It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole drains most of Scott Lake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Here's an article I read today. There's some footage with this also.
Sinkhole drains most of Scott Lake

Polk County, Florida - A large sinkhole in Scott Lake has now drained most of the lake.

You get the best view of Scott Lake and the sinkhole in the south end from Sky 10. The view from a helicopter shows the sinkhole has opened up substantially in the past couple of days, but geologists think it may have plugged itself for now.

Sinkhole video

First thing that comes to mind is that ocean vortex happening off the west coast off Australia. Here's the thread to that story:
Ocean vortex 'death trap' discovered

Hmm...

~DearWife

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Holy Lakebottoms, Batman!

Interesting story, bad for the fish, bad for the homeowners, good for the birds apparently.

How though, do you think it might be related to the Austrailian Vortex?
It seems to me that the lake just drained into a limestone cavern complex..

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Holy Lakebottoms, Batman!

Interesting story, bad for the fish, bad for the homeowners, good for the birds apparently.

How though, do you think it might be related to the Austrailian Vortex?
It seems to me that the lake just drained into a limestone cavern complex..

Good question. I have no idea if they are related, it's just that I remembered the votex phenomenon as I was watching the vid. Like you, I did wonder if the lake was draining into some underground cavern. I'm not sure if the same thing is happening near Australia though.

I heard that caverns go pretty far down into the earth. Sort of reminds me of the scene from the Journey to the center of the earth where the travelers find a deep subterranean ocean.

Here's a search I did on:
florida caverns

Wonder if this lake is nearby one of those places.

~DearWife

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
There was also that lake that disappeared practically overnight in Russia as well not too long ago. Those homeowners must really be upset to have lakeside homes with no lake.

Pie

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
There was also that lake that disappeared practically overnight in Russia as well not too long ago. Those homeowners must really be upset to have lakeside homes with no lake.

Pie

Hmm...thanks for this bit of info. I just looked that one up and here's the article:
Vanishing lake baffles Russians

Oh, there's already a thread created for that one:
Russian Lake Disappears

~DearWife

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Lots of things happening on planet earth. Lot's of big events.

Troy

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
that's just wild. There goes those people's property values, no more "lakeside" home.

"There's places in Florida where it's more likely to happen, there's less cover thickness but pretty much in Florida this is something that can pretty much happen anywhere.”

that quote says it all, should build on swamps. Central Florida especially seems to have a problem with sinkholes, but like the quote says it could happen anywhere.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This event originally occurred in 2006 and is not a recent event

But in light of the recent sinkhole events I wanted to post some present day Google Earth Images of the Lake that once was, Scott lake.

Here is a YT video from Channel 13 news regarding the original story. This was before all the water had drained:

Here is a short amateur video after most of the water had drained:

Here is a link to a gallery of pictures taken around that time:

Sink Hole Photos

Here a few from that gallery:

And here...are Google Earth images (27°57'51.93" N 81°56'26.19" W), one of the Lake before the sinkhole, a separate image during, and the most recent Google Earth image of the Lake today. Take note of how much the shore line has changed and how many of the docks are way up on shore.

Before:

During:

After:

As you can see from the photos the lake has appeared to bounce back from when it first drained. Nonetheless, to me has always been a pretty fascinating sinkhole(s).

top topics

join