It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Compromises, Allows Iran Special Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The US compromised on a new deal with Iran which will allow it certain enrichment activities. The fact that Iran had reached small levels of enrichment discouraged countries from thinking they would give it up. There alternative to that issue, allow them certain enrichment privilages. This certain enrichment activity would be uranium conversion, a precusor to enrichment.

www.jpost.com
World powers have compromised on a demand that Iran commit to a long-term moratorium on uranium enrichment and are asking only for suspension during talks on Tehran's nuclear program, diplomats said Wednesday.

In another concession, Iran would be allowed to carry out uranium conversion, a precursor to enrichment, if it agrees to multination talks, said the diplomats. They spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to divulge the contents of the offer made by six countries to Tehran Tuesday in a bid to defuse the Iranian nuclear standoff.

Such changes to long-standing international demands on enrichment are important, because they signal possible readiness to accept some limited form of the activity, despite fears that it can be misused to make the fissile core of nuclear warheads.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can already see what they are trying to do here. First I don't think Iran will bite at this at all. They definately aren't going to pause their program again for talks, so thats going to make them look bad. Uranium conversion and enrichment aren't the same things. I think this is a ploy to make Iran look even worse, knowing they won't accept it. Anything sort of certain enrichment and not having to pause their program, I don't think an agreement can be made.

Related News Links:
seattletimes.nwsource.com

new topics

join