It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is North Korea now beyond a Terrorist Nation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
With the missile tests, is North Korea worse than a Terrorist Nation? I think so.

World dynamics can change exceedingly rapidly with just one push of a button. Finding North Korean allies and enemies is essential to U.S.A., West, and World Security.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
If North Korea is now a "terrorist nation" because it has tested 2 ICBMs at an early stage of development:

Experts say that Pyongyang is developing long-range missiles to have the capability one day to deliver a nuclear bomb, but that it is years away from acquiring such a weapons system.
Source.

What would you call a country that had between 1,700 and 2,200 nuclear weapons, and
invades other countries, under false pretence?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well for starters the US has waaaay more than 2,200 nuclear weapons...

And secondly don't give us your OPINION on the Iraq war in this thread. The thread was started about North Korea... NOT the USA so leave your political BS for another thread.

North Korea is not one of the nations allowed to have nuclear weapons under the NPT agreement, the USA is.

As for N. Korea they are worse than terrorists because they are an internationally recognised nation. This gives them far more benefits than terrorists.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Shane,
Please cite sources on the U.S.'s nuclear missiles.

Thanks,
Lex

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It is true that North Korea is acting like a big shot looking for world's attention, when it is but a minor nation stuck between 3 superpowers.

But can somebody please tell why North Korea is a credible threat to either US or Europe? Yes they might have nukes. Yes they got a nutcase in power. And yes they have authoritarian government. Someday they might have nukes capable of reaching US, but who says NK does not have a right to have those missiles. But it is not a pretense to accuse North Korea of terrorism or being hostile. The fact that they want to test their missiles again (which will like fail), is only because of how much attention they got from the recent tests. Again I ask how is North Korea a direct threat to the US. To me it seems that it is no more of a threat than Iraq was- right next to none.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by maloy]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Maloy,
You said, 3 Super-Powers. I know of the U.S.
Maybe the second is the E.U. ?
Who / what is the third ?

Asking,
Lex

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by shanemcbain
Well for starters the US has waaaay more than 2,200 nuclear weapons...

And secondly don't give us your OPINION on the Iraq war in this thread. The thread was started about North Korea... NOT the USA so leave your political BS for another thread.

North Korea is not one of the nations allowed to have nuclear weapons under the NPT agreement, the USA is.

As for N. Korea they are worse than terrorists because they are an internationally recognised nation. This gives them far more benefits than terrorists.

North Korea withdrew from the NPT on January 10, 2003.

Why does testing ICBMs make North Korea a terrorist state? After being named in the "axis of evil" by Bush, I would not blame them for wishing to strengthen their defences. To know their motivation for this, all you have to do is look at the state Iraq is in today; Iraq, another country named in the "axis of evil" by Bush. These tests have been blown out of all proportion. It has only been the second test of a missile that is in its early stages of development.

U.S. National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley said the multiple firings posed no threat to U.S. territory...

...Experts say that Pyongyang is developing long-range missiles to have the capability one day to deliver a nuclear bomb, but that it is years away from acquiring such a weapons system.
Source.

What is a terrorist nation? One who invades other countries, or one who seeks to strengthen it's defences fearing that it may be next?

[edit on 7/7/06 by Implosion]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion
Maloy,

Asking,
Lex

I would imagine he is referring to China as the third.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Maloy,

Asking,
Lex

I do not know what US officially classifies as superpowers. However in my opinion China is one of the superpowers. It does not have much presence around the world, but it is certainly looking to expand its presence. Also it has immense monetary and human resources at its disposal. I also consider Russia to still be a superpower. Sure it lost much of its army and spheres of influence, but with its rich natural resources, nuclear arsenal, the military tech engineering know-how, and a strong leader, I thik that Russia can once again be considered a superpower. It surely will in another decade or so. For the first time since the fall of USSR Russia resumed making war ships, and jets for its own armed forces again.

As for EU- I cannot seee how they are a superpower (NATO maybe). It is an economic allience, full of dicord among its members, whose armed forces for the most part resemble a rag tag militia that couldn't even stabilize Serbia without American interefence. Sure they got some good weapons, but not nearly enough world influence, manpower, unity among themselves, or money to be a superpower.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Why does testing ICBMs make North Korea a terrorist state? After being named in the "axis of evil" by Bush, I would not blame them for wishing to strengthen their defences. To know their motivation for this, all you have to do is look at the state Iraq is in today; Iraq, another country named in the "axis of evil" by Bush. These tests have been blown out of all proportion. It has only been the second test of a missile that is in its early stages of development.

