It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 technologies that deserve to die

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:03 PM
link   
What do you guys think of this??? I personally don't agree with some of it. I agree with 1,2,3,5 & 9.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
i agree with some but not all. like prisons if we let all the inmates go that were in prison how would we control them ? the braclets can be removed and then they run and we never see them again where is the logic in that prisons will always be around.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Thats really odd they would want DVD's to die out. I'm sure alot of system admins would much rather tote around a few dvdr's as their offsite backup than a whole raid array! Reduntant to toss murderers in a cage? Thought I think they are better off being executed for killing another person, given the option to have them on some bs kind of house arrest, or seeing them tucked away in a metal and concrete box, I'll take the box any day of the week.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I agree with nukes, incandescent bulbs, cosmetic implants, lie detectors, land mines, and coal power. I wouldn't mind seeing the internal combustion engine go, but we need an alternative before that happens.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
What's wrong with cosmetic implants ??

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   
How can DVDs die out!!
everyone is tending to switch to DVDs now. I would die without my player

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Ok how about we let all the prisoners go, but they have to be subject to mandatory cosmetic implants. Kinda prevents repeat offense if you know you going back into the big house sportin a nice rack.
j/k

Letting them out on house arrest is retarded. They aren't in there as punishment, they are in there to protect the rest of society from them. People are confusing the purpose of jails. They were never intended for rehabilitation, although maybe they should be. They were only intended to take the dangerous element out of society so the rest of us can go about our lives more securely

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   
1-5 must go

6-9 i could do with out

10 wtf I love DVDs I am a consumer whore after all aren't I? Aren't We?

link   

Originally posted by tealc
i agree with some but not all. like prisons if we let all the inmates go that were in prison how would we control them ?

I agree with a few of them including prisons. Who says we have to let them go???? If they are there for murder or rape, they should be killed anyway IMHO. So do away with them and come up with better ways to punish all other "minor" offenders.

link   
PS:

Jack off Jill is the #.

MY CAT COOL CAT! lol

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Remember, this is only an opinion of the writer. As for me:

Nukes: I'd have to agree with this. Nukes definately must go. I mean, we have a whole stack of nukes, waiting to be launched since the Cold War, and we've still never used them! They could have a use if we were in World War 4 or something but really, it's pointless, not to mention dangerous to be even in possession of them. Other more peaceful uses of nuclear power can be utilized, but I don't think that hey should until modern science can property utilize them to be efficient and safe.

Coal power: Coal is extremely polluting. It has to go sometime in the future, but not now, since we depend on it to much.

Internal combustion engines: Once again, just about every car uses it, so to rid of it would only hurt ourselves. I don't really have an opinion here, but I'm sure that it will be replaced by some other efficient, less-polluting source of engine power. The only reason I can think of to rid of it is it's noise. I hate noisy cars!!!!

Incandecent light bulbs: They don't produce much light, so they sould be replaced. I prefer the artificial lighting of florecent. Also, they burn out too fast, and heat up too easily.

Land mines: One of the worst horrors of war. No need to say more.

Manned spaceflight: Well, advances will be made, so I think efforts should be made to improve it. Space is man's only hope once we've repopulated the earth, so I see no reason why we shouldn't make an effort towards it.

Prisons: I think criminals are best left alone in their jail cells. The lenghty confinement should teach them not to do wrong again. Actually, I'm not sure about how criminals react to being locked up, so I can't really say much about this.

Cosmetic implants: It's people's own choice if they want it.

Lie detectors: I have to agree, they are getting a bit old. Perhaps the concept of a lie detector should still be kept. The machines just need adjustments in their design, that's all.

DVDs: There is a disadvantage to every storage medium, but I think they should stick around for now. It's the best thing we've got besides those old casettes.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I THINK the coal supplies will run out in about 200 years or so anyway.
I think nukes are excellent peace keepers, since thier invention there have been no large scale wars and likely there will not be any time soon. I'm really not to worried about them.
Land mines are too effective in wars, they will never go away.
We cant say on Earth forever, and there are ways around the dangers of deep space flight, by the very nature of it though it will never be all that 'safe'.
I agree with combustion engines, as saucerat says though, we need an alternative first.
I could care less about light bulbs or cosmetic implants.
Might as well get rid of lie detectors.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Do away with manned space flight?! No freakin' way. Anyone who suggests so needs beat.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 12:58 AM
link   
All those things will be here as long as we buy them and strive for them when that stops the supplyers will change the Sell its that Simple. So dont just wish it for them to desiper Do something about.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The Number One Science that simply the whole planet MUST (IMO) be rid of & that list never even considered it:

POLITICAL SCIENCE

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
What do you guys think of this??? I personally don't agree with some of it. I agree with 1,2,3,5 & 9.

i can say almost all on that list is not crap. the only one i can 100% agree with is #9. cause they really, do not work.

