It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wheres my metal?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Metal is a big part of my life.

I don't listen much to traditional Heavy Metal like Iron Maiden(I do love the Killers album though), but I�m an active listener to the more extreme genres like Black, some Doom and Death metal... and I love bands with gothic, folk or symphonic elements.

Black Metal (type: Old Norwegian(beginning in the early 90s, inspired by the old #ers..Celtic Frost, Bathory, Hellhammer, Venom..etc) is probably the one sub genre that speaks to me more than any. I love Black Metal. Bands like Darkthrone, Kvist, Isvind, Immortal(r.i.p), Mayhem, Burzum, Satyricon, Carpathian Forest, Emperor, Taake, Helheim(Viking and folk based), Enslaved(Viking based with a lot of prog elements on their more recent releases)..etc.

I also listen a lot to more doom inspired or depressive Black Metal, like Nortt, Leviathan(#ing great, from San Fransisco of all places) and Abyssic Hate. Also like the more #ed up and strange type of Black Metal Abruptum serves... great.

I wouldn't lable Dimmu Borgir and the New Satyricon, Black Metal... but I do listen to it and I think it's #ing great. Especially the last few albums of Dimmu Borgir is awsome music, no mather what all the �true" people in the Black Metal scene might say about them.

Favourite bands outside the Black Metal genre are: My Dying Bride, Opeth, Dream Theater, Haggard(great 16 member symphonic death folk metal band from Germany), Tristania, Storm, Rhapsody(power, steel dragon, might..hehe, but still great), Hollenthon, The Sins Of Thy Beloved, Therion, Limbonic Art, Black Sabbath, Testament, Blind Guardian, Aeternus, Arcturus, Anathema, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, Death, Gates Of Dawn...

I also really love a band called, Summoning. They are from Austria I think and play a form of epic atmospheric black metal, with lyrics strongly influenced by JRR Tolkien's books.

I actually saw Opeth two days ago in Oslo. It was great. They played a very good set with songs from albums like: My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise, Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. The Drapery Falls, Advent, Deliverance, Demon Of The Fall, April Ethernal and Bleak where all on the playlist... as well as two songs from the new, very calm Damnation album. My neck still hurts like hell, hehe.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crowley
If you guys get a chance... I highly recommend a local metal band out of Atlanta. They are my old buddies, band is called Mastodon. They're on relapse records and completely destroying the metal scene all over the world atm. Chec'em out if you can.

Mastodon are ace.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Some of you DO like Anaal Nathrakh don't you?

Oh and go here to listen to An�mic who are my band and are ace

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Sorry I'm late!!!

I'll support you! I like a lot of metal music, mainly the oldies.
Anyhoo... Here is my metal list of my favourite bands:

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Machine Head
Iron Maiden
AC/DC
Anthrax

Ok, not as heavy as bands like In Flames... Not into much black or death metal as of yet.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Strapping Young Lad are AWESOME.
Seen them live, best concert ever!!
They're from Canada.
If you havn't heard of them check out the Album 'City'.
Possibly one of the most powerful/brutal metal albums of all time.
Previous album has a song called 'Happy Camper'. You must listen to it, its BERZEERK!!
Devin Downsend apparently had deep mental disorders when he wrote the first two albums, and it shows through the music.

There's a black metal band called Extol which I like.

I use to listen to a bit of Cannibal Corpse, but then I read their lyrics. 'Necropedophiliac' now come on, thats just WRONG

I'd listen to more black metal, but I have a thing about listening to anything thats overtly satanic. I mean Dimmu Borgir sound cool, but swearing there allegiance to the 'master satan', that is somewhat in conflict with my Christian beliefs

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AntiSystem
Metal is a big part of my life.

I don't listen much to traditional Heavy Metal like Iron Maiden(I do love the Killers album though), but I�m an active listener to the more extreme genres like Black, some Doom and Death metal... and I love bands with gothic, folk or symphonic elements.

Black Metal (type: Old Norwegian(beginning in the early 90s, inspired by the old #ers..Celtic Frost, Bathory, Hellhammer, Venom..etc) is probably the one sub genre that speaks to me more than any. I love Black Metal. Bands like Darkthrone, Kvist, Isvind, Immortal(r.i.p), Mayhem, Burzum, Satyricon, Carpathian Forest, Emperor, Taake, Helheim(Viking and folk based), Enslaved(Viking based with a lot of prog elements on their more recent releases)..etc.

I also listen a lot to more doom inspired or depressive Black Metal, like Nortt, Leviathan(#ing great, from San Fransisco of all places) and Abyssic Hate. Also like the more #ed up and strange type of Black Metal Abruptum serves... great.

I wouldn't lable Dimmu Borgir and the New Satyricon, Black Metal... but I do listen to it and I think it's #ing great. Especially the last few albums of Dimmu Borgir is awsome music, no mather what all the �true" people in the Black Metal scene might say about them.

