It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RCAF News

page: 1

join
share:
jra

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The RCAF has been looking for a new transport aircraft that has a much greater range and carrying capacity. The two options that they've been looking at were, the An-124 and the C-17. This monday it should be officially announced that Canada will purchase 4 C-17's, as well as 15 C-130J's to replace old ones Canada currently has.

Hopefully what i've heard is correct as I don't have any links to support this at the moment. I think it's great news though. It's nice to see the RCAF getting some new planes, even if it's only transport aircraft.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I can't find anything definately confirming it, but people from Canada are talking about it and it sounds like they're definately leaning that way. Boeing says they have to enter talks by the end of June if they want them, but that appears to be a marketing ploy. The other possibility I saw besides the C-17 was the IL-76.

[edit on 6/3/2006 by Zaphod58]

jra

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I believe the IL-76 was considered as well, but I think it was mostly the C-17 or the An-124 that were being looked at.

Here are some past articles on the subject for those of you who haven't read too much about this.

www.sfu.ca...
www.ploughshares.ca...

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Yeah, from what I've read the IL-76 came up as more of a "For the price of X number of C-17s we can buy Y more IL-76s." The C-17 is a good choice for them. The RAF also has four that are leased, that IIRC they are going to purchase, with an additional 1-2 airframes. Their C-130s are getting old and worn out, so the combination of the J model, and the C-17 is a good one. The performance of the C-130J is exponentially better than the H model they currently fly.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Transport aircraft are all fun and good, but we REALLY need to replace those damn Sea King helicopters. Those things are actually crashing and killing people!

For the record at one point Canada was considering buying into the JSF program until the cost absolutely skyrocketed.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
Transport aircraft are all fun and good, but we REALLY need to replace those damn Sea King helicopters. Those things are actually crashing and killing people!

For the record at one point Canada was considering buying into the JSF program until the cost absolutely skyrocketed.

Wow, way to NOT talk about the specific subject at hand, I'm sorry, but you knocked on alot of other subjects without touching this one.

I just find it funny the irony is all.

Go with the C-17, keep the Il planes out of our neighborhood! Damn Mexicans and buying them Su-27s.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Very well-I would prefer that Canada buy the Il-76. It's Russian and as you can tell by my background I happen to like Russian airplanes

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Yeah.

I like Russian planes too, only I would prefer to see more C-17's, they are purdy planes after all.

So wait, the Il would have the capacity to carry 2 Abram tanks?

America is lacking.

Shattered OUT...

jra

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Not that I have anything against C-17's. They are indeed really nice cargo aircraft, but I myself was kind of hoping they'd go for the An-124's. Statistically it would have been a much better deal in terms of both cost and cargo capacity. But i'm guessing there are poitical issues for the Canadian Government to consider when deciding between a US and Russian (well Ukrainian technically) built aircraft.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The Seakings have a replacement lined up being the Cyclone and the Cormorant has already replaced the Labs and other Seakings on costal portals. The only Seakings really left are those on the ships and that what needs to be replaced still and they will be sooner then later hopefully. here is a link to the dnd site for the cyclone www.airforce.forces.gc.ca...

Also where are you gusy getting your source information because i have heard that they were in process of looking into other planes but i never heard the specifics.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I think that Canada should go with the C-17, I we are in a war chances are that the States will be there to. So we should set our selves to work as seamlessly as possible.
Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well i got some links now to information for these potential C-17 sales so it not just un linked/backed up speculation.

On wikipedia has some info on their c-17 section.
en.wikipedia.org...
look for the heading called Canadian forces

I think that the idea of 4 C-17s and the rest ie. 16 c-130j would be a nice idea lets see if it happens.

jra

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Well there still seems to be no decision yet, but one of my friends did hear talk of it on the radio. Basically the Def. Minister was annoucing that they were going to be asking for a bid or something like that. I also found some more links on the subject for those who maybe interested.

“In an attempt to show action on military procurement, the Conservative government is about to proceed with a rushed military airlift purchase which does not conform to the most urgent needs of our Canadian Forces in their current mission in Afghanistan,” Mr. Dosanjh said.

“This purchase will also depart from the long-held tradition of ensuring that maintenance of Canadian military aircraft is done by the Canadian aerospace industry,” he said.

As revealed in the media over the weekend, the Government is expected to announce in a matter of days a major acquisition of strategic airlift in the form of 4 Boeing C-17s purchased through the United States Government. However, this procurement runs contrary to the needs of the Canadian Forces stationed in Afghanistan. Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Rick Hillier has repeatedly said that the Forces--in-theatre--require tactical airlift, helicopters, and trucks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At the top of Mr. O'Connor's list will be four new C-17 Globemaster cargo jets, which the sources said would be bought directly from the U.S. manufacturer, Boeing, in a "sole source" acquisition.

The government will also be asked to approve the purchase of 17 tactical transports -- smaller, propeller-driven aircraft that can land troops or cargo in remote, rough airstrips. The likely winner of that contract will be the C-130J, the latest model of the venerable Hercules now in service with the Canadian air force.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There's also an interesting discussion about the C-17 and the An-124 here.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Found a link on msn today about military spending for the CF's

news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca...

"That same report said that an official announcement about helicopters will come on Wednesday in Edmonton. The government is expected put out to tender for 15 new helicopters at a cost of about $4.2 billion.

Finally, on Thursday at CFB Trenton in Ontario, the government is expected to announce a competition worth $4.6 billion to replace Canada's aging fleet of Hercules aircraft, some of which date back to the 1960s.

The Conservatives are also promising to buy at least four C-17 transport planes, which are massive heavy-lift aircraft, at a cost of $3 billion.

Ever since their election in January, the Harper government has emphasized a commitment to boost military spending."

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It is reported in Flight today that Canada is all set to announce its order for the C-17, in addition to that Boeing has ordered long lead items for five additional aircraft for the RAF and orders for a couple of planes each are expected from Holland and Sweden.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Now are we still getting more C-130 is my question? With the expenses of buying 4 C-17's how many if any C-130's would Canada be looking at getting? hmmm questions that u must answer.... but if someone has the info handy that be great too.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
According to the report I mentioned in my last post the Canadian buy will consist of 4 C-17's and 17 C-130J's

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yeah thats the exact same as mine is saying so im guessing its pretty close to what they are thinking of as of right now.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Darkpr0, I know how you feel, this article is especially embarassing considering we don't even have helicopters for use in our own country if there was a disaster of somesort. At least the new government is proceeding with action as opposed to the previous government.

www.canada.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The previous goverment are the ones that made the deal for the new helicopters, they did so late but it was still under their tenure.

Either way I think it would have been interesting if they took a stab at the An-70 for medium transport instead of the C-130... looks to be a very promising plane if further developed and tested.

www.antonov.com...

new topics

top topics

join