It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Issues Suggestion Box

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This thread is for suggestions from the membership. I would like to see Social Issues thrive as a "marketplace of ideas," but that is only possible if everyone feels comfortable with self-expression. So, let us know what you think will loosen up those phalanges and get those keyboards clicking.

Here's my suggestion:

Start a thread! Don't wait for someone else to do it. Organize your thoughts. Do a little research and commit it all to print. You really have nothing to lose. PTS is fertile ground for earning points these days, so if you're a little short on points, there's no better place to build a little capital.

Go for it!

[edit on 2006/7/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Thanks Grady for the encouragement I already has seen many threads coming forward.

With such much ado and fuss with the middle east people tend to get busy and forget that we still have a nation full of problems and social issues to discuss.

I know a lot of people like this issue and will do anything to support it.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
My pleasure, marg. I think "Social Issues" can be the best forum on PTS and maybe the whole board for that matter.

Spread the word! "Social Issues" rules!

[edit on 2006/7/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Spread the word! "Social Issues" rules!

I tried.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Grady,

I have an idea. May be foolish, but many ideas are until they see the light of day...

How about this...

Invite members to write a paragraph or two about their professions... It would fit nicely into Social Issues and could be fun to see what people think of their individual professions...

Now what I was thinking was a separate section, like a Forum within a Forum, where people talk about their careers, why they choose them and the high and the low events within those careers...

Just an idea my friend....

Semper

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
That's an excellent idea as a topic for Social Issues.

Whether or not a sub forum could be set up is a matter for admin and ownership, but we could certainly get the ball rolling by having our members tell us about their careers and dreams of careers in a thread here on Social Issues.

[edit on 2008/2/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
hello, what about something that requires the individual to state their individual perspective to their social environs.

It doesn't have to be really personal.

You could have age, profession, income, area where they live and issues that they are dealing with in that area.

I think that would be very interesting as I know that whenever someone posts something to do with the area they live, they usually know more than what the media offers up.

I always read with interest.

I also think that instead of 'recent posts' in separate categories for ATS, BTS AND PTS, perhaps merge PTS with ATS recents? That way, a lot of interesting posts would not be missed.

cheers

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
for this issue ,i think the most important thing was to give more care to our surroundings

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
With such much ado and fuss with the middle east people tend to get busy and forget that we still have a nation full of problems and social issues to discuss.

edit on 2-11-2010 by koreannie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Why is it that in the United Sates you can have a NAACP but no NAAWP? How about discussing that? I dare you!

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
suggests.. hmmm no suggestions.. because its already nice ^_^

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

hope this helps....

