

Today I had one pop up out of nowhere; asking if I wanted to take a survey...and that gentlemen; I think is a wee bit excessive.

I think the problem is that they don't get paid unless we go "clickie"...

But adding more intrusive advertising isn't the answer.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I like the Walking Dead just as much as the next guy, but really? This ad comes flying at you and takes up the whole top
of the screen. Like a previous poster said, the ads are so annoying that it makes you never want to buy the product.
Yes, I make a mental note. It's in my head. It's in my head to never buy the product because the ad was so irritating.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

This ad keeps automatically redirecting me to the iTunes App Store, it's driving me bananas!

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
WTH is this new add right in the top of the Recent posters, please get rid of this. Ads are so annoying and this is the worst I have seen, you can't even get rid of it.

Wants to expand or just sits there covering the most recent posts...

Hit Recent again and gone, wow that was fast..jk. Never saw it before.
edit on 10/26/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Gulp. Ah, folks, (looks over shoulder for pixels rumbling toward self), have you noticed that the ads on the top of the page are.....getting bigger? (peeks over to the left, where an ad for a movie is trying to compete with the latest thing) They are covering about a third of the page now, while just recently a quarter of the page would do. They are getting hungrier, and (what's that noise????) every time I look they seem to be staring back at me....only very large now. The day of the triffids comes to mind, but that's only because I will eat broccoli soon.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Majic

A positive way to remove all adds would to ask for a one dollar donation from each member. when that money runs out ask for another buck this would be well worth it not to have any adds at all on ATS.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

WORLD OF TANKS is TANKING OUT MY BROWSER!!!

The video associated with this ad is causing things to freeze up to the point I have to switch to my phone now.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer
a reply to: Majic

A positive way to remove all adds would to ask for a one dollar donation from each member. when that money runs out ask for another buck this would be well worth it not to have any adds at all on ATS.

So I'm sittin' here thinking about this "$! donation" thing...seems to me that IF ATS were to add another class of member; say a "subscriber", or something like that and have a recurring charge of $1.00 every month...that might not be so bad. I already give Blizzard $15 every month, so even on a limited income, that is rather easy to accommodate.

@AnteBellum
The biggest issue I have with these kinds of ads is the fact that they are designed to take over One's machine and screen upon loading. I have always thought this to be almost the ultimate "RUDE". Back in the day, just a few years ago actually, it was considered something to NOT do. Even farther back, browsers wouldn't support it.

Today we have unethical, uncaring, A*holes who think that just because you can write the script it is somehow okay...

The notion that it is okay to take control of someone's browser, without offering an option should be considered criminal.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

WORLD OF TANKS is TANKING OUT MY BROWSER!!!

The video associated with this ad is causing things to freeze up to the point I have to switch to my phone now.

Yes...WORLD OF TANKS HAS TO BE SHUT DOWN EVERY TIME I VISIT A PAGE OR REFRESH ONE.WHY DONT WE TELL THESE ADVERTISERS TO BUILD IN A MEMORY OF A CLOSING CLICK?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
so even when i am logged in i still see little ads at the top and sides.....real small, no big deal.
today though, every so often when i click on something instead of going to that page, i get a full white page with a zales at at the top....no x to close it out...i have to go back or refresh...
this happening to anyone else.....

full white page with small zales ad at the top...it sucks and it happens about every 5th page

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join