It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toxic Drugs Contaminate St. Lawrence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
People and animals excrete drugs in their urine. These drugs then make their way from the sewers into waterways, soil and the oceans.

Unknown compounds can result when the drugs interract. The drugs and compounds have unpredictable effects on fish, other animals and microbes.

A recent study found measurable levels of toxic drugs in the St. Lawrence River.

Toxic drugs contaminate St. Lawrence

Environment Canada researchers have found a dozen different types of toxic drugs in water samples taken from the St. Lawrence River in Quebec.

The drugs include non-prescription anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen, prescription antibiotics and drugs prescribed to treat epilepsy and Alzheimer's disease. Researchers even found caffeine.

Although the study dealt specifically with the St. Lawrence, drug pollution in waterways is widespread, said Francois Gagne, who authored along with two other researchers the study published earlier this year in the journal Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. ..."When you're near a city, you're going to see it," Gagne said. ...Drugs, birth control hormones, Prozac and perfume have all turned up in similar studies in the United Kingdom and the United States in recent years.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This is a subject that is not be adequately addressed by the medical establishment IMO.

In my local area there is no communication between the doctors offices and the pharmacies. If I have meds in my strongbox that I no longer need or the doctor has taken me off of, her advice is to take it to my local pharmacy and give it to them for proper disposal. The only problem is, the pharmacy won't accept them for disposal. Their advice? Flush them down the commode.

In my case, living in the country next to a river, guess where the meds can end up? In the river.

My relatives that live in town? It ends up in the waste treatment plant but they don't have a process for removing the meds from the wastewater. Where does it end up? In the river after the human waste is removed.

I was also a part of a discussion on a health-related board for a while that talked about this topic. One member took her unused meds and buried them in her back yard only to be berated by other members that were worried that a wild dog or coyote or something would come into her yard and dig up the meds, thereby making itself sick or dying by ingesting the meds. She went out, dug them up and... FLUSHED THEM.

We do not have an adequate means of disposing of unused meds.

JDub

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The problem right now is that the water treatment plants are not set up to filter out the drugs.
They use chlorine and other compounds to kill the bacteria then dilute that to make it "drinkable",
but they don't remove the chemicals floating in the water.

Yet all over America there are "Drug Free School Zones", what a joke.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thats all I gotta say

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join