It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of SB 1437 ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Some information can be found here, and of course you can google it.

This is what is seen as many as a pro-homosexual bill for public schools in California. For example, references to gender will have to be suppressed, to the extent that "mom" and "dad" cannot be used in curriculum. "Legal custodians" can.

There will have to be chapters in textbooks specifically on the contribution of gays, lesbians and transsexual to our society. While I appreciate such contributions, I personally don't care much about person's sexual orientation and the bill seems like a bizzarre and wasteful idea to me, based on a personal agenda of Senator Kuhel, a lesbian.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
As much as I'm pro gay rights, I think this is kind of silly.

Well-intentioned for sure, but goofy, I mean how is something like this supposed to be implemented? Who gets to go through the textbooks and add in the details of the various historical figures' love lives? How exactly do you work that in?

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Well, I can see both sides of this. But really, come on. Just like I don't think there should be a black history month, or a Latina history month, I don't think this should be done either. This political correctness is going to cause so many problems down the road in my opinion. Now if there is something like, King Henry, and I suppose that there may have been a Queen Marcus? I can see that working out, fine. But I really don't care if Andy Warhol was blue, green, black, white, gay, straight, pansexual. He was an artist, we should study his art. I'm very pro gay ( thank goodness) and I don't think this is necessary.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I don't think it's possible for me to care less about a persons sexual orientation. I'm straight, so what, who aside from me cares?

This bill is PC'ness run amuk. When did mom, dad, become dirty words? What a strange world we've come to, Toto.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Danger Will Robinson;

This says nothing about words like "mom" and "dad" being changed to become politically correct.

From what I can see this bill will recognise the contribution of gays, lesbians and other sexualities and make it legal for those to be put in California textbooks.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Why is it necessary to know a person's sexual orientation in order to recognize their "contributions"? In quotes because contributions to what was never spelled out.

It's a gay agenda, nothing more. And it's no surprise that it came from California.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Why yes! The contributions in Hollywood by Transexuals around the area of
Santa Monica and La Brea are well known, I think Eddie Murphy had a run-in with
one of them, and they can be found, for those that care, at night all along the
streets of the area looking to get a $$$ contribution from anyone that stops.

join