It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ECW...but is it any good?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I was a big fan of ECW back in the day,
I live on Long Island where ECW basically thrived.
Back then, it was the cure to everything bad that "sports entertainment" did to pro-wrestling.
Then it died.
So now, under the thumb of Mcmahon, ECW is back.
But, it kind of sucks!
It's really a bunch of old has-beens (I mean that in the nicest possible way) and broken old men (except Kurt Angle, he is truly a wrestling messiah).
I really loved ECW, but now...
I'm not so sure what to think.
What do you people think?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Yeah, it looks like it's going to suck pretty bad...
There are actually more wrestlers from Raw on the show than actual ECW wrestlers.
Freakin' disapointment!

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I went to this year's one night stand (love my RVD chair) ... all I can tell you is maybe some of them are old, but they're still nuts.

Sabu and Terry Funk really stood out from the rest. Sabu puts Hollywood stuntmen to shame.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm a NY'er too so I have a affinity to ECW, at least the older ECW.
Sabu, that guy is crazy.
One of these days, he's going to kill himself.
But seriously, the new ecw is pretty sad.
It's unfortunate.
If only tna could expand their operations, they'd rock the wrestling business.
I'm all about the x division.
But I remember going to the old ecw shows here on the island, and man, all of the wrestlers (except for New Jack, he never wanted to hang out, although he always seemed like he had a lot going on) would hang out with us after the shows.
One time, Paul Heyman walked right past us and I stopped and pointed at him.
He stopped right in his tracks and pointed back.
Then he just walked up to us and started talking to us, like we were friends.
He didn't have to do that, but he was just so appreciative that we came to the show, that he wanted to give back to the fans.
Another time, my friends and I were just hanging out outside the rec center after a show with Jazz and Teddy Long.
Just hanging out.
In fact, I have a Tommy Dreamer shirt that was given to me by Tommy himself (well, he gave it to a family friend of his to give to me, but still, it came from him).
You don't really see that kind of interaction between wrestlers and fans with the wwe.
Although, I went to my first roh show last month, and all of the wrestlers loved hanging out with the fans.
That's what it's about.
Fans appreciate the wrestlers for a job well done.
Wrestlers appreciate the fans for showing their support.
There should be a mutual relationship based on respect.
But I'm getting off topic.
Aside from a few guys, the new ecw is going to tank.
In fact, I was reading on a wrestling website (I know, don't believe everything you read on the internet) that now it's starting to sink in with the ecw guys that this job really sucks.
I know these guys/gals need to make a living, but this show is really ridiculous.
What do you people think?

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It is sad the best wrestlers they have they got from WWE. I give it a year, maybe a year and a half, before it fails again.

TNA, meh, they pick up the scraps of the WWE. "WHat, you suck, have no talent, so were fired? Come to us!" Sad.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I missed this weeks show, but if it was anything like the first one I would say no. I missed the days when it was some public access type channel in Philly

I still wonder if New Jack is alive...

[edit on 6/24/2006 by Binky]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Gigram,
no...
I mean guys like AJ Styles, Fallen Angel Cristopher Daniels, Samoa Joe (that guy is freakin' awesome!), Chris Sabin (although, he has zero charisma), Alex Shelly (I love that guy), Jay Lethal (much potential) and a few others.
Those guys are seriously the future of pro-wrestling (because sports entertainment sucks! In fact, on cafepress.com I have a mini-store selling shirts that say "sports entertainment sucks!" [ahem...shameless plug...])
Don't get me wrong, I watch raw (just out of habit, I've been watching it since it was primetime wrestling, then the bobby heenan show [remember that?] and then eventually, raw. I'll never really give that up.) but I don't watch smackdown (cause it sucks!) and I'll definitely give the new ecw a chance, but it'll tank.
Just give it a few months.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Joey Styles even admitted he hated the One Night Stand PPV! Sabu is a legend though, and he's absolutely insane. The new ECW will probably fail, I agree. I've been watching WWE since I was about 5 and I don't plan on missing RAW in the future, especially now that DX is back. WWE needs to hire new, and much better writing staff cause the stories suck! WWE needs a lot of help to get back to the "attitude" days. Now it's mainly a semi-violent soap opera for little kids. :shk:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I just want to know why the Sci-Fi channel was chosen for the new generation of ECW...

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Because no one else wanted it!

ALso, why does WWE fire great wrestlers to hire new guys that no one likes?

Dudleys... Gone, who replaced them? Spirit Squad!
Christian... Gone, who replaces him? Umanga
Chris Jericho... Gone, who replaces him? Matt Striker
Ryhno and Raven... Gone, who replaces them? Two redneck guys that suck
Why not go back to TNA and go "Sorry guys, we screwed up, here's a buttload of money to come back."

I know guys like X-Pac and Jeff Hardy won't come back cause they were let go for failing the drug tests, but still, what ever happened to Billy Gunn?

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
First, ECW is on scifi because wwe has a contract with USA networks, and scifi is under the USA umbrella.
Second, well, yeah, no one else would take it.

But yeah, sports opera totally sucks!
Thats really why I started really liking tna and roh, because they say straight up that they're pro wrestling, not sports entertainment.

Oh, just so that you know, Paul Heyman isn't exactly thrilled with the wwe version of ecw either (at least, that's what I heard).

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Yep...
Another weak show last night!
At least they don't have to change the name, it can just be called Extremely Corny Wrestling!

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
ECW are in big trouble! RVD and Sabu were arrested on Sunday night for possession of cannabis and pain killers. This explains why Edge won the WWE title on RAW the other day.

Shame on them. :shk:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Shame on the wwe for sucking so bad!
I don't even think that they try anymore, they just figure that most people are stupid and will spend money on any old product they produce, no matter how awful it is.
Freakin' shameful!

join