It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

De-program the fear!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
It seems to me that society, for whatever reason, is doing its best to program us to be fearful of alien encounters through the medium of entertainment such as movies, TV, and video games.

The only reason I can see for society programming us to be afraid, is because people in power are afraid that if... let's call them aliens... come to live among humans that, for whatever reason, their power will be lost, so they do their best to instill a fear in us, programming us to fight back, and make the aliens too scared to reveal themselves for fear of being injured, or worse, killed.

It would be nice if 'friendly alien' movies/tv shows/video games were as common place... ney, more common place than... 'invading alien' movies/tv shows/video games.

Is it not disgusting that violence seems more highly valued in our society than peace?

Anyway, those are just my thoughts and I hope everyone here has valuble points to add to this thread.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
What about third rock from the sun. That was a funny and I personally feel very pro-alien tv show.

They came to conquer and fell in love with humans and humanity and anyone who thinks John Lithgow wasn't freakishly funny just doesn't know humor...in my opinion of course.

But the main reason in the end that you will always see movies and tv shows where we fight aliens is because conflict sells.

Also, if you look at shows like Star Trek, Stargate and even Farscape there is portrayel of both good and bad aliens.

I also wouldn't pay ten bucks to see a movie about earthlings and aliens coming together for a better tomorrow. I'd love to see it happen in reality, but when I watch sci-fi I want to see things get blowed up and blowed up big time.

Aliens would have sucked if Sigourney weaver and the big Alien had resolved their issues over tea.

But that's just me.

Spiderj

join