It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the megaliths of malta

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
i have seen little to no discussion about the grand megaliths found in the nation of malta on this forum, so i decided to start a thread dedicated to discussing possibly the oldest manmade structures on the planet.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Which particular megaliths are you referring to, if any in particular? There are indeed many interesting and ancient structures that seem to have little to no historical background that we know of. Here is one of my favorites:

This is a temple complex in Mnajdra, just off the coast of Malta island. Freemason CT's have been trying for years to say that it is a blatant owl shaped structure reminicent of the early days of the "global conspiracy to rule the world". Can't help but laugh at that one.
Most of these scattered throughout the mainland were used as burial structures, but also retained some ceremonial value later in their existence.

Most of the structures, however, are either temple remains, or outlyers having something to do with ceremonial worship.

Seven megalithic temples are to be found on the islands of Malta and Gozo, each a result of an individual development. The Ggantija complex on the island of Gozo is remarkable for its superhuman achievements dating from [the Bronze Age] 3,600 BCE On the island of Malta, the temples of Hagar Qim, Mnajdra and Tarxien are unique architectural masterpieces, given the very limited resources of their builders. The Ta' Hagrat and Skorba complexes bear witness to the development of the temple tradition in Malta. The Hal Saflieni Hypogeum is an enormous subterranean structure excavated with cyclopean rigging to lift huge blocks of coralline limestone around the year 2500 bc (3,000 BCE). The Hypogeum, possibly conceived as a sanctuary, has been a necropolis since prehistoric times.

Source

Occasionally, you'll even come across some megalithic artwork representing various gods and goddesses. Here is one of the goddess of fertility:

They are pretty rampant around the island and neighboring areas. As I asked before, what exactly were you looking for?

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The islands of sicily and I think sardinia also have gigantic megaliths like that. Apparently the med. Islands were very popular.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by EdenKaia
Which particular megaliths are you referring to, if any in particular? There are indeed many interesting and ancient structures that seem to have little to no historical background that we know of.

i'm looking for nothing more than to shed light on this topic for others, i'm personally well informed on the temples (hell, i'm from the little island), and would like to add another facet to the discussion of ancient civilizations

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Malta facinates me. Ive done some reading on the hypogeum (spelling.?) & also read that Malta is basically an Island of rock on top of a maze of underground caverns & caves.

Can any1 provide some good links too this stuff & also links to the megaliths.?

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by EdenKaia
Which particular megaliths are you referring to, if any in particular? There are indeed many interesting and ancient structures that seem to have little to no historical background that we know of.

i'm looking for nothing more than to shed light on this topic for others, i'm personally well informed on the temples (hell, i'm from the little island), and would like to add another facet to the discussion of ancient civilizations

Good idea! What are your favorite megaliths? Do you live near any?

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i have seen little to no discussion about the grand megaliths found in the nation of malta on this forum...quote]

Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but my excuse is that (to my embarrassment) I've never even heard of these megaliths! I'm going to have to investigate further, now...

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
seeing that i'm over here in malta now, i thought i'd bump this thread and post a link to encourage some discussion

www.heritagemalta.org...

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
So tell us what you've been able to see? Have you been able to visit any of the structures? Got pictures?

Us nosy folk want to know!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
huh, the "reply to" button doesn't seem to be working properly here...

well, Byrd, i've visited a few sites in my life, but only the Hypogeum since i came back. unfortunately, no pictures of that (it's a very, very controlled environment).

i'll probably be visiting more of the sites as things start to warm up, right before the tourists start flooding in. i will post pictures once i do.

i'm also starting to get involved with the archeology department at the university here, so i'll probably be helping with digs (last summer i was on a Roman site on the island of Gozo)

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Howdy Madnessinmysoul

Sounds like a name from Miskatonic U

I was on Gozo a few years ago, are they x-ing the Greco-Roman fishing/port or the villa at the base of that central hill or somewhere else?

top topics

join