It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wildfires in the west, Floods out east

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Anyone watchin these wildfires out west in Nevada, California, Washington, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Idaho?
google news reports
Wildfire Season Could Be U.S. Worst
"Statistics complied by National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho, show the 3.2 million acres burned by 54,686 fires already this year tops the 10-year average of 39,240 fires burning a million acres" And the season has only just started.

And now we have all these floods out east in Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, New Jersey, and Washington D.C.
google news reports

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I sure am!
We have 100,000 acres on fire in Nevada, at different locations.
One of which is viewable from my back window.
Most here were caused by Dry thunderstorms.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Here is the daily report from the National Fire Center.

www.nifc.gov...

It is updated daily so anytime you click on it you will have the most current report. Past reports are available elsewhere on the website.

Buried in the jargon in the report is 'WFU' -- Wildland Fire Use. There are, to use the inaccurate public media term, 'Let Burns'. Mostly in remote wilderness or backcountry areas.

Some of the larger fires, as in Nevada in this case, are a larger size because firefighters concentrate on saving homes, infrastructure, and other high value resources. The portions of the fire that are not threatening anything of significant value receive passive indirect tactics and firefighters back off to major roads to let the fire burn to them. The aggressive firefighting is saved for the aforementioned high value areas.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Was raining so hard this morning...
I was walking the dog and he loved it cause he finally felt cool.
Snapped some shots of yard....its usually very dry in this area.
Also a small stream got about a foot deep, when normally its only
a couple inches. Wierd thing is now everything is bone dry, like it
never rained at all ?

[edit on 28-6-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Over 100 miles of I-90 in central NY was closed this afternoon due to local creek flooding. That's pretty massive I would say. All roads in Otsego County (SE of Syracuse, SW of Albany) are supposedly closed. That might include I-88 which goes from Albany to Binghamton. My wife loves to remind me why she doesn't want to build on the Oneida River.

new topics

top topics

join