1. Nuclear Weapons, yes id be nice if no one had them, but iit's too late for all that. If we got rid of them, some one else would build 'um. (then we cant say, "nuke 'um)

2. Coal - we got enough coal in the US under our soil that we could like in a world without gasoline or oil, need i say more?
(well this too,) there is now something called, clean coal, i learned about the # in like 6th grade for petes sake!
and i got a aunt who lives near a coal power plant, (1-2 miles) and you wouldnt even know it by looking at his neighborhood or house, there is no soot, so all that b.s. they say can go out the window.

3. THE INTERNAL-COMBUSTION ENGINE - ok ill admit it, i love the sound of a nice big pick-up truck, and zooming on my ski-doo, and jet-ski (2 cycle, eat that [edit] enviro-fuc_s! [end edit])
where would we be without it?
you cannot force companies to build # that is (a) too expensive to build, (if you had a choice would you buy a car thats $10000 and runs on cheap gas or $40000 and runs on hydrogen (which is b.s.)) or (b) not existant yet

4. INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULBS - what the matter with these bulbs, it warming my hands right now,

j/k, if you as a consumer was presented with (a) a lightbulb for 30 cents or (B) a lightbulb for $1 which would you buy?
Honestly these bulbs will go away as long as people want bulbs that suck up less juice and are cheap to buy (those new twisty shaped bulbs rock! they last forever!)

5. LAND MINES - don't we wish? but what are we going to use when the NWO comes in with their tanks?

6. MANNED SPACEFLIGHT - ok sure, then lets not bother going to Mars either. Jeesh!

7. Prisons - ARE YOU CRAZY! There are just some people who never change, you may have met someone like this in your life, and sadly they have to go somewhere. Do you want a kiddy-rapist loose?

8. COSMETIC IMPLANTS - well, as long as Mrs. wants bigger breats to show off to Mr. they will always exist. Plus come on, a feminist musta wrote this.

9. Lie Detectors, well i agree, they are only 98% right when it can tell your "lieing", you can outwit those damn things as long as you believe what you say, plus alot of those things are rigged.

10. DVD's - come on get real, maybe in 20 years yeah, but me, i still like VHS cause your brothers or anyone else cant scratch the VHS,

Heres my feed, eat up,

~BWBT~

[Edited on 23-10-2003 by BeingWatchedByThem]

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I disagree with manned spaceflight. We need to keep that going strong, and get our happy asses off this stupid ball of dirt.

But let me add to the list:

1/ Cell phones. I need no lab research to show me that cellphones make people not only braindamaged, but shallow and annoying. This curse on the world, this superfical shallow sense of importance one gets by toting these contraptions around, while disrupting traffic, being rude to friends, has to go.

2. Biological warfare. Its worse than nukes, because it can spread and come back and smack you in the face. A stupid idea, whoever came up with germs as weapons. Duh!

3. Chemotherapy. As well as other medical toxic cures and drugs. Ever watch those drug commercials, where they have a lovely scene of sernetiy and family togetherness, trying to tell you this drug will take care of your problem, then, when they read off the side effects, they are worse than the #ing diseases they are supposed to cure! Chemotherapy might kill your cancer, but the damage it does to you, hair loss, sexual dysfunction, organ damage, immune system damage, bone damage, ect is liek ten times worse than the cancer! Dying from some of these diseases would be kinder then having to live a slow death from the cures!

4. Calculators. People have forgotten how to use thier brains to perform both simple and complex math problems. Its disgusting to see some college grad have to pull out a calculator to figure out what 100 - 26 is.

5. Spycams. Im sick of seeing the damn things.

6. ATM and credit cards. No need to explain how evil those #ers are.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 08:59 AM
link   
1.Nuclear Weapons

Agree.

"If all nuclear weapons vanished tomorrow, the world's current military situation would not be affected one whit. The U.S.A. would still be military top boss. Yet we'd be much less likely to wake up one morning to find Paris or Washington missing."

The world would be better without them,but then again,there would be more wars because countries wouldn't be afraid of the ennemies nuke's.
USA may have the most advanced army,but not the most powerful.

2.Coal based power
Disagree

Coal may pollute the atmosphere,but nuclear waste pollutes the air,the water and the ground.

3.Combustion
Agree
We must use another non-polluting energy source.

4.Light bulbs.

Hmmm...

5.Land mines

Agree.there's more civilians dead from mines than military EVER.

6.Agree

Going to the moon or mars is useless.there's major problems on earth to be resolved before exploring the solar system.

7.Disagree

The world would be anarchy without prisons.

8.Cosmetic implants.

Agree

9.Lie detectors.

Agree.they're nonsense.

10.DVD's

Disagree

top topics

join