It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate to pass stem cell bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   

The White House emphatically renewed President' Bush's threat to veto a bill heading toward Senate passage that would authorize federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, a practice Mr. Bush loathes.

"If (the bill) were presented to the president, he would veto the bill," read a fresh official statement of administration policy Monday, with the sentence underlined for emphasis.

"The bill would compel all American taxpayers to pay for research that relies on the intentional destruction of human embryos for the derivation of stem cells, overturning the president's policy that funds research without promoting such ongoing destruction," it said. Mr. Bush says the practice forces a choice between science and ethics.

There is just no sensible, logical reason why we would not make use of stem cell research," said Specter, R-Pa.

Opponents say the advance of science is not worth destroying human life. They believe that embryonic stem cell research is immoral because the process of extracting the all-purpose stem cells destroys a fertilized embryo that is a few days old.

"The government should not be in the business of funding this ethically troubling research with taxpayer dollars," Brownback said, adding that using embryos for such research amounts to "treating humans as raw material"

source and rest of article

Well it seems Mr bush is none to happy about this development by the senate. Personally i see both sides of the argument concerning stem cell research, to do the research could mean that we have potential breakthough's regarding medical issues and on the other we have those that belive that it is immoral and even possibly inhuman.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
More I see all these issue about the stem cell research as nothing more than an effort to by the multi billion dollar empire that pharmaceuticals and health care business is to stop the finding of cures to the diseases that they are making so much money with miracle treatment pills.

Religious groups my butt, the get their funding and plenty to lobby against it, but I tell you something . . .

Are we sure is just the religious rights the ones against it?

new topics

join