I don't think I've ever seen an expansive article about unalienable rights. We all seem to just refer to the Declaration of Independence and what Jefferson wrote, and then defer to it. But natural law and unalienable rights are where it all starts.
Thomas Jefferson wrote: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and are endowed by their Creator with certain Unalienable Rights... Self-Evident. Obvious. Perhaps it was self-evident to the 18th Century common man, but I submit to you that the common 21st Century mind is not equally equipped. Much of the wisdom of the ages has been withheld from the modern man by the government schools. And why not? If you are a government, both tasked by The People to educate them and controlled by the same People, why teach generation after generation how to control you? Why not teach those generations how to be controlled? Self-evident truths bow to governmental self-preservation.
Building a tower requires building a firm foundation FIRST... or your tower goes over when the winds blow hard. Gentle readers, we're in a CAT 5 hurricane right now that's going to take down our American tower. If you do not have a working understanding of unalienable rights, you'll likely fall for the next iteration of oppressive, tyrannical government foisted upon an uneducated populace who move their lips when they read. And if you don't truly understand this philosophy, you cannot possibly teach it to your young.
Unalienable rights are also known as Natural Law or Absolute Rights. In this article these terms will be interchangeable. Also, the use of a male pronoun or the word "man" means all humans.
We begin with a definition of "Unalienable:"
"Unalienable: incapable of being alienated, that is, sold and transferred." Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, page 1523. One cannot sell, transfer or surrender unalienable rights. The Creator bestowed them on every individual. All human beings possess unalienable rights. Unalienable rights cannot be taken nor surrendered but they can be simply ignored. This is a little like the story Jesus told about the prodigal son. A recalcitrant son learns through tough lessons that he cannot escape his father's love nor his rights as his father's son.
But can we find natural human rights without a recognition of a Creator? Yes, without a doubt. What you'll learn here about Natural Law dwells in the heart of every human being simply because he exists. The concept of Unalienable Rights is life-affirming whether or not you believe in a Higher Power, since the concept showcases the uniqueness of the human being in this world. Unalienable Rights are the highest form of humanness while at the same time the most elementary of man's characteristics.
Unalienable or Inalienable?
There is a very serious error made throughout America as related to Unalienable Rights. That is, that many people use the term "Inalienable Rights" and think that the terms are interchangeable. But they are as different as night and day.
Inalienable Rights: Rights which are not capable of being surrendered or transferred without the consent of the one possessing such rights. Morrison v. State, Mo. App., 252 S.W.2d 97, 101.
Inalienable rights can be transferred, sold or surrendered if you give your consent. Inalienable rights are not bestowed by the Creator or inherent in humans. "Persons" have inalienable rights, and the word "Person" is a legal term1. Inalienable rights can be bestowed to persons by government, and can be likewise removed from persons by government. At times, government itself can be considered a "Person" in a legal sense. Most state constitutions recognize only inalienable rights.
Therefore, because we possess Unalienable Rights, endowed by our Creator, to secure these rights(not grant or create them), "Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."2 And the rights we bestow upon government are the Inalienable Rights that we all possess that can be transferred to other persons.
We're going to build this like a pyramid, much like the Hierarchy of Needs developed by Professor Abraham Maslow, Ph.D. He placed the bedrock human needs as the base of the pyramid, these being the most fundamental needs upon which all others are built. Physiological needs are first, simple survival of the human body. Next up comes Safety, then Love, Esteem, then Self-actualization as the headstone.

All credit to Russell D Longcore, full article available via Jeff Rense

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I have been floating around the forums for a couple of weeks now and made a few observations. It seems to me that allot of posts are redundant in some manner.

Take this forum for instance. There have been several posts exposing specific instances where the actions of law enforcement officers are rather brutal. Below is just a quick link list from the past 24 hours.

How about some sub forums dealing with some of the broader issues?

Instances dealing with Law Enforcement Officers and acts of brutality.
Instances dealing with Law Enforcement Officers and corruption.
Instances dealing with Law Enforcement Officers and preferential treatment.

For example I found a post on YouTube about an officer that was arrested at gunpoint by a highway patrol officer for leading her on a 3-7 minute (depends on the source how long the chase actually did last) minute high speed chase.

Or possibly making a separate forum just for issues dealing with Law Enforcement in General and possibly shifting it to the Current events forums.

Well those are some of the things that have crossed my mind about improving the forums, as it seems to apply to several of them.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
i have nothing to add but wanted to find a good place to suggest an ingenious movie called 'Waking Life' , about social and phycological issues and ideas by richard Linklater. VERY INTERESTING!!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
please make this a thread below for me.. thank you

title: ask more muslim women,

content: how they would like to see their country instead of some of the men. shame on me for not remembering her name but i feel the woman who won an oscar tonight for the movie Saving Face feels more pakistani women want change, feels this would be a start towards more peace

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Perhaps you could list some social issues you'd like to see threads on.

e.g ???

1. marriage as a viable institution?
2. child rearing--how to help insure children succeed as adults in a vastly changing world?
3. How to form networks in a chaotic martial law situation?

4. How to overcome significant degrees of serious ATTACHMENT DISORDER as adults?
5. How to succeed at a job in a rapidly changing chaotic world?
6. How to survive a POW situation?

7. How to have hope when all around are losing theirs?

What?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Its pretty simple. There is no other big issue that society is facing today than moral degeneracy.

Basicly, if you get rid of degeneracy, you'll solve most of society's issues, making them more morally trained

join