I completely agree. That is what I was trying to say.

Originally posted by Implosion

What is a terrorist nation? One who invades other countries, or one who seeks to strengthen it's defences fearing that it may be next?

As far as I see in the WOT, it can be just about anyone. It is a regular witch hunt, and nobody is safe. Anybody who interferes with US' globalization or attempts to secure oil resources for future consumption seem to be considered "Evil". Some pro-War On Terror people are even starting to accuse Russia of sponsoring terrorism- yeah way to go to start another Cold War. If you don't play America's game after 9/11 you might as well be labeled a terrorists. For example several nations in Ex-Soviet Central Asia (like Turkmenistan and othwer stan's) are on America's black list just because they did not want to help US when it invaded Afganistan.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
We all know that since Bush was told by God that Iran, Iraq and NK are the Axis of evil US has labeled NK a rogue state and a threat to the world.

Now the truth is that . . . NKoreans are not involved in international terrorism in or has they been in any terrorist attack in the last five decades.

Also if NK was such a terrorist nation how come it has not been any attacks on SK or Japan.

Just because the Bush administration said that NK is a terrorist nation doesn’t make them one.

Plain and simple.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Ok, when did this become a " Bash Bush " thread ?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Ok, when did this become a " Bash Bush " thread ?

For what I am concern nobody is Bashing bush, just reminding everybody of who name NK a Terrorist nation.

Perhaps the use of . . . the present administration will be more appealing to some members sensitive minds.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Marg,
Bush was told by God
Please cite a source.

Thanks,
Lex

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Bush was told by God
Please cite a source.

May I?

"President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq …" And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, "Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East." And by God I'm gonna do it.'"
Source.

Bush says God chose him to lead his nation

George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq'

[edit on 7/7/06 by Implosion]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Thanks Implosion

Sometimes is just so hard to grasp the issue even when has been beaten so many times.

I truly appreciate the link.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Is North Korea an early USSR or can they create a world nuclear war?

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
NJ is nothing more than a poor nation with poor people and a minimum of resources.

NJ claims that they are a making nuclear weapons and that they can test missiles.

Taking into consideration that the cost of testing these missiles is very high, I imagine that the money use is either the money that US gives them for aids to help the people no to starve or China, Iran and Venezuela business deals.

Still the only income that goes into that country is from foreign nations.

So that they are a to become a major nuclear power I truly doubt that at least for now or . . . until the discover their own oil in their beaches.

Remember Russia has its own natural resources.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Nk has neither the resources, the military experience or technology, the manpower, or the need to expand beyond its borders. Sure the situation between and and SK is tense, but hey war didn't break out for 40 years- how are things different now.

NK is not receiving any type of help from US. In fact they were receiving small shipments of oil before Bush came to power (to supplement their energy needs), but under Bush this stopped. That is when NK resumed its Nuclear program to actually supply energy- then weapons. Also NK does not have as good relations with Russia and China as everyone makes it seem. Both Russia and China disapprove alot of things NK is doing, and are only sending limited help to it- most of it non menetary.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Some of the Countries involve with NK either by aid or investments.

Chinese penetration of North Korea

China-NK relations, Current Affairs, Diplomacy, Economic policy, Engagement, Food Aid, Investment, Kim's family & leadership succession, Lankov on N.Korea, NK finance, Politics, Trade

www.nkzone.org...

The Bush administration Friday denied a news report it had halted food-aid shipments to North Korea and may not provide any such assistance this year. The State Department said further contributions are under consideration.

www.voanews.com...

Venezuela and Nk connect.

frontpagemag.com...

Russia offered to help NK

LONDON -- Russia secretly offered to sell North Korea technology that could help the rogue state protect nuclear stockpiles and safeguard weapons secrets from international scrutiny, but officials backed off after the arms flirtation was publicized.

www.washtimes.com...

Taking step to control NK is very hard when other countries careless.

new topics

top topics

join