It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea fire missle. Lands 600km From Japan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - North Korea has launched a missile but it was not the intercontinental missile being monitored by the United States, CNN reported on Tuesday, quoting sources.

CNN said the missile, reported to have landed in the Sea of Japan, was smaller than North Korea's Taepodong-2 missile, which is believed to be capable of hitting some parts of Alaska.

The missile landed in the sea 600 km from the Japanese mainland, Japan's NHK television reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

today.reuters.com...

it wasn't the missle that is due to be test, warning shot?

Mod Edit: cap title

[edit on 4-7-2006 by kinglizard]

Mod Edit: Title.

[edit on 12/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
ABC News reporting SECOND missile launch.

Details unclear.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Oh Hell, scary news indeed
Maybe the North Koreans are finally losing the plot and all hell is aboput to break loose. Now if i can just locate my nearest fallout shelter.....

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
wtf?

Is Kimmy Jong sending out a message? or starting a war?

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
BBC News confirming second missile.

Neither of which seem to be inter-continental.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
FOXNews have confirmed second launch.

Japanese Government has confirmed it, unclear what Japan will do or what America will do.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
To double Infinite, CNN just confirmed second missile launch as well.

Busy busy busy in North Korea today.

Spiderj

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
Busy busy busy in North Korea today.

Spiderj

Correct me if i am wrong, but hasn't North Korea sent a missle over Japan before in the past?

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
NORAD must be pretty crazy right now. And I'm sure the Japanese Defence Forces are doing a merry jig because of this.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
So I turn on the Television to see whats going on and the first thing that I see is an alert from the emergency broadcast system. Turned out to be a test but was still a bit freaky for a moment.

We could be in for an interesting day. Instead of firecrackers the warheads could be going off.

I doubt that, but had to toss it in there.

wupy

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
ABC News reporting SECOND missile launch.

Details unclear.

HOLY CRAP!! i thought you said "nuclear" i nearly messed myslef

O man this very scary very scary indeed

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
President has been informed about the two missle. Believed to be air to land, not the uber ones.

NORAD is "watching with interest". The big ones might come later, but i doubt it. This is probably Kimmy shaking the cage for attention. Its independence day in the states, is the perfect stage to get American attention.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Sorry Infinite, not quite sure. I believe they have, but someone please clarify.

I do know that two consecutive launches within an hour of eachother is odd.

I don't recall this happening in the recent past but again I am no expert on North Korea.

I can quote Team America by heart but not sure if that counts.

Spiderj

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Anyone but me find it unusual that the shuttle and N. Korea missiles are launched on the same day? Maybe I'm just making connections where none exist.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by whaaa]

link   
This is all happening on the 4th of July?

link   
They also say the first missile landed in the Sea of Japan, more than 600 miles from Japan. That might be because it's a test, or because the POS has a 600 mile CEP

They also pointed out that the tests might be a signal to get economic concessions out of China, who have been pressuring NK not to test their ICBM. For all that we tend to think the relationship between NK and China is all smiles and flowers, it's not so simple. NK has been pressuring China heavily to hand them cash to rescue their nearly nonexistent economy. I believe there have even been border skirmishes between the two countries.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
They also say the first missile landed in the Sea of Japan, more than 600 miles from Japan. That might be because it's a test, or because the POS has a 600 mile CEP

It was 600 Kilometres, not Miles.

link   
I think they mean to launch the T-2 today - what with all the other launches attempting to spoof the countermeasures.

What other reason would they have to waste what to them is still expensive hardware.

link   

Originally posted by Denied
This is all happening on the 4th of July?

North Korea are just getting American attention. What better day then to fire some toys on one of your biggest celebration.

It will be interesting what China says about this.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Everyone is at home on the fourth. TV audience potential is huge. And if you're going to throw an expensive tantrum you might as well do it when the whole neighborhood is watching.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join