Favourite bands outside the Black Metal genre are: My Dying Bride, Opeth, Dream Theater, Haggard(great 16 member symphonic death folk metal band from Germany), Tristania, Storm, Rhapsody(power, steel dragon, might..hehe, but still great), Hollenthon, The Sins Of Thy Beloved, Therion, Limbonic Art, Black Sabbath, Testament, Blind Guardian, Aeternus, Arcturus, Anathema, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, Death, Gates Of Dawn...

I also really love a band called, Summoning. They are from Austria I think and play a form of epic atmospheric black metal, with lyrics strongly influenced by JRR Tolkien's books.

I actually saw Opeth two days ago in Oslo. It was great. They played a very good set with songs from albums like: My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise, Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. The Drapery Falls, Advent, Deliverance, Demon Of The Fall, April Ethernal and Bleak where all on the playlist... as well as two songs from the new, very calm Damnation album. My neck still hurts like hell, hehe.

Guess you aint a Mortician fan then.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ok my best metal list (All sub genres of metal included)

Pantera
Sepultura (When they had Max Cavalara)
Metallica (even though they are wankers)
Led zeppelin ( the classic Heavy metal legends, the best)
Deep Purple
Iron Maiden(Excluding anything without Bruce Dickenson)
Earthtone9
Wishbone Ash (I love em. Influenced metallica so much)
Deftones
Him (Creators of 'Love metal' LOL)

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk

I Guess you aint a Mortician fan then.

Never heard or heard about Mortician, so I wouldn�t know. What type of music do they play?

There's a black metal band called Extol which I like.

I wouldn�t label Extol black metal, they are more technical death metal... but yeah, they rock. They played support for Opeth last month, so I saw them live then.... that was #ing great.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I like...

At The Gates
Autumn Leaves
Children of Bodom
Dark Tranquility
Immortal
Impaled
In Flames
Nevermore
Opeth

etc, etc, etc...

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I tend to like a wide variety of metal not restricted to the following bands which i've been listening to alot as of recently...

Devildriver, now come on where is the praise for this excellent right off the bat black/thrash/death metal band?
Opeth
Emperor
Sammael
Old Metallica, gotta love the oldies but goodies
Dimmu Borgir, Stormblast and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant in particular
Testament
Brujeria, definately some of the sickest # i've ever heard
Dark Funeral
Borknagar
Mayhem
Burzum

and many more that I really dont feel like listing right now.

[Edited on 13-11-2003 by barefly]

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Papa Roach
KoRN
Static X
Metallica
Good Charotte
Ozzy!!!!

I know. Im a really headbanger :bash:

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
DIECAST!! they kick a$$

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 01:08 PM
link   
One semi-metalhead reporting

My music taste covers almost everything from jazz to metal.

Goddammit I 'm pissed off 'cos I didn't get to see Maiden a couple of days a go. Well, I've seen them live three times, but it would've been nice to see them once more.

Top 3 metalbands:

1. Iron Maiden
2. Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend
3. Dream Theater (DT is also very fun to play on bass
)

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   
heres what i listen to:
godsmack
slipknot
system of a down
rob zombie
and some old school shyt like:
metallica (old)
megadeth
overkill
mercyfull fate

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
While I like the majority of choices, I am a little disturbed by the lack of ENTOMBED!

I get the distinct feeling that people have not heard them..............
Right, get some entombed then come back and edit your post to include them - that means all of you! lol

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Heres the list of Metal bands that I listen to: (in no particular order)

Demons and Wizards
Helloween
Iron Maiden
Scorpions
Beethoven R
Tesla
Metallica
Gorki
Bruce Dickinson
Gorky Park
Sebastien Bach
Andi Deris
Mago De Oz
In Flames
Dokken
Alexander Minkov
Blind Guardian
Lacuna Coil
Rhapsody
Metallica
System of a Down
Kamelot
Iced Earth
Rough Silk
Children of Bodom
Nocturnal Rites
BlackMoore's Night
Dream Theatre
NightWish
Gamma Ray
Angra
Blaze (Blaze Bailey)
Edguy
Thunderstone
Mystic Prophecy
Stratovarius
Graveworm
Evergrey

[Edited on 1-8-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Yeah older metal is great.New metal sucks its just a bunch of teens wearing Metallica shirts.

Manowar
Twisted Sister
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Tesla
Motley Crue
W.A.S.P
Deep Purple
Anthrax
UFO
Led Zepplin
Blue Oyster Cult
Judas Priest
Guns N Roses
Van Halen
Posien

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You said metal...
I also like the old classic ones like Led Zep, Deep (Into The Fire) Purple, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Black Sabbath... and I can go on and on...
But you said "Metal", so here is some of which comes to my mind at the moment :

Helmet
Painkiller
Slayer (w/Lombardo)
Godflesh
Brutal Truth
Tomahawk
Fantomas

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
C'mon, only 1 for Tool and 2 for SOAD, you know you can be artsy and metal'ish at the same time. The golden age was definately the 80's, no doubt. No Doubt? How did they get into this thread?

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Strapping Young Lad
Machine Head
Fear Factory
Deicide
Cannibal Corpse
System of a Down
opeth
Black Sabbath
Sadistik Exekution
Slipknot